• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Here Into Model Rocketry?

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
My nephew asked me if I could get him a model rocket setup for his birthday. It's OK with his dad (my brother) and his mother so I figured I'd be a good uncle and set him up.
I played with these things back in the 70's and had a lot of fun with them. I did some research and things haven't changed much since then. The rocket motors are still the same, with the same numbering system I remember from way back when. The rockets too are pretty much the same. The only real advance is in the ignition system, but it's not exactly a new technology.
My question is about the current permitting system. Back when I was into this, I had to get a permit from the local Fire Dept to purchase the rocket motors. The local hobby shop wouldn't sell them to me without it. I also remember the permit stating specific such locations where launching rockets was allowed, and it also had wind speed restrictions.
Do the old rules I remember still apply today?

I don't believe that to be the case anymore. I built a Nike Ajax 4 or 5 years ago and bought the rockets without a permit. I also remember as a kid having to go to the fire department and having to get a permit. Didn't have to do it when I was older.

Oh and as a side note, do not use a C5-8 in a Nike Ajax. Flew up great, crashed into the ground before the secondary booster blew what was left into a shredded cardboard and wood pile. [thinking] Friends thought it was funny as hell. It would of been if I hadn't spent so much damn time building it.

I'm not sure why, but these things are not popular at all. I thought they were fun as hell.

Used to launch all kinds of stuff from the middle of Lake Winnipesawkee during the winter. Could send up 3 stage and multi-engine lightweights and then chase 'em on snowmobiles.

I've also launched a few from the field at the top of the hill Holy Cross is on in Worcester. Probably should not have stuck the 24" parachute on that little lightweight.... Watched that thing sail out over the highway and out of sight. (^_^)

Nothing like having some 3 'D' engine powered rockets to liven up the day.

Seriously, it's fun, but you have to be willing to spend hours building good stuff only to see it fail. Built a Mercury model and constructed the laticework of the escape tower all by hand. Was talked into doing a first flight with just an 'A' engine only to watch the rocket clear the tower and drive that 20+ hour balsa tower into the ground. I never used anything smaller than a 'C' after that.

Skip the "starter' kits and get a good quality launch platform. My first one was a setup that sat on the top of a 6 volt battery. That lasted right up to the time the wind tipped over the tower just as the igniter was firing.

These days, you can get HUGE engines. With federal permits and FAA clearance, you can get stuff that will put rockets above the clouds easily.

I was huge into rocketry back in the 70's and early 80's. We custom built some D-powered monsters, along with the plethora of Estes and Century, (now defunct I think) builds. We also had a passion for launching living creatures in the cargo bay of the CamRoc. It had a clear cargo tube in place of the camera that we never purchased separately. We'd launch any/everything in that thing - from crickets to frogs. Our favorite was a hamster we named Sputnik. He made several space trips - including one where we engineered a parachute solely for him. After boost, the ejection phase would fire and we placed the nose cone on the CamRoc loosely, so when the cargo tube popped, the nose cone fell free and Sputnik parachuted on his own back into the Ohio cornfield where we launched him from. After that, we decided he had enough and retired him back to the pet department at Perskys Department Store where we swiped him from....[grin]

Recently, I bought an Estes complete pre assembled kit for my nephew and we launched it out in the field behind my house - brought back some memories. I have no idea why rocketry isn't more popular - perhaps it's the X-Box generation...Hide-n-seek and playing cowboys and indians isn't very popular anymore either...

Launched this rocket called the Big Meanie once...it was a 6' long rocket about 2-3" in diameter...it would go about 300 ft with a D engine.

We loaded it up with just a few black-cat fireworks....and other things, like crushed up powder from a few D engines.... It went up about 10 ft, then crashed to the ground in a big bang and flash of smoke and fire..... I only wish we had the video camera for that....

It's town dependant on permitting. It's best to check with them. They will also inform you if town parks or schools allow launching them.

My son and I still build and launch rockets. We have a field that is perfect for the 1/4 engines.

As always, if you are starting out, check Walmart. They have complete starter kits for ~$20 (everything but batteries). They carry engines too, but they only seem to carry A8-3 or C6-5's. The igniters are included with the engines. I'm not sure how long you have been away from the hobby, but E-engines are semi new (10-15 years) and fun [smile]. Trying to find space big enough for true high power rockets is almost impossible in New England. You would need permits for those and be certified by someone lke Tripoli

I was huge into rocketry back in the 70's and early 80's. We custom built some D-powered monsters, along with the plethora of Estes and Century, (now defunct I think) builds.

I never did get into "D" class stuff. The motors were too expensive for me @ 13. Estes seems to still be the big player in the market.

We also had a passion for launching living creatures in the cargo bay of the CamRoc. It had a clear cargo tube in place of the camera that we never purchased separately. We'd launch any/everything in that thing - from crickets to frogs. Our favorite was a hamster we named Sputnik.

I remember the CamRoc, that and the CineRoc with the movie camera. I never did have one though. Again, that was the expensive stuff. I did have one called te "PayLoader" with the clear cargo bay. I never launched a hampster or frog, but I did launce some insects. The rocket camera stuff they have now is way better than when I was a kid. I'm lloking at a catalog that shows rockets with miniature digital still and movie cameres for short money.

Recently, I bought an Estes complete pre assembled kit for my nephew and we launched it out in the field behind my house - brought back some memories. I have no idea why rocketry isn't more popular - perhaps it's the X-Box generation...Hide-n-seek and playing cowboys and indians isn't very popular anymore either...

I ordered a starter kit that came with two rockets w/ some engines and launcher. There seems to be a lot of ready-to-launch rockets available with one piece fins and such. I'll get my nephew started with this and see where it goes from there.

I never launched a hampster or frog, but I did launce some insects.

Frogs were a disaster...Toads seemed to survive okay, but frogs - not so much...Gooey...[shocked]

I also remember one of the coolest single launch rocket we built was the Scissor-Wing. I say single launch, as we launched it and watched the glider catch thermals and disappear...Never saw it again.

I also remembered I have a rocket that takes 2 D or E engines. I have another I bought that was designed for 3 D, but I never completed it because I wanted to get the 3 E engine upgrade kit.

I also remembered I have a rocket that takes 2 D or E engines. I have another I bought that was designed for 3 D, but I never completed it because I wanted to get the 3 E engine upgrade kit.

After a series of launch failures - some spectacular and involving police and fire department response, we successfully launched "MF"... MF was kind of the swan song of our rocketry career - we were older, (17-18) and 3/4 baked when we launched it from my mothers back yard. It was a two-stage rocket with 4 D's to launch and a triple-C second stage. Everything about this rocket was custom. We made it from a length of carpet tube and a hand-made fiberglass nose-cone and parachutes. The trick was getting near-simultaneous ignition of the engines, (which was problematic). I will never know if Art was just lucky, or a genius. I was kind of the "idea man" - Art was skilled at making it happen - we were both closet pyromaniacs. The engines were sunk deep and we used thin copper flashing to make an expansion cone. The early attempts were heavy - they'd lumber off the launch-pad. With bad timing, they often took a hard turn and spiraled into the neighborhood, (hence police/fire...[wink]). After some reengineering, (rocket, engine mods and launch-pad) and likely a stroke of luck - we had success. This thing cleared the launch-rod, seemed to stall a second and then took friggin off....We watched this thing sail into the Ohio sky with a stoned sense of giddiness...We could barely see the rocket, when the pause came for the second stage. We didn't hear much, just saw the trail of smoke, then a puff as the second stage took off at a slight angle and disappeared from view. The parachutes didn't fully deploy from the first stage, (melted a bit) and it crash landed about 6-blocks away in the IGA parking lot. The second stage chutes deployed like a charm, but it was so high we could only barely see it. By the time we got a good view of stage 2, it was at least 1/2 a mile away in a beech forest - we never did find it. We fired up a smoke, hopped into the "Death Wagon", (1972 Ford LTD Country Squire) and recovered stage 1 to the puzzlement of folks in the IGA parking lot...[grin]

We sent pre-launch Polaroids and a post-launch synopsis to Estes and Century. We were convinced they'd buy our design, (kids that we were). Never did hear back from Century, but Estes sent us a couple of T-Shirts, an altimeter and a form letter congratulating us on our "adventures in rocketeering". We asked, but they never did send us the pictures of MF back...Would be a kick to see them again...

