• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appliance service

This is why I hang onto my old appliances as long as possible, they are simple to work on. Most anything can be diagnosed/fixed with a multi tester and a Google search. Just replaced the heater element and thermostats in my 30 year old Kenmore clothes dryer for 50 bucks and it works as good as new.

The newer stuff with computer controls are a bitch to work on and often prohibitively expensive to fix although they are more energy efficient. I think a lot of newer appliances are going the way of flat screen TV’s, disposable items when it craps out just buy a new one.
Yup,
I have been buying the extended service plans with appliances for the past 10 years
More than paid for it self .
When we replaced the used washer and dryer we got when we moved in back in 2001 both where really showing their age in 2010/12 finally replaced the pair. First set both failed with in 2 years. We got free replacements because “no parts”
Those had their own problems. 3 years in both machines had parts on back order. Wife called and complained we got purchase price credit on those machines now only 4 years old the washer machine “gear box” blew.
Guy came to fix it today. In and out had parts on truck must be a common issue
Dryer had sensor issues last year.
So far iirc we are into the “extended warranty” for $350 over 8-10 years and have not paid for any repairs?

My moms washer and dryer , which I had to go use yesterday is 30 years old and my dad picked those up road side.
Crazy right, like cars maybe it depends what day of the week they are made?

It helps to buy ALL your appliances from the same dealer and establish a relationship. I've been with Hunter in Littleton for 15-20 years. Same or next day service is the norm. Jack.
Hunter is sadly weeks out on service. Stock supply is questionable like everywhere else.
In 30 years of working with them I had to leave for the very first time with no product.

Yup,
I have been buying the extended service plans with appliances for the past 10 years
I've always been wary about the wait time when a service company gets to choose the repair service. If the guy I call is busy, I can try another. What has been your experience?

I've always been wary about the wait time when a service company gets to choose the repair service. If the guy I call is busy, I can try another. What has been your experience?
Never more than 3 days , wife called friday they came monday.
We have had to wait for parts though.

I think its funny that $180 to show up and look at it is “ok”
But god forbid we charge $25 for 15min of work with a $10k scan tool.
Or get hammered for free services like tire rotations , fluid top offs ectect.
Anyway it cost to be in business so what ever it takes, it is what it is.

Last quote I got was for a broken oven. Was told that it was the control board and the company quote $900 with parts and labor. Bought the part online for $250 ish and installed it myself. Took 30 mins. Cost me $90 for the house call/diagnosis. Intended to pay to have it done, but I won't pay rape charges.

Labor is a killer in the US.

I need the valves on my tankless gas Rinnai water heater replaced. Normally, I would do it myself but I can't chance the house being without water while I re-do it because I end up with a little leak, so I'm getting a professional with a pretty decent reputation in town. He's "flat rate" which is vocabulary for $250 an hour". $495 for a $92 part and probably a 60 - 90 minute install. But, I expect I will get quality work without any of the risk of taking 4 times as long to do it myself.

This kind of pricing is why I have learned to do as much stuff myself as possible. That and fear of having my man card revoked if I call someone everything something breaks or leaks.

Looking for some info about appliance service rates.

I have used a guy who is fantastic - goes straight to the problem, knows exactly what to do, doesn't f things up, etc. All around good guy, from both a personal and competence point of view. Took over from his father who I used for years. And, just so none of you report me to have my man card revoked, I average about 50% on appliance issues - half I can fix, half I need an expert. Of the half I get an expert for, I learn enough having the work explained to me to never call a pro for that particular repair again.

I was wondering how his rates compare. His basic "show up" rate is $150 that includes some labor time (He's never taken up enough time to goose showup/labor above that $150). What I am wondering - is it normal to charge $150 per trip show-up when you have to show up twice because you don't have the part? I know it's not realistic to have parts for every make of every appliance, so "order part and come back" seems reasonable. I am just wondering if a min $300 labor on any job where the repair person does not have the part on the van is typical and reasonable in this market.
Appliance repair on Cape Cod. Our initial service call is $130. That covers initial call and a small amount of diagnostic time.
If we have to order parts, our return visit is parts, labor, tax and shipping.

The newer stuff with computer controls are a bitch to work on and often prohibitively expensive to fix although they are more energy efficient. I think a lot of newer appliances are going the way of flat screen TV’s, disposable items when it craps out just buy a new one.
I've been thinking that I need to get stuff like this
for any new appliances we get that are hyper-digitized:

Amazon product ASIN B07JMLSZFWView: https://www.amazon.com/Refrigmatic-WS-36300-Electronic-Protector-Refrigerator/dp/B07JMLSZFW/

Because I'm never gonna be in the mood to play "replace the $900 motherboard" games
for appliances with Easy-Blow electronics.

It'll probably help if I buy some brand that contains actual surge protection.

I think its funny that $180 to show up and look at it is “ok”
But god forbid we charge $25 for 15min of work with a $10k scan tool.
"$10K scan tool" is to "Harbor Freight CodeCatcher"
like "Medallion taxi" is to "Uber".

A CodeCatcher wielded by an AutoZone counter clerk is free.
(Some clerks will even clear the codes for you without asking).

There will be a period when the ChiComs program
CodeCatchers with the proprietary codes that justify spending $10K on a professional scan tool.
Because over a billion people think intellectual property laws are for suckers.

I need the valves on my tankless gas Rinnai water heater replaced. Normally, I would do it myself but I can't chance the house being without water while I re-do it because I end up with a little leak, so I'm getting a professional with a pretty decent reputation in town. He's "flat rate" which is vocabulary for $250 an hour". $495 for a $92 part and probably a 60 - 90 minute install. But, I expect I will get quality work without any of the risk of taking 4 times as long to do it myself.

This kind of pricing is why I have learned to do as much stuff myself as possible. That and fear of having my man card revoked if I call someone everything something breaks or leaks.
Local guy did my HW tank
Came looked at it made a list if what I needed. Off he went. Returned in 1hr with new tank , replaced the plumbing to the tank, positioned tank in better spot and even had electrician with him to re route the wiring. Thats was 8 years ago paid $400
Total . I think it took him longer to get supplied. Really well done, neat and other than a new tank and shinny pipes never would known he was there. Thats what I dont mind paying for

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re looking for but, YouTube has worked wonders for me in the past decade. I don’t think that there’s been a single time where I couldn’t find a YouTube video troubleshooting and fixing the exact issue I was having. I always start there first. I’ve fixed my microwave, fridge, and washing machine all from YouTube videos in the past.

Did you thank him? Just wondering . . .

Back
Top Bottom