• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appliance service

These days you are lucky you can get someone to show up for anything.

Different trade (IT work) , but right now for people not on one of my perf plans (there are about 5 people) I basically charge $100-200 to show up. USUALLY however, if I just have to go , find out I dont have the shit we need, and stay 20 minutes or less and then come back some other day for a fix, they're usually not going to get hit twice just on the basic, but the ticket is probably going to be north of that basic anyways.

If you are not very near the service place, travel charges could apply.

One of the outfits I subbed for years ago was always $50 hr travel fee, to cover time to get to the business or whatever. Plus they started at $85-$120 hourly rate which was dependent on the type of work being done. the more technical it was the higher the rate was.

Talked to the guy when he came back to replace the part he had on order - he does not calling charging it for two visits - $150 for diagnosis. Stop. $150 to replace and electrical part. Would charge $300 if on one trip. So I guess I should feel better :)

What I am hoping to learn is the convention of how this issue is handled in the appliance repair business, not what someone needs to stay in business.
If you like the guy and the service he provides, I would be. Seen several industries where people complain - "Can't find anyone to do this anymore" - where the reason they can't is they won't pay enough to support said businesses.

The consumer's job is to understand the market and make the best deal, not worry about the financial welfare of suppliers. In turn, I do not expect the suppliers to be concerned about my financial welfare, only if I will pay the bill.

My condo association would have paid $335 for snow clearing from a landscape company for the last storm (50ft of sidewalk and one 30ftx24" waking path) because that was what they told me they "needed to stay in business" because of "inflation" (I deal with the contractors for the building), Yup, inflation caused them to "need" a 24% increase in their price, so I found a vendor at less than half the cost. At no point in the process was "what the landscaper needs to stay in business" part of my consideration. I still have not figured out why they felt they "need" $85 to spread ice melt over that area after snowblowing it.

Sometimes businesses fold because there is no market for them. Local shops carrying high end cameras are very rare (Hunt Photo survives) because they can't compete with the NYC Hassidic camera stores on price, and people are not willing to pay hundreds extra for in-person service.

Last edited:
I've always used Yale Appliance. Which has a $100 dispatch fee. Plus whatever parts & labor they need if out of warranty. $50 store credit if they can't fix the problem or you choose not to after diagnosis. They warranty replacement parts for 5 years and the labor for 30 days.

The consumer's job is to understand the market and make the best deal, not worry about the financial welfare of suppliers. In turn, I do not expect the suppliers to be concerned about my financial welfare, only if I will pay the bill.

My condo association would have paid $335 for snow clearing from a landscape company for the last storm (50ft of sidewalk and one 30ftx24" waking path) because that was what they told me they "needed to stay in business" because of "inflation" (I deal with the contractors for the building), Yup, inflation caused them to "need" a 24% increase in their price, so I found a vendor at less than half the cost. At no point in the process was "what the landscaper needs to stay in business" was part of my consideration. I still have not figured out why they felt they "need" $85 to spread ice melt over that area after snowblowing it.

Translation from vendor-speak: "I have a bunch of reliable, but trash accounts id rather jettison, for $335, ill let you can push the worst one off my plate". Most people that are good at what they do are time gated. You got lucky and found a cheaper vendor that was less busy.

My condo association would have paid $335 for snow clearing from a landscape company for the last storm (50ft of sidewalk and one 30ftx24" waking path) because that was what they told me they "needed to stay in business" because of "inflation" (I deal with the contractors for the building), Yup, inflation caused them to "need" a 24% increase in their price, so I found a vendor at less than half the cost. At no point in the process was "what the landscaper needs to stay in business" part of my consideration. I still have not figured out why they felt they "need" $85 to spread ice melt over that area after snowblowing it.
You’ll call the first vendor back when the second one doesn’t show!!

Please realize that it takes more than 15 minutes out of our day to come be at your house for 15 minutes!! It takes away from other ongoing jobs where it’s just show up, work, bill your time.

We would look on a case by case basis. One time guy we don’t know gets charged full boat. Repeat customer, we try to give them a good deal.

As I mentioned, I misunderstood. It was how this vendor's hourly billing works. Once the initial trip diagnoses is done, the meter is at $150. Then a fixed rate to replace a part with the meter starts at zero again, but no additional trip charge. Still pricey, but excellent work and I don't have to deal with no-shows. I just consider it a competence/reliability surcharge.

Last edited:
It helps to buy ALL your appliances from the same dealer and establish a relationship. I've been with Hunter in Littleton for 15-20 years. Same or next day service is the norm. Jack.
Wurd.

Automatic Appliance in Framingham is my go-to. Hell, he knows that I'm unafraid to try, and has given me phone tech support, and parts on spec to swap out, for plug-'n'-chug diagnosis.

I trust him enough to believe him when he says, "Just get a new one, it's not worth it." Come to think of it, it's been 20 years since he had a service call, here. [rofl]

Also many customers are too lazy to look around for make and model info, which helps to bring the correct part on first visit. So those people can pay!
HA! My guy (Automatic Appliance has an actual, pen-and-paper notebook with each customer, and the make, model, and SN of what they have. That's service ( and less of a PITA for them)

I'm starting to think I don't charge enough. I specialize in repairing gas hearth equipment. So zero clearance fireplaces, inserts, logset, stoves, etc. They are a pita. No one else wants to do them even the shops that sell them. The recent prices I've heard from competitors are $220, $250, and $300 for a service call. To me that is crazy. I have invested in my company this year actually created an LLC, purchased a promaster and stocked it better than any one else.. but to answer your question personally no I don't charge the initial service fee twice, typically it's like 50-70 bucks more. But there could be other factors that affect this. I'm also trying to sell customers on the idea of reoccurring premtive service where I come out every 2-3 years before the heating season begins so that's a factor in how I price also.

I own AM Appliance out the Wesrboro area, I charge 120.00 for the service fee, doesn't matter if I am there for 5 min or 5 hours ( I would never be at a house for 5 hours that's just an example I use lol ), once I figure out the problem I just give you a flat rate for part, labor and service fee all wrapped up in one price.
I normally carry most the common parts and I always try to get a Mod number prior so I can look up what I need and bring what It could be based on your issues.

Common jobs like a gas Igniter, outside a Viking or Wolf stove flat rated for 260.00, that's part labor and service fee, LG/Samsung drain pump install, 280.00.........
Now parts are always jumping around in prices and I have raised a few of my normal jobs over the last few months, but for the most part we try to stay consistent and try to keep a good inventory of parts so I am not going back and forth.

I own AM Appliance out the Wesrboro area, I charge 120.00 for the service fee, doesn't matter if I am there for 5 min or 5 hours ( I would never be at a house for 5 hours that's just an example I use lol ), once I figure out the problem I just give you a flat rate for part, labor and service fee all wrapped up in one price.
I normally carry most the common parts and I always try to get a Mod number prior so I can look up what I need and bring what It could be based on your issues.

Common jobs like a gas Igniter, outside a Viking or Wolf stove flat rated for 260.00, that's part labor and service fee, LG/Samsung drain pump install, 280.00.........
Now parts are always jumping around in prices and I have raised a few of my normal jobs over the last few months, but for the most part we try to stay consistent and try to keep a good inventory of parts so I am not going back and forth.
So the "service fee" is to get you out there and diagnose the problem? I know plenty of places use this model. I charge for a service call that has been recently $180 that includes diagnosis and first hour and a half of labor (almost all jobs take me less than an hour) but Is probably being reduced to first hour. It's funny some, most, customers seem thrilled with my pricing. I'm frustrated by customers that call me but have 10 - 15 minutes worth of crap to move out of the way, lights to turn on etc

Looking for some info about appliance service rates.

I have used a guy who is fantastic - goes straight to the problem, knows exactly what to do, doesn't f things up, etc. All around good guy, from both a personal and competence point of view. Took over from his father who I used for years. And, just so none of you report me to have my man card revoked, I average about 50% on appliance issues - half I can fix, half I need an expert. Of the half I get an expert for, I learn enough having the work explained to me to never call a pro for that particular repair again.

I was wondering how his rates compare. His basic "show up" rate is $150 that includes some labor time (He's never taken up enough time to goose showup/labor above that $150). What I am wondering - is it normal to charge $150 per trip show-up when you have to show up twice because you don't have the part? I know it's not realistic to have parts for every make of every appliance, so "order part and come back" seems reasonable. I am just wondering if a min $300 labor on any job where the repair person does not have the part on the van is typical and reasonable in this market.

I just paid $180 for a guy to make two trips to Henniker house (once diagnostic and one with part) to repair a dryer. He replaced idler that was fubar.

Great guy, fast and accurate service. The dryer is back to smooth running.

I just paid $180 for a guy to make two trips to Henniker house (once diagnostic and one with part) to repair a dryer. He replaced idler that was fubar.

Great guy, fast and accurate service. The dryer is back to smooth running.
Even as a second job I don't know how $180 could cover two trips and parts. I'm not knocking anyone else but I purchase enough insurance to cover (most) homes if God forbid my work burns your house down. Sounds like you've got the right repairman.

So the "service fee" is to get you out there and diagnose the problem? I know plenty of places use this model. I charge for a service call that has been recently $180 that includes diagnosis and first hour and a half of labor (almost all jobs take me less than an hour) but Is probably being reduced to first hour. It's funny some, most, customers seem thrilled with my pricing. I'm frustrated by customers that call me but have 10 - 15 minutes worth of crap to move out of the way, lights to turn on etc
Yes, that gets me to the appliance, diagnosis the problem and normally I can nail it down in 15 min or less. Of course I get the ones that stump me and I take longer but 90% of the time i'm well on my way to giving a flat rate in that 15 min period.

I used to charge by the hour, but this is easier for me to just flat rate the cost, and if I condemn the unit I explain over the phone prior to going out there is a chance based on what you are telling me that I will condemn this unit as it sounds like its not worth it, if they still want me I explain that the service fee is still needed if I am coming out.

I find it takes more time to explain all this out in plain language over the phone and most understand, but it saves me the chance that customer will get pissy when I say "yep its not worth fixing" cause I politely explain that we discussed this prior to the apt being made.

