AR 15 chamber

Urj

What is the trick to getting the chamber of an AR15 clean? I've got a ton of crap built up in-between the lugs and the breech of the barrel. How do you get inside there?

I'm using Reington Brite Bore, and lots of Q-tips. I cant seem to get in behind the lugs due to the geometry. I squirted the chamber with the Brite Bore to flood it out and it helped.

I'll look for a carbon scraper. Thanks for the reply!

Urj, as mentioned in a previous post, an AR15 chamber brush is what you need. To use it effectively, a cleaning rod with a non-rotating handle (important) long enough to insert the solvent-soaked brush through the receiver and into the chamber as you rotate it clockwise (so it doesn't un-thread the brush).

A rookie mistake is to use the handle section of your cleaning rod, but the handle spins freely on the shaft. The brush can be forced halfway in, but without rotation, it will jam and cannot be pulled out without putting vise-grips on the shaft to rotate it out.

There are a number of specialized cleaning tools for the AR, check out Midway or Cheaper Than Dirt for some time-saving cleaning tools.

By the way, how do you like your M&P 15FT? I have one myself (with an Eotech also) and couldn't be more pleased with it. Next time at the range I'll have to get my nose off of the charging handle and check out the muzzle blast! The pictures you posted were a surprise. When I'm shooting, I'm the only one who doesn't get to see the fireworks. [smile]

Thanks for the tips. I'll do some browsing on the tool sites.

I love my rifle, but it was giving me problems yesterday. I'm 90% sure it was because of a certain mag that was... taken out of circulation with extreme prejudice.

It was probably also because of how poorly I was cleaning it, I sterilized it today so we'll see if that was the problem. I'm thinking about switching the Eotech for an Acog, but I'm going to try a clone magnifier first and see if that'll get me where I want to be before I drop a grand on an optic.

I love my rifle, but it was giving me problems yesterday. I'm 90% sure it was because of a certain mag that was... taken out of circulation with extreme prejudice.

I saw that, and the aftermath.[rofl] Well done!

I was the guy that started to offer you a new spring and follower until you showed me the mag.[smile]

Heh, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I used a bore brush for a 12ga but it wasn't ideal.

Take the brush in the middle of the picture in the link that GaryZ posted, screw it into a section of cheap Walmart cleaning rod, then put the other end of the cleaning rod in a tap handle, spray the chamber with CLP. insert the brush and twist until your wrist is tired, then spray it out with brake cleaner.

I had really bad leading in my chamber after a mishap with a Colt .22 conversion kit, so I attached a part of a cleaning rod onto a cordless drill, and used it with a chamber brush to get it out.

I did it at high speeds but apparently you're supposed to use low speed, but then again, this was a severe case of leading and not routine. Either way, a few turns with that and your chamber should be clear.

Back
Top Bottom