AR Barrel Nut Problem

What float tube mfg. are you using? Contact them with your problem they should help you out with this even if they have too send you a complete new assembly. No company wants anyone talking about how there product didn't work or fit.

What float tube mfg. are you using? Contact them with your problem they should help you out with this even if they have too send you a complete new assembly. No company wants anyone talking about how there product didn't work or fit.

The manufacturer is sending me a couple (I have to return one) that index differently so
I suspect that this will cure what ails me.

This is a great thread as I will be doing this soon. I think I will order an extra barrel nut or two just in case [laugh]. I have a couple of questions if I may;
Do all new barrels have the barrel extension on them?
What about headspacing after assembly?
Will any torque wrench such as a craftsman suffice or is there a particular brand/type that is used?

Patriot, good luck with the build.

Usually, but you should ask. Installing the extension is generally beyond the capabilities of most home armorers and buying barrels with the extension installed and gas port drilled is usually the best way to go.

This is a great thread as I will be doing this soon. I think I will order an extra barrel nut or two just in case [laugh]. I have a couple of questions if I may;
What about headspacing after assembly?
Will any torque wrench such as a craftsman suffice or is there a particular brand/type that is used?

Patriot, good luck with the build.

Headspace is not something that you can change on an AR (from a practical point of view), it is a function of the interaction between the bolt and the chamber. If you have a gun that is not headspaced properly then something is either out of spec or worn out.

Barrel extentions are almost always installed on the barrel this is not a job for the in home gunsmith.
All AR barrels are properly head spaced to fit any receicer and bolt for the caliber unless the barrel is short chambered. This is a gunsmith barrel and is designed this way so the gunsmith can chamber the barrel to match the bolt. This is aslo not a job for the home gunsmith.

I will take a few pictures and post them. I ordered a WOA CMP barrel, bolt, float tube, along
with some other parts to complete my AA upper. The initial barrel nut wouldn't cut it as far
as getting it aligned. WO sent me two others and one worked somewhat. The torque is
set less than the 35 ft lbs specified but it works for me. The other nut that was sent had
similar characteristics as the original one. Wouldn't line up worth a damn.

Where I am now is (if I can get a moment to concentrate on this and this alone) I have to
loctite the float tube onto the barrel nut and secure the float tube position. Once that is
done all I really have to do is put the front site on, insert the gas tube, pin it, put on the
handguards, bolt and bolt carrier, then put it on the lower and go shootin'. I bought the
bolt from WO as they headspace it to the barrel so I don't have to worry about that aspect
of the assembly.

Last edited:
Barrel extentions are almost always installed on the barrel this is not a job for the in home gunsmith.
All AR barrels are properly head spaced to fit any receicer and bolt for the caliber unless the barrel is short chambered. This is a gunsmith barrel and is designed this way so the gunsmith can chamber the barrel to match the bolt. This is aslo not a job for the home gunsmith.

So Basically if I order a new barrel and install it, and my bolt is also new I should be good to go?

Headspace is not something that you can change on an AR (from a practical point of view), it is a function of the interaction between the bolt and the chamber. If you have a gun that is not headspaced properly then something is either out of spec or worn out.

To be specific, it is a function of the interaction or fit between the bolt and barrel extension.

Pictures

My rifle finished with the exception of either a carry handle sight or a trijicon acog.
10_18_2009017a.jpg

WOA CMP barrel, bolt, float tube. AA upper and lower, Stag LPK, Stag stock and grip.

Huge thanks are due to: icyclefar, cperalta1 & Fixxah.

NES folks are really great people!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom