Anyone use caliber seperating trays?

They look useful, but wouldn't solve some of the sorting problems I've seen. For example, I don't think they can separate 9mm from chaff like .38 super, .380. 9x.21, etc. Those tend to cause me the most problems.

I have a set that I bought at the begining of October ($39.95).

I used them and they are a PITA, a waste of money. I can sort quicker by hand.

There isn't enough distance between the bottoms of the trays, so you are forever taking them apart and dumping - the brass starts to block the slots above.

The post about not separating 9mm, 38 Stupid etc is stated on the web site.

My opinion of them is 2 thumbs down.[flame]

I have the same set and find it quite handy. The tricks are:

1. Don't overload the trays - the brass needs room to move;

2. Don't stack the trays - the brass can't drop down. I hold the larger above the smaller and sift.

Note that a 9 stuck in a 40, 40 in a .45, etc., results in both being caught in the larger tray.

Sorting brass is an annoyance but I find I'm getting quicker with it at every go.

Its usually one of the first things I do when I get home from the range and stow all the gear from my range bag. Doing it with every range trip means that I'm generally sorting no more than a couple hundred cases even with pickups.

Pick out the rifle stuff first and all I keep is the 223. Then its just a matter of grabbing the 45, 9, and 40 in that order while separating the trash. Grab the big stuff grab the little stuff then the 40 and its done.

I bought a set.

What a total waste of money.

The trays aren't deep enough from the one above and it takes too long for me to separate. I can do it faster by hand.

I bought 3 sets for me and 2 other shooters. So far I've seperated about 2 - 55 gal drums of brass, what a great time saver! I dump 1 large coffee can full in the top tray, with the others underneath resting in the top of a plastic 5 gal pail. I try to pull out all the rifle and larger cal brass from the top tray then sift. The calibers smaller than .45 fall thru except of course the cases that nest in the .45's which must be pulled by hand. The next tray (.40 cal & 10mm) goes faster, sifting drops the smaller cals thru and the .38's get caught by the rim and are left hanging thru for easy seperation. The last tray (9mm) I sift over the 5 gal scrap bucket since the .32, .25 and .22 are going for scrap. Thru each tray you have to pull out the blazers (aluminum) and throw those in an aluminum scrap bucket.

I figure thay cut my sort time by at least 1/2.

I sift over the 5 gal scrap bucket since the .32, .25 and .22 are going for scrap.

You scrap the .32's ?????
I reload those, and they're the hardest suckers to find afterwards.
I've NEVER yet managed to go home with all the .32's I go to the range with.
On my best day I only found 47 out of 50.
Sort of like putting a load of socks in the dryer, some always mysteriously vanish. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom