Anyone into air guns?

Westfield sportsmans club had a range for kids and airguns for a while. Guess it wasn't a big hit cuz now its overgrown and about to be bulldozed into a shotgun range if I remember correctly.

I love my air guns.
Especially my old vintage pumpers. The 22 Cal crosman 140/1400 are great. Better built than most 22s rimfire now. My favorite is a1968.
Also have some of the classics 880, 760, red ryder
I also have a benjiman discovery hpa another fun accurate gun for the money.
I think to many associate air guns with typical cheap bb guns from walmart and don't consider the need or desire to shoot them....
Glad to see them open a range though. Good for them may get some young generations shooting.

I wish them luck, I have a few old air guns I shoot in my yard, Crossman 760 and an original Red Ryder.

Westfield sportsmans club had a range for kids and airguns for a while. Guess it wasn't a big hit cuz now its overgrown and about to be bulldozed into a shotgun range if I remember correctly.
When a range officer at Westfield asked my friend and I to leave the shotgun range because the police were shooting 2 ranges down we spoke about the metal awning that is there is going to be moved from what was the air gun range he said no one shot air guns there anymore. From our conversation it sounded like they used to have big air gun matches there but there is no longer any interested in air guns.

Ya they did. They had it all measured out to strange distances so the kids could have their competitions. I guess it just died off.

And I wouldn't have moved, police can train and qualify with other people shooting.

When he came by we were actually moving to the rifle range anyway, but the 3 of us stood there for another hour or so BSing. He wasn't happy about asking us to move, but I asked if they were paying members and he told me no.

I never thought there would be a big interest but I guess there is some local Olympic type air gun shooters and it sounds like some if the ROTC and junior shooting teams are interested in training. With the cost and availability of .22 it might be a affordable option. Either way I'm putting the word out and I wish him luck.

I picked up an "airsoft" pistol recently. It is a perfect copy of my steel gun, fires 6mm plastic "BBs" and will group about one in at 20 feet. I just finished setting up a range in my garage with miniature plates for the Steel Challenge and some 1/2 and 1/3 sized reactive IPSC targets. Using CO2 cartridges it costs me less than $.01 per shot, the CO2 being the major expense. I just ordered the parts necessary to convert the pistol to run off of my compressor, so the price per shot will now be about $.0024. The only disadvantage is the lack of recoil, but I think this method of training will be effective when combined with live fire.

I've got an old Benjamin Sheridan "Silverstreak" rifle made in Racine, Wisconsin that is in 5mm caliber pellets. It's a "bolt action" older model but in extremely fine shape. I got it as part of a deal I brokered a long while back. It even came with the original scope and scope mount which is super nice! I'm constantly impressed with the quality built into this "bolt action" pellet rifle. It's a pump, too, and all it needs are two or three pumps and it's ready to go to about 200' with a nice flat trajectory. It's an excellent rifle to practice slow-fire rifle with because it's so accurate and weights so much. I play in the back yard with it all the time shooting paper or soda cans. It'll put a pellet through a can at 200' easily. It would most definitely take out a squirrel. The stock is a nice walnut and this year I'm going to perform a full restoration on this beauty to keep it for the future shooters in the family. The kids love to shoot it and it's incredibly safe, too.

I also have a CO2 pistol by BS as well. The problems is that I need an "O" ring seal for the CO2 plug and can't find one. A regular black "O" ring from an auto shop will blow out. I've got to try to find one that is made to handle pressures.

Anyway, when I can't get to my normal range shooting this 'ol BS beast is fun, quiet, and keeps my eyes keen.

Rome

Just bought a nice pump rifle to terrorize the squirrels at my bird feeder and suet thing. I put a cheap tasco scope on it.

I am surprised how accurate the thing is.

I just crack the window open now and they are still running 100 yards away.

I have a couple of C02 pistols that I shoot in the basement and at squirrels on the feeder. Good winter fun.

