Any recommendations for a brand/type of pepper spray to buy?

Most people don't, but consider the propellant. Depending on how it works, some cans can't be turned upside down and sprayed, so even if you're rolling around with someone, you have to hold the can upright. I like Sabre Red 10% with the cone pattern, it uses a dual propellant system so it can be still be sprayed with the can upside down. They make it in stream with the DPS as well.

Also, the Capsaicinoids. Again, something next to no one hears about. Google it, or if you're lazy, check out http://www.homesteadcollective.org/mpg/science/majorcap.shtml

Suffice to say the capsaicinoids affect how truly hot something is. For example, First Defense Pepper 10 is 10% OC, 0.17% major capsaicinoids. Sabre Red is 10% OC, but 1.33% major capsaicinoids. The science of a pepper.

I think much of it is like caliber wars. Any quality brand you spray in their face will be something they didn't have in their face before. Hit your target, use quality stuff, and spray anyone who so much as blinks at you sideways. [smile]

That's a riot - I could spend all day looking at pepper spray videos - This one made me laugh out loud (why someone would want to test it on themselves) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYY4A9tAZLQ&feature=related

Thanks for all of the information!!

A self test under controlled conditions will enable you to feel and react to the chemical. When you use it in self-defense, there's a possibility that you may come in contact with the chemical either through wind blow back or body contact. You might like to predict how you will react if such an event happens.
Best Regards.

I was at Sports Authority the other day and saw some pepper spray on sale behind a deserted counter wwwaaayyy in the back. It is Pepper Defense 10%. The date is for about 1 year from now so I'm assuming that is why it is was on sale.

Anyway, I get it and go to pay. I fully expected to be asked for my LTC but was surprised when that did not happen. I thought you need an FID or LTC to carry pepper spray in MA?

I'm clueless on Pepper Spray. Thought maybe it was the 10% and anyone could purchase it. After reading this thread though I'm assuming they just screwed up.

Back
Top Bottom