You’ll call the first vendor back when the second one doesn’t show!!

Please realize that it takes more than 15 minutes out of our day to come be at your house for 15 minutes!! It takes away from other ongoing jobs where it’s just show up, work, bill your time.

We would look on a case by case basis. One time guy we don’t know gets charged full boat. Repeat customer, we try to give them a good deal.
Plus, it's really best to establish a relationship with people that provide services you might need before you have an emergency. Then, when an emergency strikes, you're a person they know, not just a phone number.

Even as a second job I don't know how $180 could cover two trips and parts. I'm not knocking anyone else but I purchase enough insurance to cover (most) homes if God forbid my work burns your house down. Sounds like you've got the right repairman.
Easy, there are many people who will work for an honest day's pay without the greed and flat rate scams.
After that $180. He can still make another $540. The rest of the day

Easy, there are many people who will work for an honest day's pay without the greed and flat rate scams.
After that $180. He can still make another $540. The rest of the day
I'm not sure what you mean by honest days pay. Your previous post indicate you are familiar with heating systems but clearly not with running a business.$720 a day after expenses equals bankruptcy.

I think so. My neighbor recommended him. He fit me in around other jobs in the area. Diagnosis took all of 5 minutes (wailing dryers are hard to miss). Part is cheap and replacement was about 30 minutes a few days later.

I think he did good work for a fair price. If another appliance croaks, I’d have him back in a heartbeat. And he’s a nice guy. Turns out he’s a shooter and reloader. When the weather warms up, we’re gonna go shooting.

I'm starting to think I don't charge enough. I specialize in repairing gas hearth equipment. So zero clearance fireplaces, inserts, logset, stoves, etc. They are a pita. No one else wants to do them even the shops that sell them. The recent prices I've heard from competitors are $220, $250, and $300 for a service call. To me that is crazy.

You probably don't charge enough.

It's not crazy if theres a limited supply of labor to do it. In this state there seems to be a PANT SHITTING phenomenon around gas appliances, I get it, theres probably a lot of
liability but its almost to the point of hysterics. Like for example I had a guy quote me out like $800 to run a pipe, for a gas stove. The pipe didnt even have to go that
far. [laugh] CUZ GAS. I didnt care about that though, I would have paid it if I got the stove because the guy was good but I never ended up buying the stove.

A friend also had to beg his plumber to install some blue flamer type aux heaters in his house, apparently that shit is all illegal or frowned upon now (where it was just fine some 20? years ago). "It was like asking permission to bang his sister or something" LMAO

Actually a fun story for you to know you don't charge enough- You're doing work for another professional and they actually are like "are you sure thats right?" when you
invoice them.

I have invested in my company this year actually created an LLC, purchased a promaster and stocked it better than any one else.. but to answer your question personally no I don't charge the initial service fee twice, typically it's like 50-70 bucks more. But there could be other factors that affect this. I'm also trying to sell customers on the idea of reoccurring premtive service where I come out every 2-3 years before the heating season begins so that's a factor in how I price also.

Even though its a different business I sort of do this. I charge a few hundred bucks a year for people on my perf plan. If they pay the $300 or whatever it is (it varies depending on customer and location and bundled service) but I reduce their callout fee to like $50-$75 instead of $150. In the long run it works in my favor because all the customers on the perf plan are the ones that generate the most revenue every year anyways. It also kind of gives me a line in the sand if I ever just get completely pissed I can just go "I am dumping everyone else and keeping these people". etc.

Since it kind of fits here - my washing machine stopped agitating with the disk in the bottom, just spins now - isn't connected to the motor anymore. Its a top load, HE machine from Whirlpool 2015. I have no illusions that I didn't beat the ever-living snot out of it during it's life (two teens, football, and three outfit changes per day). Did some looking on some parts - over $300 for the gear box as I know the problem is there - but not what subpart to order. Some others like the disk doesn't appear available at all. Found a new Maytag 5.3cuft in stock (thank God) at Lowes in Amherst, NH. $1100 reg - on sale $880. Awesome, runs great - even texts me when the wash is done.

Then I thought about my dryer that is older than that and has had a banging/rattle going on lately. I was thinking the belt, so I pulled the top and it looks good but heard the rattle from inside the drum. Turns out a penny had gotten inside of one of the tumblers. Muffled when full of clothes - easy to figure out when the top was off.

With the weather being what it is - the washer is in my garage until I can haul it to recycle - if you want to have a crack at it for repair or parts it free of charge.
Whirlpool Type: 589-03 Model:WTW8040DW0 Ser:C52440205

This is why I hang onto my old appliances as long as possible, they are simple to work on. Most anything can be diagnosed/fixed with a multi tester and a Google search. Just replaced the heater element and thermostats in my 30 year old Kenmore clothes dryer for 50 bucks and it works as good as new.

The newer stuff with computer controls are a bitch to work on and often prohibitively expensive to fix although they are more energy efficient. I think a lot of newer appliances are going the way of flat screen TV’s, disposable items when it craps out just buy a new one.

Back
Top Bottom