• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone ever been to KTP?

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Holy crap ! They literally have 1,000's of guns there and most all long guns are right there for you to pickup...not chained or locked in any way.

Hundreds and hundreds of handguns. If you want it, they got it. I thought prices were a little high though. One lettered Colt .45 revolver had a price tag of $25,000 !

I dropped off my C&R and bought only a S&W book.

If you've never been, it's worth the trip.

Last edited:
I think I've been going to KTP for the last 20(?) or so years. I liked it better when it was smaller.

It's funny L.L. Beans has changed into L.L. Filenes and KTP has changed into L.L. Beans.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Kittery Trading Post...I guess you haven't been there[smile] .

[crying] sadly ...no...i'm just applying for my LTC A now... luckily i've heard that Millbury is reasonably good at issuing... plus i have some connections in the PD. But I digress.. sorry for the temporary thread hijack.... and now back to our leading story this evening..... Kittery Trading Post....

I go at least twice a year. I can often trick the wife into going to the candy shop (Yummies) and a few other places up there and stop in the KTP.
Every once in a while I find a nice rifle there but have never bought anything. Pretty slim pickings for milsurp rifles and when I do find a nice one its much more than what I care to spend. They do usually have a nice selection of cheap .22 bolt action rifles though. I think they have their fireams inventory on their web site.

Like going there when in the area to handle hand guns you can't get to buy in MA. $$ for ammo better at FS.

how do i love kittery...let me count the ways

kittery is a great place to look over and fondle many guns before you decide to buy something...also if you do buy up there tell them you want to buy it in NH...theyll drive you 2 miles down the road over the border in NH and you wont have to pay tax

prices are a little on the high side but every now and then you can find a deal

ammo is no steal though because of the 6% tax on already overpriced stuff however they do have alot of the harder to find metric calibers that winchester puts out

it also warms my heart whenever i go in there and look at a brand new glock for $500 and then reminded of how i own the same exact one...except its 5 years old and cost me $900

It is a place for the infidel to mecca. Millsurp is right about Yummies, before you know it I have spent more there than at KTP. if you go to www.ktpguns.com you can see what they have in used inventory.

I bought a Winchester Timber Scout 1894 .44 mag from them a few weeks before Winchester shut down. It is impressive to stroll the racks of long guns there.

Sadly , I have outgrown KTP ... They are expensive for ammo , they are unsure of Ma long arm laws - at least w/ AR variations. .. And buying an out of State Ma compliant handgun is too damn hard.

But I do buy primers,powder,dies and lead from them.

I wlaked out of there with a 12g 870 last winter , used , no box. Just carried it out over my shoulder and scared the bejesus out of a group of Japanese tourists. Which was sort of funny

Nice selection like everyone said. Helpful and friendly staff. Surprisingly their powder prices seem good, and they have lots of reloading stuff.

KTP and Rileys are tourture chambers for MA residents!

KTP is where I got my very lightly used Dillon 550B-w/ strong mount and shellplate for .38 Specail for $220. Their prices for other presses and equipment were really good too- new and used both.

That, and Bob's Clam Hut right down the road, plus Yummies, makes for happy shooters and families!

I bought a Winchester Timber Scout 1894 .44 mag from them a few weeks before Winchester shut down. It is impressive to stroll the racks of long guns there.

Sadly , I have outgrown KTP ... They are expensive for ammo , they are unsure of Ma long arm laws - at least w/ AR variations. .. And buying an out of State Ma compliant handgun is too damn hard.

But I do buy primers,powder,dies and lead from them.

I wlaked out of there with a 12g 870 last winter , used , no box. Just carried it out over my shoulder and scared the bejesus out of a group of Japanese tourists. Which was sort of funny
I bought one of my gun safes and alot of ammo from them back in the day. They are WAY too rich for my blood now unless they are having a sale of some kind. I do love to browse their used BP rifle section. I've seen a few nice ones there in the past year or so. The last time I tried to buy powder or primers off them I thought their prices were off the charts. Maybe I'll have to give them another look?

Bought some ammo there a while ago. While I was paying, my wife asked if I needed to show my permit. I said "Nope." The girl behind the register just smiled.

It's five minutes off my daily commute, so I stop there once a week or so now. Most of their prices are average, but I did pick up a couple of IWB holsters for like $2 a pop, and a couple of cheap magazines and speedloaders (speedloaders were a buck apiece and mags were pretty cheap)

It's too depressing for me to see all the nice handguns and also the quality handguns that aren't available to us in the Republik.
I've heard they don't even want to talk to you in the handgun section if you're from MA.

I won't shop there anymore. I've just had too many bad experiences. I'd rather give my money to shops in MA to keep fighting the fight.

The last time I went to KTP I had a clerk in the firearm section tell me I didn't know what I was talking about, what I wanted didn't exist, and tried to sell me something else. I had him get a catalog from behind the counter, looked up what I wanted, then took my money elsewhere.

Armed Mainer , large pistol primers were 2.20 per hundred , A pound of bullseye, red dot or Unique ran around 16 , and 500 ranier 230gr RN copper encapsulated .45 was about $65.

I can complain about anything. All in all I enjoy going there , and will again.

It's too depressing for me to see all the nice handguns and also the quality handguns that aren't available to us in the Republik.
I've heard they don't even want to talk to you in the handgun section if you're from MA.

It's a LOT like a strip joint. You can look, but ya can't touch 'em or take 'em home to play with...... [frown]

Martlett , you know what ? I am finding that if I have to talk to the help anywhere it's a bad thing.

it's the HomeDepot-izing of American retail : No one knows anything. "Put what I want on the shelf and don't talk to me" gets my dollar nowadays.

I did walk out of there in disgust on a crowded Saturday while price comparing Bushmasters vs. FSG's prices. The people behind the counter tried to tell me I can't have a flat top AR in Ma. But the very annoying thing was when I tried to talk or point at different variants I was ignored as he spoke to another employee who was just as clueless.

Martlett , you know what ? I am finding that if I have to talk to the help anywhere it's a bad thing.

it's the HomeDepot-izing of American retail : No one knows anything. "Put what I want on the shelf and don't talk to me" gets my dollar nowadays.

I did walk out of there in disgust on a crowded Saturday while price comparing Bushmasters vs. FSG's prices. The people behind the counter tried to tell me I can't have a flat top AR in Ma. But the very annoying thing was when I tried to talk or point at different variants I was ignored as he spoke to another employee who was just as clueless.

Yeah. Most big stores bother me. I didn't care so much that he thought I was wrong, it was that he spoke to me like he couldn't believe an idiot like me would ask such a stupid question. Then, when shown he was wrong, he kept the attitude.

I'd much rather go to Four Seasons, where they'll order almost anything you need. At least there Carl and the gang will give you their undivided attention and treat you as though God himself has graced the shop with His presence. All that AND I usually save a buck or two.

It's a LOT like a strip joint. You can look, but ya can't touch 'em or take 'em home to play with......

youre goin to the wrong clubs then my friend [wink]

its true though about pistols...when you go in there and show a MA ID they kinda laugh at you and im sure are saying to themselves "dont waste my time you cant buy it anyways"

however my cousin is a NH resident and has gotten some really incredible deals on handguns and long guns from there

I guess like anything else it depends on who's behind the counter. I was talking to one guy about the Glocks at KTP. He knew I was from MA because I told him. I asked if I could check it out he said sure! When I asked if he wanted to see my me license he laughed and said in ME that wasn't necessary. We joked about how evil these guns are and that's why they weren't allowed in MA. I checked out the HKs as well- didn't like them and they let me dry fire them with a dummy round.

I bought my son's bow and other equipment there as well.. they spent a ton of time setting it up for us.

Prices aren't the best on some things but I have no issue with the help.

Honestly- I've had some crappy treatment from some of the highly recommended places in MA too. Depends who you get. Yeah, Carl is a great guy and I have nothing but praise for him... but sometimes his help isn't great.

I go at least twice a year. I can often trick the wife into going to the candy shop (Yummies) and a few other places up there and stop in the KTP.
Wouldn't it be enough for her to browse that nice womens' department conveniently located at the bottom of the stairs below the gun department? [smile] That's where I am when Greg and I go up there! He looks but doesn't buy much as their prices have gone through the roof. They do have a nice selection of clothes, though.... Then across the street to the Weathervane for a lobsta roll!

Yeah. Most big stores bother me. I didn't care so much that he thought I was wrong, it was that he spoke to me like he couldn't believe an idiot like me would ask such a stupid question. Then, when shown he was wrong, he kept the attitude.
Did you let him know you were from MA? They all whip out a great big 'tude if they catch wind of that. Annoying as hell. [thinking]

I wasn't buying so I can't talk about that part of it but I did ask a guy behind the counter if they would place a C&R on file. He said "C&R? I don't know but we file FFL's. I said FFL03?, and he said yup but that I needed to check with that kid over there. (pointing at another counter). The kid knew exactly what I was talking about. He looked to be about 21.

editted to add:

The only 'milsurp' I saw there was an 1898 Springfield Krag for $2800 !!!!!!!! Around here, you're lucky if you can get $1k for them.

Last edited:
I wasn't buying so I can't talk about that part of it but I did ask a guy behind the counter if they would place a C&R on file. He said "C&R? I don't know but we file FFL's. I said FFL03?, and he said yup but that I needed to check with that kid over there. (pointing at another counter). The kid knew exactly what I was talking about. He looked to be about 21.

editted to add:

The only 'milsurp' I saw there was an 1898 Springfield Krag for $2800 !!!!!!!! Around here, you're lucky if you can get $1k for them.

They used to have a real large selection of very reasonably priced used guns....not anymore. I feel like I'm walking into a new car dealership when I look at the prices on some of the guns in there. STICKER SHOCK!!!!

I'm not a furniture buyer, I like function over fashion and the uglier a gun is, the more it appeals to me. They can keep all their expensive, pretty, blued, polished walnut stocked "furniture" guns until the cows come home. I want parkerized synthetic stocked types. Why would anyone take an expensive polished piece out into the woods in the rain, snow, mud and dirt? It would be going four wheeling in a new Lincoln Continental limousine.

pilgrim they have a small section on the floor dedicated to all milsurps on the racks...its the end of the 2nd or 3rd aisle i believe

and if you go to the far wall on the left where all the ar's are they also have milsurps mixed in on the floor and up top in racks there...usually a good about of garands over there

Back
Top Bottom