• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone See Sierra 175 TMK's in Stock?

Mountain

NES Member
Not even Ammoseek.com can find 175 Sierra Tipped MatchKings in stock. @#!!@#$%!@! that's what I gravitated to for CMP vintage sniper matches and now they are nowhere to be found. I have been looking off and on with no luck. My team member and I scored silver last fall at Camp Ethan Allen so I really don't want to screw around with developing a new load- it's not easy to get the vintage stuff all squared away.

Any leads on these would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a spare box to sell or trade please let me know.

img_3179-jpg.526511

Does it have to be the tipped version?
Thanks to a friend on the forum I found a couple boxes of the TMK's at a small shop that was willing to ship. Should have posted that I'm all set, but yes- I needed the tipped version.

Wind can be tricky at Camp Ethan Allen's range no. 4, and the higher B.C. of the TMK's helps a little at the 600 yard stage. With some of the crosswinds we get, the difference between the TMK's and SMK's can be as much as 6" wind drift. The target used for that distance has a 10-ring that is only 6" from center. About the best to be expected from these WW2 era sniper rifles is 1 MOA, so you're already hitting as much as 3" from center with perfect shots. This is a case where splitting hairs matters. Last year I only dropped 2 points at 600 yards and got a silver medal.

Wow a 6" drift difference?!? That's wild.
I should have better qualified that extra 6" drift as coming during a 20 mph crosswind. That's not uncommon there and you can usually expect variable crosswind from 7 to 10ph.

Are you still looking? I may, I stress may have a 500 pc box of these at home I bough a couple years ago, (the ones with the green tip, right?). At the distances I shoot the regular SMK's are fine, if I still have them I'll let em' go for what I paid for them. I just gotta go thru a pile of stuff to see if I still have them.

Are you still looking? I may, I stress may have a 500 pc box of these at home I bough a couple years ago, (the ones with the green tip, right?). At the distances I shoot the regular SMK's are fine, if I still have them I'll let em' go for what I paid for them. I just gotta go thru a pile of stuff to see if I still have them.
I'm all set at least for next 2-3 years. [smile] Much appreciated that you replied.

I found a couple hundred TMK's (yes the green plastic tips) but also tried Nosler RDF's which ended up shooting tighter groups for me. These are for 300 and 600 yard distances in vintage sniper matches. The old hardware is a little more sensitive to bullet variations and lately I'm seeing less variation from Nosler and getting groups that are almost 1/4 MOA better at distance.

I'm all set at least for next 2-3 years. [smile] Much appreciated that you replied.

I found a couple hundred TMK's (yes the green plastic tips) but also tried Nosler RDF's which ended up shooting tighter groups for me. These are for 300 and 600 yard distances in vintage sniper matches. The old hardware is a little more sensitive to bullet variations and lately I'm seeing less variation from Nosler and getting groups that are almost 1/4 MOA better at distance.
During the crazies a while back I got a batch of Berger 185gr VLD, one of these days I'll actually load them LOL. I've always loaded Sierra's of Hornandy bullets, but my max instance is only 300.

I bought the TMK's around the same time, I don't think I've even opened the box.

Back
Top Bottom