Any one have any insight on removing the front sight/gas block on an M&P Sport?

i'll apologize now since this has probably been posted many many times before, but im a newbie to the AR platforms. And all the other posts ive found were on removing the block from the ORC platform and im not sure if its same or not.

Any one have any insight on removing the front sight/gas block on an M&P Sport?

How about don't do it?

Kidding--sort of. Welcome to the forum. Seriously though, why are you removing the gas block? I'm not sure about the M&P but a lot of manuf. use tapered pins and they can take some serious hammering to remove, esp. when new.

The better Manuf. drill the gas hole through the block and into the barrel for perfect alignment. Fiddling with that alignment is potentially heading in the direction of trying to fix something that's not broken.

EDIT: That gas block is not coming off without a fight. Apparently it is "held in place by a single soldered in pin"

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/...e-rifle-upgrades-26264/index2.html#post282784

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with M&P's but I can share some information on how I removed the FSB from the BCM I had. My BCM had a FSC556 muzzle brake which was permanently pinned on. In order to remove the FSB, I had to either destroy the muzzle brake or consider dremeling it off.

Since the brake was somewhat expensive, I decided to dremel the FSB off. I went to Amazon.com and bought the corded Dremel (model 4000?) along with a light duty table vice. It took me probably 20 minutes to carefully cut off enough metal so I could lightly hammer one side of the FSB off. It took another 15 minutes or so to dremel the other side off.

I could have taken this task to a gun smith, but I figured I would just do it myself and gain some experience out of it.

I hope this helps a little. Let me know if you have any questions.

i dont need the front iron sight since i mounted a scope but mainly i have alrady bought a quad rail replacement gas block so i can add some other stuff eventually.

hmmm... so you have the sport and not the ORC? I guess I misread your post. How about the muzzle, does it have a permanently attached brake? If you're in Mass you're required to have it pinned or soldered, which means you probably can't slide the front sight housing off without removing it. That's going to be a problem.

Post a picture of the rifle and you'll get better advice.

hmmm... so you have the sport and not the ORC? I guess I misread your post. How about the muzzle, does it have a permanently attached brake? If you're in Mass you're required to have it pinned or soldered, which means you probably can't slide the front sight housing off without removing it. That's going to be a problem.

Post a picture of the rifle and you'll get better advice.

The Sport has no brake/comp.

I would like to know more about removing the front sight/gas block as well since I plan on buying a M&P sport and making it into a dissipator by installing a low profile gas block and rifle length hand guard. Hope this wont foil my plans :/

I would like to know more about removing the front sight/gas block as well since I plan on buying a M&P sport and making it into a dissipator by installing a low profile gas block and rifle length hand guard. Hope this wont foil my plans :/

That's going to be way more effort than just buying a Bushmaster. You'll need to drill new holes for the FSB through the barrel.

If you just stare at it long enough it may just jump off and go screaming into the night. I suppose you chance warping the barrel that way.

Back
Top Bottom