AR 14.5 pinned or 16 inch barrel

Am I losing anything by using a 14.5 inch barrel with muzzle brake? I figure since I already have to pin and weld any 16 inch Mass Compliant muzzle brake, why not go 14.5, add the brake, and come out 16 inch plus for ATF Compliance? Most everything I see around here has a 16 incher plus a three inch muzzle device. Not a big deal, but why not.

There was a custom shop here on NES that builds uppers. Any one know a shop that builds these in the Woburn MA area?

You won't lose anything by going with 14.5. Northeast Arms on Rt1 in Peabody can build anything you want or just do the pin/weld if that's all you needed.

I went 14.5" for the reason you suggested, and cause BCM ships uppers with brake already welded on. 16" brakes might to be shorter though, the BCM brake for 16" (mod 0) is only like an inch long, the one that goes on the 14.5" (mod 1) is 1.5" long. So you really only saved an inch.

NE Arms in Peabody will do it right in the shop while you wait.

Since you have to pin it anyways I suggest 14.5". If a free state 16" lets you change breaks, but that doesn't apply here unless you have a pre-ban lower. Velocity difference in those 1.5" is negligible and accuracy really depends more on the accuracy of the barrel rather then length.

As others have said, it is a no brainer to just get the 14.5 as a MA resident because you have to perm it either way. If in a free state though, I would opt for 16" just to have the ability to change accessories easier.

You'll get a little less muzzle velocity and notably more bark and flash.
I have a factory bushmaster 14.5" shorty once that got sold off quickly. Personally, I would prefer 16" with no brake over the 14" flavor. Your preference may vary but I'd suggest trying one before commuting money for custom work.

Op is in Mass. so it has to be pinned and have a brake not a flash suppressor anyway. May as well find a brake he likes and pin it on a 14.5" barrel IMO. Always could go with a pinned thread protector on a 16" too. I put together a light weight 14.5" upper and like it a lot. Would not build all of them like that but the one I have is fun.

Last edited:
He might mean a 16" non threaded barrel. I recently picked one up, but haven't had time to finish assembly so I have no opinion on it yet.

He might mean a 16" non threaded barrel. I recently picked one up, but haven't had time to finish assembly so I have no opinion on it yet.

Yeah that too. I'd be curious what you think about the non threaded barrel when you get it up and running.

The 16" non threaded would work and I would avoid the expense and hassle of a pin & weld (thanks for the idea weehooker). Its only going to be a range gun but I've never run an 16 inch AR without a muzzle device. I can't see a recoil problem shooting 55 grain FMJ's. Muzzle flash isn't an issue for me.

Back
Top Bottom