• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know how to install an FSB on an AR15?

I don't know why he needed a lathe to do any of this shit, but whatever. I'd forgo that and just man up and clamp that shit on there. I didn't watch and listen because odds are the guy was babbling about un-necessary horseshit. Like many people do. This isn't rocket science. The biggest thing is to get it drilled in a position that allows you to use the front sight.

So clamping it in place and squaring it up before drilling and pinning is something you should do after test firing it and making sure it's where it needs to be. When building AKs this is common practice: shoot and adjust sight before drilling and pinning.

and I hate to "be that guy" to point this out, but that FSB doesn't look like it is meant for taper pins. Not pins that go through the barrel, anyways. They sit way too close to the center axis of the barrel, and if you drill all the way through, you're going to get way too close to your chamber.

are you sure the picture of that FSB is correct? And that it doesn't use set screws?

link to the FSB would be helpful here.

and I apologize for getting riled up about not doing this yourself. I just get sick looking at some of the shit people pay out to "gunsmiths" on NES. This stuff can and should be done by yourself because you are a god damned man. There is no need to pay a guy $200 to do this simple shit.

and paying a hobbyist on here (like boris, etc) gets you on a slippery slope: they aren't licensed to do that shit. Having them help you do it for the fun of it? way different. If you're going to pay someone like that, just don't post about it on here, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a armors block? I think that's what it called I'd offer to drill it for you for free. You know the block what has holes and notches cut in to it to drive pins out....
I'm going with a clamp on gas block so I don't need to worry about this lol...

It could be installed by set screws. I don't give a shit how it's installed, I just want it done.

Flintoid, I have NONE of the tools you mention above, so that is why I need someone to do it. I assembled the lower with none of those special tools, but this is different. I am not holding my brand new AR parts in my hands, and try drilling them. I have no idea what I am doing.

well, if you have none of the tools, then you probably should send it out to get done. Or use this as an excuse to buy the tools so you have cool stuff to play with.

I'm not sure if this FSB uses pins. They look awfully high / close to the bore to be drilled all the way through.....

The barrel could be dimpled too, and just use set screws. I just want it done properly. I don't have drill presses, etc etc or have the room for any of that stuff.

I should have just spent the money on a damn free float rail and saved myself the damn hassle.

well, if you have none of the tools, then you probably should send it out to get done. Or use this as an excuse to buy the tools so you have cool stuff to play with.

I'm not sure if this FSB uses pins. They look awfully high / close to the bore to be drilled all the way through.....

It does. It uses taper pins, which means that in addition to the drill press you'd also need to buy the proper reamer. You also need to be very careful about drilling the holes so that you don't deform the barrel. (There's a couple of good reasons why accuratized ARs generally use set-screw FSBs and that's one of them.)

As someone who has build a decent number of ARs over the years, it's a mega huge pain in the ass to install a pinned FSB and not really worth it. Sure it's "correct" and "mil-spec," but I've never had a set-screw FSB ever loosen up on me and they're about a million times easier to install. Get them where you want them, drip some of that wicking loc-tite on, let it dry, and be done with it.

Can this one use set screws or not?? Or did I just waste money and buy the wrong site?

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought someone would know someone who could do it.

Greg derr got back to me and said he was too busy to do it. So, he's out.

right ,set screws give you the ability to get a mechanical zero,with out dicking with the rear windage knob. adco will put the set screw pockets in the barrel.
flats.jpg
Mill Flats For installation of set screw FSB $40.00
Mill 4 flats to properly install a set screw FSB. The FSB to be used must be sent with the barrel'

a setscrew sight is different than a pined one.

Now I have to send the damn barrel to Ohio? WTH?

Screw this. I am just going to sell the damns sight, and buy a free float rail. Now I'm just pissed.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll sell the sight, sell the hand guard and free float it. Done.

Now I have to send the damn barrel to Ohio? WTH?

Screw this. I am just going to sell the damns sight, and buy a free float rail. Now I'm just pissed.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll sell the sight, sell the hand guard and free float it. Done.

You can still use a drop in hand guard with a railed front block as an example. They sell many that come with set screws or pinch screws. I like the one from Yankee hill.

I just called Mike Pigney in Taunton per Greg Derr and left him a voicemail. Maybe he can do it.

I really wanted to use that style base on this build. I already have a free floated rail, and wanted something else.

My question is: Can the FSB I have be installed with set screws? It can right?

no.

this is the set screw fsb. in stock.
http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/55da3b9.htm

Why can't the sight I bought be installed with set screws?

- - - Updated - - -

My barrel isn't dimpled. I'll just call BEC right now and wait for Mike Pigney's call.

- - - Updated - - -

People obviously do this work everyday. I just need to find that person to do it.

Why can't the sight I bought be installed with set screws?

- - - Updated - - -

My barrel isn't dimpled. I'll just call BEC right now and wait for Mike Pigney's call.

- - - Updated - - -

People obviously do this work everyday. I just need to find that person to do it.

i spose ya could ,but if ya have a raw fsb with no holes in it,its just as easy to pin it as to drill it out ,thread, and put the screws in.

good luck. I guess that's why the barrel sets with fsb and gas tube are more dough.

PS If your barrel isn't drilled for the pins necessary to instal a stock FSB, you would be better off buying a new FSB rather than altering the barrel.

It will probably cost as much to get the FSB drilled as buying the clamp on type;.

But, the proper way to install one is to drill the holes through the FSB and the barrel at the same time. Drilling a FSB to match an existing drilled barrel is much, much more difficult - andmay not result in the same precision as a concurrent drill.

Well he said he does it all the time and knows what to do. So I am sure he knows how to do it.

I told him I had a virgin barrel and a virgin FSB. He said, "no problem."

Sounds like I am good to go. I can't wait to meet him and see how it comes out. I am just glad I finally found someone to do it.

If its Mike Pigney he is one of the best, first class work, you won't be sorry....

Well he said he does it all the time and knows what to do. So I am sure he knows how to do it.

I told him I had a virgin barrel and a virgin FSB. He said, "no problem."

So, because by barrel isn't drilled for it, I need a new sight?? Huh?

A gunsmith should be able to do exactly what I need. I'll just wait for Greg Derr's response to my email. He is very far from me, but I need it done.

At this point it is not a good idea to start carving on the barrel. Just get a front sight or gas block designed for your barrel.

Back
Top Bottom