I've got an old Benjamin Sheridan "Silverstreak" rifle made in Racine, Wisconsin that is in 5mm caliber pellets. It's a "bolt action" older model but in extremely fine shape. I got it as part of a deal I brokered a long while back. It even came with the original scope and scope mount which is super nice! I'm constantly impressed with the quality built into this "bolt action" pellet rifle. It's a pump, too, and all it needs are two or three pumps and it's ready to go to about 200' with a nice flat trajectory. It's an excellent rifle to practice slow-fire rifle with because it's so accurate and weights so much. I play in the back yard with it all the time shooting paper or soda cans. It'll put a pellet through a can at 200' easily. It would most definitely take out a squirrel. The stock is a nice walnut and this year I'm going to perform a full restoration on this beauty to keep it for the future shooters in the family. The kids love to shoot it and it's incredibly safe, too.

I also have a CO2 pistol by BS as well. The problems is that I need an "O" ring seal for the CO2 plug and can't find one. A regular black "O" ring from an auto shop will blow out. I've got to try to find one that is made to handle pressures.

Anyway, when I can't get to my normal range shooting this 'ol BS beast is fun, quiet, and keeps my eyes keen.

Rome

The older sheridans before crosman bought them are great. that 20cal pellet with a 10 grain pellet will take a squirrel or cotton tail out to about 30-35 yards. a good working streak puts the pellets @ high 600s on 8 pumps.
When sheridans came out in the late 40s they where no joke. The cost 59$ in 1949 and remained expensive until benjiman bough them. The design is tough as nails and as long as you dont over pump them or over oil them they will last a very long long time. What crosman basically did was take the 397/392 and barrel it for 20 cal. and called it the sheridan.
I just brought one back to life 1980s vintage. Seals are a pain to replace in them, when they do go.

Got a gorgeous RWS Diana I bought about 30 yrs ago, and a couple of cheap Chinese spring pistons. .177 and .22

I've always loved that you don't need to go anywhere to shoot em.

I see the range is "lead free" not good for a lot of shooters. Will they have out door ranges? I will email them
I do not believe he has plans to do a outdoor range. Why is led free not good for a lot of shooters?

I do not believe he has plans to do a outdoor range. Why is led free not good for a lot of shooters?

Cause lead pellets rock. There is not good selection of lead free pellets that work well at the moment. Plus lead free are more$ 10$/100. Vs 15$/500
I truely hope it works for them. Help get kids into it. I like to find non working Bobby guns get them going and give them away.

Cause lead pellets rock. There is not good selection of lead free pellets that work well at the moment. Plus lead free are more$ 10$/100. Vs 15$/500
I truely hope it works for them. Help get kids into it. I like to find non working Bobby guns get them going and give them away.
Yeah I don't know much about it. I do know the olyimpic style shooters were putting up 1/4 or less groups with lead free pellets. I bought some from him they were $8 for 250 and went up from there.

My favorite gun is my Air Arms 410 Extra Walnut. I was considering a hi quality .22 rimfire when a friend recommended an adult, quality air rifle. I am very glad I did. My wife and guests shoot it in our yard and have a blast. I love the convenience and in a SHTF situation it is the gun that will feed us, be it squirrels or bluejays without making a lot of fuss and so far minimal regulations. The current version is below. I have had a very good experience with Straight Shooters.

http://www.straightshooters.com/air-arms-s510-extra-.22-walnut.html

Check out Airguns Of Arizona. Most of the higher end PCP airguns cost more that your rifle collection!

I have a suppressed Gamo "Bone Collector" that I really like. It's super accurate and has some pretty insane velocity on it - especially with the PBA pellets. I bought it because we were over run with squirrels that were chewing up the trim on my house, eating through the wires on my Christmas lights, etc. I have it sighted in at 100' so that I can take them from about anywhere in my yard. The suppressor works excellent, although it is a bit louder when using the really high velocity pellets. With the hunting type pellets, it is perfect for not attracting attention from nosy neighbors!

The other issue with lead-free is that the POI is entirely different. All my air rifles are sighted in with relatively heavy lead hunting pellets, so shooting lead-free pellets is annoying at best.
attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom