• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have success renewing LTC-A ALP in Boston?

Yes, I know it's extremely difficult to get an unrestricted LTC-A in Boston, but what about renewals if you already have one? I moved from Chelsea to W.Roxbury (I assume I still have to go through Boston) about 3-4 years ago and have had an unrestricted LTC for the last 10 years. It expires in 9 months and wouldn't you know it, the political climate is worse than ever now due to recent tragedies. Anyway, for those of you who live in the city, I'd like to hear your experiences. Am I just out of luck here?

Not for work. My first LTC back in '94 was restricted. When I renewed for my 2nd, they literally gave it to me without me even asking. Same when I renewed again for the 3rd time. Based on the impression I got, the licensing detective never gave ALPs on the first attempt. After that though, as long as I've proven I can be trusted, He didn't a problem issuing them out.

Boston does not work that way,you have to give them a good reason why you need a LTC-ALP.What part of WR did you move to,do you have a gun club you go to? Give me a PM and I might be able to help you with a few things.

I'm in Rossi where is there a good club I go all the way to Atelboro

Welcome, but wrong forum. Try looking in the Gun Club Forum for lots of clubs in the Boston to Attleboro corridor. The answer will depend a lot on what you are looking for in a club.

It is *NOT* impossible to get an LTC-A ALP in Boston. I just did. (OK, I applied *way* back in October and it took 12 weeks to get my license, but cie la vie...) I had an LTC permit back in NH (though didn't actually own a firearm) when I lived there before coming to Boston in 2004. This was my first application in MA. I attended the required safety course (@ Bay State Firearms in Peabody -- Ray is great!), filled out my application, and then completed the required proficiency test @ the State Police post in Quincy. (I shot a 270 -- not bad for newbie.) And without going into details, no, my record is not spotless. :-( My best advice is to be honest on the application because they will find everything and if they think you are trying to hide something or lie, you will be rejected.

Did you get if for your job,what do you do for a living? These factors come into play when it come to getting a non restricted LTC from Boston.

I'm more likely to run into virtual security threats than physical ones. (I'm a network engineer.) To be honest, my real desire was for target shooting, but I was told not to put that down as it would trigger a limit on the LTC. Similarly, I was warned *not* to indicate the license was for work otherwise I might be limited to carrying to and from work. I was instructed to answer "for personal protection in and out of the home," which I did. Successfully.

Congrats! this is the first time I have heard of someone getting thier LTC-A non restriction in Boston,without having to give a good resone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom