AR 15 not picking up the next round

I was having a similar situation earlier this year with a new build, and I found that the bolt release was out of spec; the corner of the catch was dragging on the BCG slowing it down just enough to cause similar issues. I swapped it out (the bolt release) and problems went away. Is there a wear mark on the top of the bolt release (catch) or on the bottom of the BCG?

Talked to a couple of shops today and my issue could be MAG related , I'm using a bushmaster 10 rd , bought one so I could come to commiechusetts to shoot , the spring pressure may not be enough to get the follower up fast enough ? will try another mag , didn't have one that day.

I did look at my bolt and bolt catch and no sign of them hitting.

I have been fiddling around with the rifle as it is still not operating properly. Neither of the two BCGs I have are cleanly entering the barrel. They get hung up on the extension face.This is my new PTAC complete upper 2014-01-11 13.33.02.jpg

this is the rifle that is having issues. 2014-01-11 13.31.47.jpg

Same BCG used in each.
In both cases I have simply let go right above the barrel extension and this is where the BCG rests. I am thinking it is the barrel being out of spec, which SUCKS as I have a comp pinned on already.

Thoughts?

You gots a weird problem there.

You are sure the gas tube is not bent or crooked?

Where in southeast MA are you, I'm interested in taking a look at it.

2014-01-11 15.01.22.jpg Gas tube is mildly crooked but their is alot of resistance when pulling the bolt from the extension, I cant see that happening because of the gas tube..

Pull the gas tube out of the upper and try the bolt again

eta
Did you try with the charging handle removed? I remember a guy was having crazy problems all day at a carbine match, somebody had his whole gun taken apart, looking at gas rings and everything, I picked the charging handle up off the bench, and saw that the latch roll pin was half way walked out. It wouldn't allow the bolt to close.

Last edited:
... yep. Good thing I am not a gunsmith. Guess I will have to screw around with the barrel nut to try and line it up better. Thank you very much.

Gas tube misaligned prevented it from properly entering. Just backed off the barrel nut a tiny bit and its going in smoothly now. Will bring it to the range tomorrow to test it out.

Back
Top Bottom