Any recommendations for a brand/type of pepper spray to buy?

Don't get one that goes on your keychain!!!...lol I can't even count how many times I handed over mace to the supermarket checker for the shaws discount...not smart, i dont do it anymore obviously. Anything around 10% OC should do the trick.

I have a Spitfire that is supposed to hang on a key chain, and be easy to pop off if needed be. I've had to glue the case back together twice even though I took it off the key chain after the first breakage. I would not recommend it.

There's three basic types:

-spray
-stream
-foam

Spray gives a diffuse cloud of droplets. Advantage: don't have to aim carefully -- spray as you are backing up and the perp will walk into a cloud of it as he approaches you. Disadvantage: reduced range and won't work well on a windy day.

Stream produces a thin stream. Advantage: longer range, works better on a windy day. Disadvantage: You have to aim it.

Foam produces a thin stream that foams up. Advantage: same as stream. Additionally, the foam is sticky. Disadvantage: same as stream. Also, the perp can scoop the foam off his face and fling it at you.

I prefer spray first, then stream. I'm not a big fan of foam. YMMV.

I have a Kimber guardian angel unit - two high velocity shots with a 15 foot effective range. Uses a gel form of OC. Never had to use it so no idea how it works.

Also have a spitfire on the nightstand and a classic Mace clipped to my computer.

I've used the spitfire on myself...long story short, it sucks really bad. It works though, I was puking in like four seconds and crying huddled in the corner (ok maybe not that).

Hi Guys -

Is there a particular brand or type of pepper spray that is better than all the others?

Thanks,
Colt, Smith&Wesson, Springfield Armory, Kimber, SVI and others make a great one - the 1911 automatic pistol. It has about a 50 yard effective range and is reliable as all get out. Pretty easy to operate too.

[smile]

Colt, Smith&Wesson, Springfield Armory, Kimber, SVI and others make a great one - the 1911 automatic pistol. It has about a 50 yard effective range and is reliable as all get out. Pretty easy to operate too.

[smile]

+1 Fast effective delivery of pepper aka lead. [grin]

Spitfire

I have a canister of the spitfire...

I set it off in my pocket once. I was at a restaurant, and the little nub on the end caught the table as I was sitting down and pushed it up and in.

It made a little PSSSSSS! Sound. The folks at my table noticed the sound but didn't know what it was. I knew.

Fortunately, the spray was contained within my pocket. A patch of skin on my leg burned for a few days. [shocked]

I'm in the market for a canister of pepper spray that is a bit harder to set off by accident as I am a bit hesitant to carry it now. [jihad]

The spitfire is tough too. I sent mine through the washer and dryer - was worried that it wasn't going to work. tested it away from myself with no draft or wind, and still caught part of it. That was an interesting morning.

What's funny is that all these guys use plain water to ease the pain. They need to put soap in the water to break down the oil that's added to the spray....

LOL funny stuff.

Alot of people recommend Fox Labs. I also know alot of security and LE that use Red Sabre. There's a company called Vexor that supposedly makes some rediculous OC but good luck trying to get it imported into MA. You NH guys should be able to get it though.

Get the "Guardian" unit sold by Kimber. I saw the tests and it is awesome, but not the smallest unit out there

I have one. I broke the safety off thumbing the trigger too much (but it doesn't matter). It is a little bigger than most personal OC units, but it slips nicely into any pocket and fits well in my medium sized hands.

I personally prefer the the Fox and Sabre formulations in the stream type.
Just a few highlights:

1)OC%-The higher % does not indicate a stronger formulation. It indicates a higher OC formulation which has longer laster effects.

If you want hotter OC, check the SHU (Scovill Heating Unit) number.

17% is no more effective than 2% if the SHU number are the same.

2)Type-Spray or Cone type: Usually faster acting. Less range and subject to wind. Also greater dispersal indoors. It can affect more than just the suspect.

Stream-A little longer to affect the suspect. More range. Has to be aimed. With the stream, you can be sure you hit the perp in the face.

Foam-Takes the longest to act. Yes, they could possibly fling it at you, but, if you hit them in the face and eyes, they will not be able to do this. You have a better chance of exposure to yourself if you have to go hand to hand after spraying someone.

All sprays have to "drop" or come out of their propellant carrier to become effective. Thus, some types take a little longer to become effective.

3)Expiration Date-Yes, all sprays should have one. The OC will not lose it's potency over time, but the propellant will.

It is smart to give you cannister a test spray every 6 months or so.
Also, give it a good hearty shaking before carrying or deployment.

If you live in a State that allows civilians to use Taser-type devices, and you chose to carry one, make sure your spray is compatible with EID (Electronic Incapacitation Devices).

An alcohol based propellant and a Taser can lead to devastating results.

Back
Top Bottom