Sorry for the ramble - this thread just sparked some memories....

I've wanted to get into model rockets for a few years now. Any suggestions on places to shop on line or in the metrowest area near rt 95?

Years ago, my oldest son took his younger brother out to a field near town to light up one of their rockets.
Apparently, things didnt go as planned and the fire dept ended up responding to about 5 acres of burning field..[rolleyes]
I was in Bosnia when it happened and the phone message they left me after they called the fire dept. was the first thing I heard from my family when I got back.
They older one sounded a little frantic and I didnt think the younger one knew all those "bad words" I could hear in the background. :)
I dont know what they expected me to do from so far away...[sad] They just had a "we need Dad" moment.
As soon as I got back home I went down to the FD and got the scoop.
Several of the guys knew I was gone when it happened and "boys will be boys,no problem" was what I was told. They even gave the kids a ride home, with their fried rocket.

cat_rocket.jpg

Not another cat thread!

I had an old Alpha 3 (actually, it's still probably lying around somewhere) that I used a bunch of times. My favorite one, though, was the one I made out of several layers of aluminum foil wrapped around a B engine. packed it with wadding, etc, parachute. Took it out to the Potomac on the Fourth and shot it off over the river (under the then-National Airport flightpath). Forgot entirely about the fact that it was a booster stage engine and didn't account for that in the design. When the burn hit the ignition charge for the next stage, it broke the rocket into two flaming pieces which fell near boats. Whoops.

I did a Apollo on a Saturn 5 booster, it had a pair of "D" motors and "C" second stage. First time I fired it off the fins stayed on the pad (they were Plexiglas and held on with a hook), the rocket went about 5 feet off the ground (it was almost 3), did a 90 deg turn level with the ground, can you say RPG? [rofl] Went about 30 feet, then it hit the ground, went about 50 feet, second stage cut in and it went in big circles, by they we were on the ground pissing ourselves laughing so hard and the best was when the chutes deployed, "POOF" ! [rofl]

Anyways, after a half hour of repairs, it flew like it should have. [laugh]

I am sure your nephew and yourself will have some fun times and memories, enjoy!

Was just talking about model rockets at work today. I remember it being SO much fun....... and then not SO much fun watching 3 hours worth of work end up in a tree or worse....... ah good times

Like most kids, I grew up building and flying model rockets. Many years later (30), I discovered the world of high-power rocketry. Still the same principles, just on a much larger scale. I was certified Level 2 and was half-way through my level 3 build when I decided to call it quits.

As far as permits go, I found out it is town specific as to which require permits for motors and flying. Some towns will not approve "legal" flying of model rockets at all. The town I live in does not require a permit, but also does not permit flying in the city limits. As I was into HPR, I was required to have a permit, as well as a federal Low Explosives User Permit. That in itself, required a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through, as well as an extensive visit and survey by the local fire chief and the BATFE. This was partly due to the fact that I live in a residential neighborhood.

All in all, it was a lot of fun and would highly recommend it to anyone able and willing to do it.

Here is a video shortly after I got back into the hobby. The rocket is 76" tall, 4.3" in diameter on a J350 motor.

I have been launching with my son for several years. I didn't ask for a permit and no one bothered us. Same as always, launching those rockets turns heads and everyone was curious. Although neitehr my son nor his friends are that interested in *building* rockets, the launch and retrieval held their interest. (Models in general appears to be a dying industry.) A good place to buy rockets and engines is Alex's R C Hobbyworks @ 129 Belmont St in Belmont (Watertown line).

I was an Estes Rocket freak in the early 70's.

Flashback coming............

Model:

Beta
Big Bertha
Red Max
Andomeda.......a big mother
Scrambler.....3 D-engines
Scout

Back
Top Bottom