• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know where to get Unicorn Droppings (primers) for non ass rape pricing?

Old Glory has 6K Winchester Small Pistol on the shelf as of yesterday at 3pm. Price is $89/K. Subscribe to their Twitter and they post when they have primers in stock.

Pete's in Hudson has/had 6 or 8 CCI small pistol and at least 1 CCI 400 small rifle--price is $89/K limit 1. Said he was expecting a shipment of powder in today.

I realize that OP secified "non ass rape pricing" but in this market it is what it is. $89 price is no HAZMAT, no shipping, and no tax.
Just followed them on Twitter ....... I don't see and recent posts on their page though.

The prices are TOO HIGH , and they know people will pay.

I think this goes all the way back to the manufacturer. CCI's online store (not that you can get any there) is listing pistol primers at $.07 and $.08 per. It looks to me like $.08 per is essentially the manufacturer's MSRP, and that's what Larry has on the web site for CCI pistol primers. I get that everybody here adds in shipping, tax, and HAZMAT, which is appropriate if you're still trying to keep track of your reloading costs, but munging all that together obfuscates the vendor's perspective.

One, the trend of large online vendors collecting sales tax for out-of-state purchases is just going to swallow all of the big ones eventually, if it hasn't already. It's not their fault. Technically, whether they collect sales tax or not, you still owe the use tax, so complaining about it is pretty much just complaining that you're being denied the opportunity to lie on your taxes. Hell, I remember even in Texas we owed a use tax on untaxed out-of-state purchases. It's not like anybody generally paid it unless what was purchased had to be registered (like a car).

Two, costs have gone up in S/H areas as well. The labor market is strained across the board, especially in the lower paying jobs. I remember on one of my orders several months ago, the shipment sat in limbo because of shipping constraints with HAZMAT.

Three, the total consumer cost is high when buying from large online vendors because we aren't allowed anymore to dilute HAZMAT shipping costs by ordering as many bricks as we want. Mom&pop can minimize their shipping costs, which is why they can still sell them for $85 a brick out the door. What's the solution to that for large online vendors that doesn't end up with $.25 per primer from scalpers on Gunbroker? Remember that's what we had in the very beginning. It only stopped when the big online vendors started throttling the order sizes, which feeds back into item #2, straining their S/H resources.

Only if you didn't stock up at $35…or $45….or $55…well you get the idea..[rofl]
Stocking up is a relative term. It’s quite possible for someone to have stocked up beyond your wildest dreams back when prices were $35, and then spent all of covid shooting ten times more than ever before, oh yeah, and triple that because two kids we didn’t expect to have back home ended being with us the whole time. Ammo was nothing, I “thought” I had enough food supplies to last the Mrs and I a year. That turned out to be less than three months with a 20 and 23 year old helping out.

I can’t imagine anyone stocked up on primers in enough qty to avoid sticker shock whenever they do buy them again. Prices have been up for almost 2 years and will be up for 2 more years.

**disclaimer** This would exclude Fudds who burn through (100) 209s a year and are “stocked up”

I can’t imagine anyone stocked up on primers in enough qty to avoid sticker shock whenever they do buy them again. Prices have been up for almost 2 years and will be up for 2 more years.

**disclaimer** This would exclude Fudds who burn through (100) 209s a year and are “stocked up”

I haven't bought primers since Feb 2020. I think I reloaded 12k rounds last year. I'm good for two more years.

Only if you didn't stock up at $35…or $45….or $55…well you get the idea..[rofl]

Problem is - I DID stock up. But not deep enough.

I had 20K primers on hand, which seemed sufficient. when I got down to 10K, I'd order some more. I really didn't want to have 30 or 40 K on hand. 20 seemed like a good number to me.

Hindsight - 20/20 and usually sober.

I have 40K on hand now, and will buy more...

85% of my SPP were bought for $25 per 1k. I paid the most ever back in January for 5k SPP ($76 per 1k)
Definitely sticker shock.
October 2021 I paid $65 per 1k at cabelas.
And October 2020 I paid $40 per 1k for 5k.
I won’t say how many I have on hand but I’m good for a solid 4+ years

I’ll be inadvertently stocked up for another two years (or ten), but I don’t think this will all be ‘over’ by then.

I bought about 25,000 before I left MA in fall of 2019 when CCI was offering $100 back on purchase up to $500 I think? I can’t remember the exact deal, but it was good. I remember thinking that 2020 was an election year and I wasn’t going through another Obama crisis like when I first got into reloading. I bought another 5000 before I got to Indiana (Federal large rifle magnum primers) because they were $20 and change per thousand from some online retailer I was already buying some powder from.

Then in March of 2020 I bought another 25,000 when I saw COVID coming down the pike and knew they’d be good to trade if nothing else. Now I’m too scared to get rid of them at ANY price because I doubt I’d be able to replace them.

2020 destroyed my momentum in competing in rifle matches and I did a few USPSA matches instead but just totally lost my desire to shoot. I got so depressed about that I didn’t shoot a single match in 2021. I had every motivation to start shooting matches again this year (even got down to Talladega in January to practice) and then my fiancee broke up with me and I had to find another place to live. Now that I have an offer in on a house, I have to pack up my primers AGAIN and move them (hopefully to Kentucky) where I’ll be spending my next year unpacking and setting up my reloading benches...AGAIN!!!

Someday I’ll get around to shooting again, then I’m going to make those primers my BITCH!

Either that, or I’m going to have to start throwing them birthday parties.

85% of my SPP were bought for $25 per 1k. I paid the most ever back in January for 5k SPP ($76 per 1k)
Definitely sticker shock.
October 2021 I paid $65 per 1k at cabelas.
And October 2020 I paid $40 per 1k for 5k.
I won’t say how many I have on hand but I’m good for a solid 4+ years

Yeah, I thought was good for 4+ years.
Then I started shooting (2) divisions at Steel Challenge, (each match).
And I invited my son to come shoot with me.

Yeah, I thought was good for 4+ years.
Then I started shooting (2) divisions at Steel Challenge, (each match).
And I invited my son to come shoot with me.
Nice. Yeah I only have to feed guns that I shoot. My wife only comes with me to the range a couple times per year to shoot her 3 guns. SR22, Sig p239 and sig p365

I forgot the shotgum primers--Cabelas in Hudson had 5 or 6 sleeves of 100 magnum shotgun primers on the shelf as of 4pm yesterday afternoon.

Relevant episode of the podcast "The Reload"

"On this episode, Director of Research at the American Economic Liberties Project Matt Stoller joins the show to talk about the ongoing ammo shortage and the resulting price hikes we've all been experiencing lately.

Stoller recently wrote a widely-circulated piece on his Substack arguing the market dominance of Vista Outdoors and Olin Corporation contribute to the supply problems and price hikes. Those companies own many of the most popular ammo brands including Federal, American Eagle, CCI, Winchester, and Remington. Stoller says the companies use consolidation, such as Vista's recent purchase of Remington's ammo business, to better control market supply and pricing. ..."

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/matt-stoller-argues-industry-consolidation-contributes/id1575280600?i=1000548099718

Stocking up is a relative term. It’s quite possible for someone to have stocked up beyond your wildest dreams back when prices were $35, and then spent all of covid shooting ten times more than ever before, oh yeah, and triple that because two kids we didn’t expect to have back home ended being with us the whole time. Ammo was nothing, I “thought” I had enough food supplies to last the Mrs and I a year. That turned out to be less than three months with a 20 and 23 year old helping out.
You did not plan for that , so you shot outside your expected supply. It happens
My dads method was to replace 1 with 2 before you used it. That way your always adding. If adding to your stash is hard you need to cut your use down: this is where 22s come in handy and stock pile 50k+ rounds
Another thing I do is buy my reloads from myself cost plus 20% this way I have some $$ on hand . The only think I missed out on was not buying another 8 lb jug or 3 or varget or H4895 . I got enough powder to get me through 2 more seasons of matches

I know this a primer thread, but all of Larry's powder is now out of stock. I hadn't looked in a week or so, but I'm guessing the world situation caused a run on it. Larry also hasn't had any primers in some time.

a 8lb jugs of varget at ram - but with all the fees it gets to $47 per lb which is quite a ton. they priced those jugs before tax and shipping at what it would cost shipped/taxed from valley.

a 8lb jugs of varget at ram - but with all the fees it gets to $47 per lb which is quite a ton. they priced those jugs before tax and shipping at what it would cost shipped/taxed from valley.
aaaaaaannnnnnd....it's gone (at least it shows as out of stock now for me)

aaaaaaannnnnnd....it's gone (at least it shows as out of stock now for me)
damn, it was quick indeed then. valley site went down 2 days earlier when they dropped in same jugs - then it did let me put one in a cart, price was at $280 something - but then checkout would not let in, as it was rendered 'sold out' and that was the end of it, more waiting did nothing.

damn, it was quick indeed then. valley site went down 2 days earlier when they dropped in same jugs - then it did let me put one in a cart, price was at $280 something - but then checkout would not let in, as it was rendered 'sold out' and that was the end of it, more waiting did nothing.
A quick check on Gunbroker shows it going for $60-70 a pound in the auctions.

Back
Top Bottom