• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know how to install an FSB on an AR15?

At this point it is not a good idea to start carving on the barrel. Just get a front sight or gas block designed for your barrel.

The front sight that he bought is designed for his barrel.

It's all set. He did what I wanted in about 45 minutes while I waited. He dimpled the barrel and used a set screw just like I wanted. First class work.

2-8_zps53bf60c4.jpeg

1-9_zps3f497439.jpeg

image-12_zps64b1c127.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

1 tiny little set screw, and that's it. Just the way I wanted it. Very clean job.

He put the gas tube in, installed and torqued my barrel nut, handguard cap, and installed the front sight.

Your nuts still expose. Need castration? The Chinese know how to get it done.

"Send it" via iPhone M107A1

Yes. He said he does it that way all the time. It's not going anywhere.

He's probably right, but most places do at least three. Never seen anyone just use one before.

He's probably right, but most places do at least three. Never seen anyone just use one before.

I am sure if he lopped off the bayonet lug, he could have done one right there too, but I am not worried about it.

He told me the way he does it, it's tight as hell and not going anywhere from what I can tell. So I trust him. If something happens and it comes loose, I'll go back down.

It's got a little lock tight he said on the set screw and dimpling, so I don't see how it could back off or loosen.

I am sure if he lopped off the bayonet lug, he could have done one right there too, but I am not worried about it.

He told me the way he does it, it's tight as hell and not going anywhere from what I can tell. So I trust him. If something happens and it comes loose, I'll go back down.

The other ones I've seen put one each on the left and right sides of the front part and the one on the bottom of the back part.

d-17639.jpg

Last edited:
The other ones I've seen put one each on the left and right sides of the front part and the one on the bottom of the back part.

Interesting. That seems like over kill. 2 would be better maybe, but I am sure 1 is fine.

I am not in combat, I am a casual range shooter. [laugh] If it comes loose down the road, I'll go back, and have him add one more.

Nice job, but not the mil spec way to install a FSB. The mil spec way is to clamp it in a jig and drill two holes through the flat sides on the bottom of the FSB that tangentially cut into the barrel (only part of the hold is in the barrel, part open to the side), then drive in two taper pins. The problem with this method is you only get to try once, since the FSB and barred are drilled concurrently, and you need a special figture to have any hope of pulling it off.

The job looks nice, and something any decent smith can pull off. Doing it mil-spec style requires a much higher skill (which this smith may indeed posses)

I would be very nervous about using any such "one time fitting" that marries a gas block to a barrel, and think you made out nicely with your setup. Just check it now and then and make sure it was loctited.

Nice job, but not the mil spec way to install a FSB. The mil spec way is to clamp it in a jig and drill two holes through the flat sides on the bottom of the FSB that tangentially cut into the barrel (only part of the hold is in the barrel, part open to the side), then drive in two taper pins. The problem with this method is you only get to try once, since the FSB and barred are drilled concurrently, and you need a special figture to have any hope of pulling it off.

The job looks nice, and something any decent smith can pull off. Doing it mil-spec style requires a much higher skill (which this smith may indeed posses)

I would be very nervous about using any such "one time fitting" that marries a gas block to a barrel, and think you made out nicely with your setup. Just check it now and then and make sure it was loctited.

He was going to use the taper pin method, and I asked him not to. I asked him to use the set screws, and that's what he did. Again, for the little bit of time I actually get to the range, it will be just fine. He has been a gun smith for 25 years, I am 100% satisfied with the job he did, and have no problem recommending him to anyone. I got him from Greg Derr. I don't think Greg would recommend just anyone.

Should I have gone with his idea, and done the taper pins? Maybe, only time will tell.

Last edited:
The nice thing about doing it this way is should you want to change your front sight out for something else it will be easier for sure.

That's exactly why I had him do it this way. If I want to change something now, my barrel isn't all marred up.

I messed with it last night. That sight ain't going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom