Anyone have experience with the HK VP9?

Got to shoot the VP9 this morning, impressive gun, trigger was nice, ergo are excellent, although I didn't get to try the other grip inserts. It was very accurate with federal american eagle ammo. Mag release is gay, ruins the gun

Still want one pretty badly. But I think the mag release would be awkward as well because every gun I own has it where it belongs. But to each his own.

Still want one pretty badly. But I think the mag release would be awkward as well because every gun I own has it where it belongs. But to each his own.

I think the logic is sound, you're not gonna drop the magazine by accident, but definitely takes some getting used to.

But I don't think I've ever released the mag on my Sig by accident, I have more trouble with the slide release.

...actually thinking about a 1911 9mm.

Don't do it, unless you have a gunsmith on speed dial and you're willing to run the gun back and forth a few times to un**** it. When you have one that works right they are great.... soft shooting, accurate. If you're still hell bent on the idea I would try to find an STI Spartan or one of its fancier brothers. The guys I know with STIs bitch the least. On the other hand Every person I know who has bought the 9mm smith pro has had a "****ed up gun experience".

-Mike

It's a smidge bigger than the G19. I have a crossbreed super tuck for both and I can't tell the difference between them when they are on my hip. Both conceal the same.

Yes, because the CB is the IWB holster equivalent of an aircraft carrier, the plane inside it being a different size would hardly be noticed.

People are obsessed with those things and I have no idea why.... it's like tucking a VCR in your pants. To each their own I guess.

I will say this though... the newer HKs (P2000 on up) -ARE- more carryable than sigs (purveyor of school buses) and guns like the USP compacts, etc. Less blocky, less slide bulk, etc. So I'll give HK credit for that at least. I could probably carry a VP9 and not completely hate it.

-Mike

Don't do it, unless you have a gunsmith on speed dial and you're willing to run the gun back and forth a few times to un**** it. When you have one that works right they are great.... soft shooting, accurate. If you're still hell bent on the idea I would try to find an STI Spartan or one of its fancier brothers. The guys I know with STIs bitch the least. On the other hand Every person I know who has bought the 9mm smith pro has had a "****ed up gun experience".

-Mike

My experience with a S&W Pro Series 1911 is the complete opposite. It's run better than any gun I've ever purchased, brand new out of the box. I haven't had a stoppage or malfunction. Judging by my reloads bench, it's been at least 3000 rounds since I've even disassembled to clean it.

From what I know of a few others personal experience with the STI Trojan , their experience is the same

Last edited:
How was the muzzle rise?

Its is a 9mm, so very mild. The front sight tracked well. I thinking with the larger grip inserts, it would be easier to clamp down on the gun. With the stock inserts, my left hand wanted to slide forward as I gripped hard. Not as bad as the MP with its very narrow front strap

My experience with a S&W Pro Series 1911 is the complete opposite. It's run better than any gun I've ever purchased, brand new out of the box. I haven't had a stoppage or malfunction. Judging by my reloads bench, it's been at least 3000 rounds since I've even disassembled to clean it.

It's probably not a 9mm. (or you got the one gun that worked right).

-Mike

It's probably not a 9mm. (or you got the one gun that worked right).

-Mike

Seeing as how your post was directly referring to your dislike of 9mm 1911's it would probably make sense that mine is a 9mm wouldn't it....

Yes, mine is a 9mm. I personally know of 4 or 5 of the 9mm Pro Series 1911 that have in excess of 10k on them without issues. What's your personal experience that makes you think different?

-Mike
I can actually buy "any" 1911 I want to but I'm not looking for a safe queen and I want something Very cheap to kinda test out and to put Many rounds through it . Believe it or not I'm kinda dead set on the Rock Island Armory Tactical.

the only caliber worth owning is .40S&W.
9mm and .45acp can barely punch holes in paper.

the VP9 is simply treading water (and barely punching paper holes) until the VP40 shows up.
VP40 = winning [banana]

Seeing as how your post was directly referring to your dislike of 9mm 1911's it would probably make sense that mine is a 9mm wouldn't it....

Yes, mine is a 9mm. I actually know of 4 or 5 of them personally that have in excess of 10k on them without issues. What's your personal experience?

My personal experience is that everyone I know who has bought the things has had to send it to smith 2 or 3 times to get it fixed. I stopped counting the horror stories so I don't have an exact number of guns. Maybe they finally un****ed the gun... but I sure as hell wouldn't buy one unless it was used and I got to test fire it before committing the dough. I was pretty close at one point to buying one. The only other thing I don't like is it still has the swartz safety in it, but that isn't necessarily a dealbreaker.

-Mike

My personal experience is that everyone I know who has bought the things has had to send it to smith 2 or 3 times to get it fixed. I stopped counting the horror stories so I don't have an exact number of guns. Maybe they finally un****ed the gun... but I sure as hell wouldn't buy one unless it was used and I got to test fire it before committing the dough. I was pretty close at one point to buying one. The only other thing I don't like is it still has the swartz safety in it, but that isn't necessarily a dealbreaker.

-Mike

Mine hasnt been to a smith, and when purchasing I contacted Greg Derr for an opinion and his opinion was they typically run out of the box. There are two or 3 others locally used in USPSA, and at least one other in IDPA all with high round counts without any major issues that I've discussed with the owners.

I've also sold 5 in a retail setting and none of them returned or had anything other than praise from a very pretty good shooters ( one of them likely under up being a safe queen, as the guy 5 hat bought doesn't shoot anything he owns )

Mine hasnt been to a smith, and when purchasing I contacted Greg Derr for an opinion and his opinion was they typically run out of the box. There are two or 3 others locally used in USPSA, and at least one other in IDPA all with high round counts without any major issues that I've discussed with the owners.

I've also sold 5 in a retail setting and none of them returned or had anything other than praise from a very pretty good shooters ( one of them likely under up being a safe queen, as the guy 5 hat bought doesn't shoot anything he owns )

Well, its good to hear at least some people got working guns. It's possible my intel is dated. (It's been out for several years now). I just know when those guns first appeared in MA, they were horror shows. There's several NES threads where people are bitching about them, too. I think it was at least Vellenueve and one other guy here had one he had to send back to S&W at least twice before they fixed it right.

-Mike

Well, its good to hear at least some people got working guns. It's possible my intel is dated. (It's been out for several years now). I just know when those guns first appeared in MA, they were horror shows. There's several NES threads where people are bitching about them, too. I think it was at least Vellenueve and one other guy here had one he had to send back to S&W at least twice before they fixed it right.

-Mike

Interesting, I was unaware of these issues. Mine is new production ( last winter ) and has run without any sort of break in issues. The one issue I had my a out of, spec reload that I didn't catch at the bench

If I had to do it again, I would get a STI Trojan. I really like my Pro Series, but S&W does some stupid shit, like using proprietary sight cuts. .. that's just F'in stupid.

Got to shoot the VP9 this morning, impressive gun, trigger was nice, ergo are excellent, although I didn't get to try the other grip inserts. It was very accurate with federal american eagle ammo. Mag release is gay, ruins the gun
I own a p30. Honestly doesn't take much getting used to at all. It's like second nature and I have never accidentally hit the release either.

Any confirmation on what the trigger poundage is gonna be on this? If I have to screw around with it - I'm not getting it! I had high hopes for this one too.

The mag release on these is just like the one on my Walther P99 and I have never had an issue with it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Any confirmation on what the trigger poundage is gonna be on this? If I have to screw around with it - I'm not getting it! I had high hopes for this one too.

Northeast Arms in the other VP9 thread says it's the standard trigger and everything else (5.5 lbs?).

I'm not sure if that means it'll be on the Approved Roster but not be AG compliant?

Back
Top Bottom