• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone else feel 'bad' after shooting something?

GM-GUY

NES Member
No, I don't feel terrible, just 'bad' and that is probably too strong a word.

I just shot a Porcupine in my yard (one of the three that were out there) - the only one that provided a safe and reasonable shot.

They are killing my trees (stripping bark) and now have just started trashing my Hemlock mulch (I put down 6 yards of the stuff by hand) - so there are just too many or no shy around the house anymore.

So, I don't like shooting anything (but paper), however, when I start having damage, it's time to do some culling. I just wish they weren't damaging things to the point I have to take action. The neighbors have dogs and they would prefer the porcupines gone - I just feel bad doing it.

Know what I mean?

If it is quick, who cares. There's too many evidently and the dogs will thank you.
Snoke the rest and it gets easier to do without the guilt.

Just one of those things about me - I don't 'like' killing anything. Although I have hunted since I was 12 and lived on a farm and had to shoot more than my share of sick/injured animals. I even went to Quebec and got two Caribou - even felt 'bad' about that - even though the biggest is on the wall here.

You are right - every quill I save a dog is a good thing.

I think a healthy respect for life is a good thing and a slight pang of guilt/regret/whatever isn't bad, and isn't out of the ordinary. It shouldn't stop you from doing what you need to do, but I think it's "normal" for many to feel that way. I know I am planning on hunting this year for the first time, and I know I will feel the same way if I am fortunate enough to harvest an animal. Won't stop me from taking the shot if it's good, though.

I'd say it would be more of a problem to not feel anything when you take the life of something.

I had a gopher tearing up my yard last year, posted on here about it and how I did not want to kill it. I tried traps and stuff to repel it but in the end I shot the bugger. I felt bad about it but it was wrecking my foundation and septic field. I can say now that I didnt enjoy it but I am glad it is gone.

Yep. Same here. I popped a family of 4 mice that was living in my BBQ grill that was stored outside. If I let them go, I knew they would find a way into the house. Momma and 3 kids each took multiple shots with a pellet gun. Felt guilty but it was a quick death for them.

I had a gopher tearing up my yard last year, posted on here about it and how I did not want to kill it. I tried traps and stuff to repel it but in the end I shot the bugger. I felt bad about it but it was wrecking my foundation and septic field. I can say now that I didnt enjoy it but I am glad it is gone.
I've trapped several of those in my big Havahart and relocated them to an area where they have water and eats. Jack.

The first time I shot a small bird with a BB gun out my bedroom window (think I was 10-12 ish). It was sitting there and I took him. Felt like crap for a few days. Later I adopted a policy that it HAD to be moving. Took a few squirrels later in life that way. But was never cool with it. I don't hunt, but if I need to kill an (say a pest type) animal, I will... But not for sport...

Feeling bad is the reason I was allowed to go hunting with my grandfather when I was a little girl once, and only once...LOL

Last edited:
I was plinking w/ my bb gun one day in the backyard. I saw a chipmunk running along a branch, and first instinct was to shoot it. I half figured I'd miss, but to my surprise I hit the little guy dead on. He fell right off the branch to his death. Still to this day, I feel bad about it.

FYI, in MA it is illegal to relocate game.

Between the options of shooting something on my property, or relocating it - I'll choose relocating it. I haven't checked my town's laws, but I'm pretty sure I'd be swimming in deep poop if I was to discharge a firearm in my property... it's MA after all.

Since there more options, I'd call animal control and let them deal with it.

I do not fell bad. It is the cycle of life and I respect that. I say thank you in my way for any animal I put on the table. I feel bad when I see stupid people who wound animals instead of harvesting them responsibly.

I work with problem animals and have to put down animals a lot. You do get to a point where its easyier then when you started, but I never get pleasure from doing it. When I harvest a deer I get excited and a sense of acomplishment, but I respect the animal still and its sacrifice for me and my family.

When I harvest a deer I get excited and a sense of accomplishment, but I respect the animal still and its sacrifice for me and my family.

This. And, it was each deer's time. I'm sad for a minute and then thoughts of venison steaks on the barbecue quickly cheer me up. [wink]

I also rationalize it as part of the circle of life.

I'm not a hunter, but I've dropped many a lobster into a boiling pot of water. I hate that part.

I must confess, however, that I love the end result, especially soaked in butter.

A conscious is a good thing.

That's the difference between a hunter and a killer. Jack.

Yup. I always feel bad, be it a lobster, a crab, cockles, rabbits, mice. Hell... mice... I can catch them by hand but can't end em. It's different with a gun, but it's a sad event. I only kill to eat, and I think that's a way to actually respect the animal you killed.

I'm not a hunter, but I've dropped many a lobster into a boiling pot of water. I hate that part.
When making traditional Bouillabaisse, you stick a knife in their brain to kill them, then split them down the middle before cooking. Not one of my favorite activities. I'd rather just dump them headfirst into boiling water.

Back
Top Bottom