Anybody here reload .500 S&W Mag?

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I reload the .500 S&W and save tons of cash doing it. With factory loads averaging about $1.50 per round, I was able to recently load up 500 plinking loads for my .500 as follows:

500 - 335gr Rainier bullets (on sale from Midway) - $65
1 pound of Titegroup - $22
500 Large Rifle primers - $11
Once fired brass - FREE

Total for 500 rounds - $98 or about $.20 per round. When I'm done shooting these, I'll have saved over $650 compared to factory ammo.

These are the loads that I use:

Plinking ammo - 14 grains of Titegroup with a 335gr Rainier Plated bullet.

"Nuclear" hunting loads - 385 GR. REM HP with 42.5 grains of H110

12 Ga slug duplication load* - 440 gr LGC bullet with 17 grains of Titegroup

* this load mirrors the performance of a 12 ga slug - an ounce of lead at about 1300 fps. It is slightly over maximum so don't try it at home.

Does anybody else here load the .500? If so, what are your favorite loads?

Last edited:
12 Ga slug duplication load* - 440 gr LGC bullet with 17 grains of Titegroup

* this load mirrors the performance of a 12 ga slug - an ounce of lead at about 1300 fps. It is slightly over maximum so don't try it at home.
Given how much my 6 lb shotgun hurts when shooting slugs, I'm not likely to try it at the range either!

Given how much my 6 lb shotgun hurts when shooting slugs, I'm not likely to try it at the range either!

Yeah, it's nasty. I'm no wimp but this load caused me to buy a pair of recoil gloves. Without them, the trigger guard cuts your fingers, and the back of the grip tears up the web between your thumb and forefinger. Once you get blood on the grip, the gun gets too slippery to hold.

I must say though that a box of these loads will cure any flinch (either that or make it permanent).

Last edited:
I saw the title before I saw the poster and said to myself another new guy. I bet Jim has a few pet loads he could add to this now. Wait till the 700 gr molds arrive from Miha.

I recently tried a 440 gr gc with Trailboss and 5744. 10 and 11 grs of Trailboss gave 750 to 800 fps. 30 grs of 5744 gave about 1175 fps and was more accurate. I have some loaded with 1680 but haven't shot them yet.

Wow. None of the loads in the OP are my favorite loads anymore. I've been using H110 for full power loads, IMR4227 for mid-range loads, and Trailboss for the SpongeBob loads.

NO WAY!!! E/C using Sponge Bob loads??? My whole vision of the Jedi master .500 shooter are smashed!!! [laugh]

I've been using Lil Gun, 296 and Trail Boss.

Like E/C, I'm always happy to allow other to shoot my gun. Reloading for it sure makes it cheap.

Just got my mold from Mihec for the 460 grain HP, and the 700 grain mold has been shipped (although it will take five weeks to get here).

I'm still contemplating E/C shooting TrailBoss loads........ Say it isn't so.........

What weight bullets can I use with Lil gun? I have mostly loaded 350 grain ones in the past. Is LG only for heavier cast bullets?

Go here and have a look:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

You can use Lil' Gun for both cast and jacketed bullets from 275 to 500 grains.

Don't expect any light loads though because even the minimums are pretty stout.

" NO WAY!!! E/C using Sponge Bob loads??? My whole vision of the Jedi master .500 shooter are smashed!!! "

He didn't say he was shooting them, he likes others to have a chance with the 500 and not go away scared or pop themselves in the forehead. I still load clad bullets with Titegroup, there are many more loads in a lb.

It's like a Hello Kitty AR, except in hand held model.

sponge500.jpg

What dies do you guys use for the 500?

(Edit: I'll mostly be shooting cast lead and loading on a single stage.)

Yeah, carbide sizer and the seater with the crimp backed off. The Lyman M die is very good for loading cast bullets.

Even with the RCBS carbide sizing die that I use, I still lube the cases because there's so damn much surface area, and friction makes for hard resizing if I don't lube.

I seat bullets and crimp in two different stations. I use RCBS roll crimp for cast bullets (99% of what I do is cast for the .500 magnum) and Lyman taper crimp die for jacketed.

I have made a bunch of bullet seating inserts to handle the myriad of bullet types that I seat for the .500 magnum. For example, I found that the standard curved surface (convex) of a bullet seating die didn't work well with the 700 grain flat nose bullets. So, I made a custom flat faced seating surface. And, the pointy bullets that most of us like so much. . . . Had to also make a custom seating insert for that one also. Gotta keep those points nice and sharp.

I've been using H110 for full power loads....

H110 and Lil-Gun have similar burn rates but Lil-Gun seems to be more popular with 500 shooters (at least according to the loads I've come across on teh interwebz.) Just out of curiosity - what made you go with H110?

H110 and Lil-Gun have similar burn rates but Lil-Gun seems to be more popular with 500 shooters (at least according to the loads I've come across on teh interwebz.) Just out of curiosity - what made you go with H110?

I had a bunch of it on hand. I use Lil' Gun as well.

I'll bring this one back from the dead. Just started reloading 500. So far, I've been using:

350 gr Berrys plated bullet
39-40 gr IMR 4227
CCI Large Rifle primer
Using the Lyman M expander, then doing a light crimp with the Redding Profile die and then finishing with a taper from the Hornady die. The bullets don't seem to be moving in the cylinder, so I'm happy. I've found a couple of granules of powder unburnt in the cases, but overall, the load seems to be pretty clean.

I went with the 4227 powder after I saw people complaining about forcing cone erosion and flame cutting with Lil Gun.

I'm going to try to pick up some VihtaVouri N110 to see how that performs.

I'm trying to find some spire point lead bullets to load over some Unique powder as plinking ammo.

Ii said to a wise man once that there seemed to be a lot of unburned powder, at which point he piled it up and flicked a Bic. Nothing. Just burned powder residue.

I think a heavy roll crimp is the norm but best of luck.

I tried a heavier roll crimp, but the cases were deforming and bending in half. When I backed off the roll crimp die enough to not damage the cases, I ended up getting a squib.

I have to try these at some longer distances, but at 15 yards, I manged to put three shots touching once I stopped flinching.

I tried a heavier roll crimp, but the cases were deforming and bending in half. When I backed off the roll crimp die enough to not damage the cases, I ended up getting a squib.

I have to try these at some longer distances, but at 15 yards, I manged to put three shots touching once I stopped flinching.

Why would a light crimp cause a squib?

I'll bring this one back from the dead. Just started reloading 500. So far, I've been using:

350 gr Berrys plated bullet
39-40 gr IMR 4227
CCI Large Rifle primer
Using the Lyman M expander, then doing a light crimp with the Redding Profile die and then finishing with a taper from the Hornady die. The bullets don't seem to be moving in the cylinder, so I'm happy. I've found a couple of granules of powder unburnt in the cases, but overall, the load seems to be pretty clean.

I went with the 4227 powder after I saw people complaining about forcing cone erosion and flame cutting with Lil Gun.

I had terrible luck with the Berrys bullets and full-power .500 loads. Unless they've changed the design, the cannelure is way too low on the bullet, and not enough of it goes in the case to provide sufficient 'hold'. Even though it has a cannelure, you can't correct the problem with the crimp because a strong roll crimp will cut through the plating. I ended up using them for light loads with quicker powders. With slow powders, the velocity was very inconsistent.

Also, 4227 will erode the forcing cone.

I think a heavy roll crimp is the norm but best of luck.

That can be trouble with a plated bullet.

Why would a light crimp cause a squib?

Because the slow pistol powders need the bullet to stay put for a while after primer ignition in order to get a full burn. Too little powder or too light a crimp can cause squibs in the .500 with powders like 4227, H110/W296, and Lil' Gun.

Back
Top Bottom