• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone been to MFL lately?

It will be busy. Usually on weekends it is. I wait and go around 5-6 and no wait. I was shooting my AK and guy told me I couldn't use Brown Bear because it sticks to a Magnet..LOL..I was like it's an AK not an AR, Jim say's it's ok. he had to go check. That's the 3rd time I got stopped. I actually have a great time there and will always go as Jim is good people

Last edited:
I was there today and waited 15-20 minutes because they were using the members side for a class.

It will be busy. Usually on weekends it is.

I disagree, at least not until it gets cold. Once the temps dip below mid 40s avg then its a whole different ballgame. Then people start coming in who usually shoot outside. By Thanksgiving time it will probably be full retard busy. I would still advise folks going "off the street" (non members) that your best bet is to get there in the AM just in case.

Once its cold it's pretty much "good luck with that" on the weekends if you don't have a membership and don't call in advance.

-Mike

It will be busy. Usually on weekends it is. I wait and go around 5-6 and no wait. I was shooting my AK and guy told me I couldn't use Brown Bear because it sticks to a Magnet..LOL..I was like it's an AK not an AR, Jim say's it's ok. he had to go check. That's the 3rd time I got stopped. I actually have a great time there and will always go as Jim is good people

i believe the answer is yes, but I can shoot my Mosin there, right?

I was there today and waited 15-20 minutes because they were using the members side for a class.

that's not too bad. that place is crazy expensive, though. $20/pp for range time alone?! i was in SC this summer and stopped by PSA, paid $20/mag to shoot a MP5. no fees for eyes/ears, targets, rentals, range...just ammo.

i believe the answer is yes, but I can shoot my Mosin there, right?
You can only if your ammo passes the magnet sniff test, which isn't likely. Most of the 54R milsurp doesn't. I think Privi commercial will. I think Collectible sells stuff like that. They tend to be nutty about that, anything with a magnetic jacket or semi steel cored, etc. I wouldn't bother lugging it up there unless you know your ammo will pass.

that's not too bad. that place is crazy expensive, though. $20/pp for range time alone?! i was in SC this summer and stopped by PSA, paid $20/mag to shoot a MP5. no fees for eyes/ears, targets, rentals, range...just ammo.

MFL is like $16/hr (typically rounded down to the nearest half hour) for unwashed, I think, and $9/hr for those with a membership. If you go often enough the membership pays for itself. You also get discounts on rentals, as well. (like 25% off or something, I forget. I rarely rent so I don't remember. ) Be aware that the memberships are capped; if you try to get one in the middle of January that probably is not going to happen, on the other hand you'll probably have good luck getting one up until the point where it gets cold, LOL.

-Mike

http://gunsnh.com/pricelists.php

Range Time (per person)Non-MemberMember
1st Hour$16.00$9.00
Every 1/2 hour after$8.00$4.50

Targets are reasonably priced, ammo is expensive. If you rent, you have to use their ammo.

They've become ammo haters and anything that sticks to a magnet is prohibited.

My trip today was $17.70 1 hour, 2 targets, 200 rounds of 22, and like 60 rounds of 223.

You can only if your ammo passes the magnet sniff test, which isn't likely. Most of the 54R milsurp doesn't. I think Privi commercial will. I think Collectible sells stuff like that. They tend to be nutty about that, anything with a magnetic jacket or semi steel cored, etc. I wouldn't bother lugging it up there unless you know your ammo will pass.

good call. leaving it home.

MFL is like $16/hr (typically rounded down to the nearest half hour) for unwashed, I think, and $9/hr for those with a membership. If you go often enough the membership pays for itself. You also get discounts on rentals, as well. (like 25% off or something, I forget. I rarely rent so I don't remember. ) Be aware that the memberships are capped; if you try to get one in the middle of January that probably is not going to happen, on the other hand you'll probably have good luck getting one up until the point where it gets cold, LOL.

-Mike

do you know if the Gay St. range is open for shotguns yet?

http://gunsnh.com/pricelists.php

Range Time (per person)Non-MemberMember
1st Hour$16.00$9.00
Every 1/2 hour after$8.00$4.50

Targets are reasonably priced, ammo is expensive. If you rent, you have to use their ammo.

They've become ammo haters and anything that sticks to a magnet is prohibited.

My trip today was $17.70 1 hour, 2 targets, 200 rounds of 22, and like 60 rounds of 223.

the only time i was there I rented a .45 and a CX4 and it ended up costing almost $200 for me and my buddy...oof.

the only time i was there I rented a .45 and a CX4 and it ended up costing almost $200 for me and my buddy...oof.

That's nothing, Long time ago I watched a handful of guys go in there and rent the M60 and some belts of ammo and I think they were over $700. [laugh] They sure had a good time though.

-Mike

what's with ammo being magnetic? does that matter or is it just a way for them to get you to buy their pricey ammo?

- - - Updated - - -

That's nothing, Long time ago I watched a handful of guys go in there and rent the M60 and some belts of ammo and I think they were over $700. [laugh] They sure had a good time though.

-Mike

belt fed, ftw.

what's with ammo being magnetic? does that matter or is it just a way for them to get you to buy their pricey ammo?

I don't think they sell 7.62 x 54R there so I don't think it's a profit thing. I think at some point or another damage started happening to the backstop and then a decision got made to clamp down on the types of ammo allowed.

-Mike

As far as I know Gay st. is not open at all. It's still under renovation, at least last time I talked to Jim about it.

-Mike

I stopped asking Jim about Gay St. a year ago, you could tell by the frustration in his voice and the facial expression that it is a real sore point. Contractors and problems seem to be holding it up forever.

"Magnetic" ammo, is steel core or jacketed with steel. Most ranges do not allow this type of ammo due to the potential for damage should a round go off range. The thought is that it's also more prone to do so in a ricochet or carom event. It fails to deform and therefore maintains it's kinetic energy longer, unlike a copper jacketed round which will deform upon striking anything and therefore lose energy and range.

That's fairly recent as this past winter I whaled away with my AK and steel jacket ammo many times and no issues.

That's fairly recent as this past winter I whaled away with my AK and steel jacket ammo many times and no issues.
same here as 99% of people who shoot 7.62x39 at a range shoots steel. and No it's not steel core, Been there done that . thin steel jacket with a copper wash over that. Jim say's You can use steel only with 7.62x39 as it's slower than steel AR 223 ammo, so if you think your going to shoot Tula out of your AR don't bother. I just hate that workers there aren't on the same page on AK ammo. I walked in and a nice welcoming guy at the front say's I need to see what ammo your using, No problem after I showed him Brown Bear 7.62 then Brass 223, 1st few rounds I got stopped and he took my round to check it, came back and said nope. I just said you can use it and who shoots brass 7.62? I was told by Jim himself it's ok. But no to tula 223 ...I go there every other week and want to just shoot without being stopped.I understand they need to atleast check but if you cant figure out with a simple look behind me that my open bag has brown bear and Golden tiger and I'm shooting an AK then well.....

Last edited:
Most of the Russki ammo is steel jacket under very thin copper plate. The bullet (not just the case) will attract a magnet.

Back
Top Bottom