• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone buy a barrel from 1911builders.com??

Golddiggie

NES Member
I'm thinking of getting a replacement barrel for my para p14-45 from these guys (1911builders.com) since it's one of the few places to actually offer replacement barrels for the pistol. Before I do, though, I'm hoping that someone here has purchased a barrel from them and can speak out about the quality of it. I'm looking to know how good the rifling is (since the one I'm going to replace is pitiful) as well as general quality and how many rounds has been passed through it.

For a bit o background... I've sent about 6,000 rounds through the pipe of my para p14-45. I don't recall how deep the rifling was when I bought it (mid-90's) but now it almost looks like a smoothbore. Ok, maybe not THAT bad, but it's really light now. Especially when I compare it to the rifling in my DE1911C pistol (less than 500 rounds through it). Most of the rounds I sent through the para barrel where slow moving (255gr) plated projectiles, so nothing horrible.

Has the pistol lost any of it's accuracy? Find it hard to believe that the barrel is worn out at 5k rounds. I'd check some other 1911 barrels on how distinct the rifling is.

I also would agree with highlander that it would be hard to believe that the barrel is worn out, although it is a Para. Are these replacement barrels a drop in fit barrel or a semi fit or hard fit barrel?
If you have never fit a 1911 barrel I would not attempt it. If the barrel is a drop in fit you may lose accuracy. If the current gun has not changed accuracy then why do you want to fix something that is not broken. Also many 1911 barrels have rifling's that looks smooth, how ever they are perfectly OK.

At 6K I wouldn't worry about it if its still accurate and velocity hasn't dropped significantly. At 50K my 38 super loaded hot started to slow down, accuracy was still there, went from a .355 to a .356 bullet to get the speed back up

I also would agree with highlander that it would be hard to believe that the barrel is worn out, although it is a Para. Are these replacement barrels a drop in fit barrel or a semi fit or hard fit barrel?
If you have never fit a 1911 barrel I would not attempt it. If the barrel is a drop in fit you may lose accuracy. If the current gun has not changed accuracy then why do you want to fix something that is not broken. Also many 1911 barrels have rifling's that looks smooth, how ever they are perfectly OK.
I was thinking that the rifling in most 1911s looked almost nonexistent at least on the ones I own and possibly the 625s that I have as well.

A new bbl install needs to be done right for best accuracy. When I did my Colt 1911, I used a new match bushing, turned all but the first half inch down .005, welded and fitted the barrel hood, used a longer link, polished the feed ramp. Tight lock-up is the key. Jack.

Wow, I JUST wanted to know if anyone has bought from the vendor. NOT a bunch chiming in about weather or not I need to do this. Since when has 'need' ever been a factor for people here? As I had already mentioned, the rifling in the barrel is crazy light. Especially when compared with the barrel in the DE1911C that I got last year. Other people have seen the para barrel and have also commented about it's barely there rifling.

If you don't have something to say about the vendor, then I'd rather have nothing posted. Keep it up and I'll request the thread get locked.

If you don't have something to say about the vendor, then I'd rather have nothing posted. Keep it up and I'll request the thread get locked.

Well then I guess I'll put my camera away. I was under the impression that any information was good informaton but I guess not with that douche reply...

Powerblast the sand from your vaj, then thank everybody for their opinion. Look man, it's a para. The new barrel is worth more that the pistol.

And as Supermoto said, they are in Cali.

whoa, take it easy. folks just being helpful. :) and yeah, you may have an issue, my early 90's p14's barrel looks crisp still. my records show a 16,050 round count. know nothing of the company you ask of.
Look man, it's a para. The new barrel is worth more that the pistol.
you whoa also, mr. fixxah! [laugh] proud, original owner of three 1991-92 vintage para's here. no runs, drips or errors. there was a time i was the envy of the local ipsc circuit shooting a born in '94 16+1 .40 when pretty much the only options for a double stack to make major was a para or drop serious dough to have one built.

Wow, I JUST wanted to know if anyone has bought from the vendor. NOT a bunch chiming in about weather or not I need to do this. Since when has 'need' ever been a factor for people here? As I had already mentioned, the rifling in the barrel is crazy light. Especially when compared with the barrel in the DE1911C that I got last year. Other people have seen the para barrel and have also commented about it's barely there rifling.

Thanks for the heads up that you are an ungrateful SOB. [laugh]

As a result, I deleted my post with comments and photo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom