• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know where to get Unicorn Droppings (primers) for non ass rape pricing?

Unless you exclude your time/labor.....cost will always be higher than factory ammo......
This is a bad argument. Time should not be factored unless you are skipping on an hourly job to reload.

Most of us, if we weren't reloading, we would probably be sitting on the couch watching TV, or playing a video game, or having a coffee outside ... we would not be working, making money.

EDIT:

But, for the sake of it, lets count hourly wages when reloading.

I reloaded 200 45/70 rounds yesterday and will reload 200 .460 rounds tomorrow when powder arrives.

The cheapest, piece of sh*t 45/70 ammo right now is around $50/20 (at least what I saw doing a very quick search). Before the pandemic it was around $32/20 at Walmart.

So, using $50 = $500 for the factory ammo.
Using $32 = $320.

Those 200 rounds use one pound of powder. Lets round up the cost to $50/lbs.

They use 200 primers. I am using primers I bought right before Trump was elected at $32/brick, but lets call it $0.10/primer to get closer to today's price but not the stupid TSUSA $0.12.

The bullets ... if I cast 405gr bullets it will cost me around $30 in lead (also rounding up a bit).
If I buy the bullets, Missouri Buller Company I think charges $60/250 or $48 for 200.

I will use the most expensive prices. Powder that I round up $7, primers that I round up to $0.10 and we will call the bullets $50.

Brass doesn't count because I paid around $1 per piece but I have reloaded them over 10x and still going strong.

$50+$50+20 = $120 for 200 match grade 45/70.

The true cost without rounding up:
$6.4 (200 primers) + 43 powder + 48 = $97.4

If I cast, the cost is under $90.

Try finding that deal anywhere.

Last edited:
Unless you exclude your time/labor.....cost will always be higher than factory ammo......

BUT......if you're CDO like me, the ammo is always more consistent than factory......I tore down a box of "match" ammo from a respectable manufacturer and weighed out charges.......and they were all over the place.....spread of .5 grain across the lot of 20.

There's something to be said for loading precision ammo for YOUR gun......

It's quality time for me - I do exclude my time/labor.
Same way I don't figure my time/labor when working on my bike.

BUT......if you're CDO like me, the ammo is always more consistent than factory......I tore down a box of "match" ammo from a respectable manufacturer and weighed out charges.......and they were all over the place.....spread of .5 grain across the lot of 20.

There's something to be said for loading precision ammo for YOUR gun......
Not worried about my time. My reloading time is usually my relaxing time. Grab a cigar, something to drink, and start pulling the handle.

Not worried about my time. My reloading time is usually my relaxing time. Grab a cigar, something to drink, and start pulling the handle.
I pull my handle for free almost every day...why would I charge for reloading?

+1rep for smoking while reloading. Classic ‘old school’ move.

1640201614749.jpeg

This is a bad argument. Time should not be factored unless you are skipping on an hourly job to reload.

Most of us, if we weren't reloading, we would probably be sitting on the couch watching TV, or playing a video game, or having a coffee outside ... we would not be working, making money.
How much is therapy/hr?

You're making money really

How much is therapy/hr?

You're making money really
That is another good point. When I reload, I do it because it gives me something to do, takes my mind off stupid sh*t. To me, reloading is like working out at the gym.

It is not something I am forced to do, it is not something I hate, it is not something I have to choose between work or reloading.

I suspect many feel the same way.

Therapy costs vary. We talking court ordered or doctor recommended? Marriage therapy is usually the cheapest.
Pretty sure solitary confinement in prison would likely be the "cheapest" option for the offender. I can't be asked to reload 9mm. It's all about reducing the cost of stupidly priced things like 45-70, 460S&W or making things I cannot get like .401 Winchester self-loader.

You can' t include your time into reloading costs, same as you can't included mowing the lawn or your wife cooking dinner in house costs it' a part of owning a firearm and having a way to shoot more just like doing yard tasks is part of owning a home and wanting it too look nice. Necessary evils

You can' t include your time into reloading costs, same as you can't included mowing the lawn or your wife cooking dinner in house costs it' a part of owning a firearm and having a way to shoot more just like doing yard tasks is part of owning a home and wanting it too look nice. Necessary evils
One additional thought. Including one's time value in the cost of reloading places that effort in the category of "labor". I consider that factor for efforts that I don't want to do, or I consider a chore. For instance, if I didn't like mowing my lawn, I could reasonably price out my time + equipment + gas, and compare that to paying someone else to do the work. Reloading isn't a "chore" for me, it's part of my recreation. So, perhaps, the calculus is more like how much is my time worth to SHOOT ammo (regardless of source)? Should I calculate the value of my time doing that vs. hiring someone else to shoot it for me? Obviously not. The point being that I agree with jpk's point as long as he sees the reloading process as a chore. Again, I don't. So just like not needing to pay someone else to shoot for me, I neither need nor want to pay someone else to load for me.

not to mention Mr. “that’s the way it is” is forcing all his employees to get the jab.
I didn’t know that. That’s f***ing bullshit. Even my woke ass fortune 100 insurance company didn’t make me get the jab. Zero f***ing excuses from Larry...what a piece of shit.

1) We would need a receiver because I don't want to have the same experience someone down under had. He tried to personally solve that continent's ammo shortage but cut corners with that pesky customs thing and it did not work out well for him. Legal problems selling ammo without a license and storing pallets of primers in my garage. Won't go there.

That person was doing the Lord's work and everyone on that continent should have bought him a beer.

One additional thought. Including one's time value in the cost of reloading places that effort in the category of "labor". I consider that factor for efforts that I don't want to do, or I consider a chore. For instance, if I didn't like mowing my lawn, I could reasonably price out my time + equipment + gas, and compare that to paying someone else to do the work. Reloading isn't a "chore" for me, it's part of my recreation. So, perhaps, the calculus is more like how much is my time worth to SHOOT ammo (regardless of source)? Should I calculate the value of my time doing that vs. hiring someone else to shoot it for me? Obviously not. The point being that I agree with jpk's point as long as he sees the reloading process as a chore. Again, I don't. So just like not needing to pay someone else to shoot for me, I neither need nor want to pay someone else to load for me.
That's the way I see it. It's not about GAAP, and it's not about how much money you could make flipping burgers instead. It's about somehow incorporating into the analysis that you'd rather be, and would otherwise be, doing something else.

Having said all that, I think keeping track of reloading costs is only useful to people who don't want to reload, or don't want to reload a certain cartridge. I'd pass on reloading 9mm if the price per round for good quality brass-cased was closer to $0.25 per round. We're not there yet, so I'm stuck reloading 9mm. But I like reloading my revolver calibers. I don't even want factory-loaded .45C, for example, so what does it matter to me how the cost per round of my reloads compare to the factory-loaded stuff? It's not even really available, but even if it were cheap, I'd be reloading it instead of buying it.

Are we deliberately not posting local shops? Or are the online vendors just getting mentioned more frequently because they're easier to monitor?

I saw some CCI large rifle primers at The Powderhorn in Hyannis recently.
Nice- way too far for me but good to know for those within reasonable distance. Regarding your prior question- Cape Gun Works posted here, which was appreciated. Those of us who stopped by Cabelas Berlin/Hudson posted availability, but they have been out for a long time.

TSUSA has release more unicorn droppings!! And yes, at ass rape prices. Federal SPP SPP match and Rem LRP

Edit: SPP gone. SPPM and LRP still there.

Back
Top Bottom