• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any kayak fisherman on here

Sell me on kayak fishing, guys. What are the advantages over a canoe?

I'm just getting back into open water fishing after going years without wetting a line. I have two canoes that I use (one with a keel and one without for moving water) and they seem to get the job done pretty well and I can load either one on top of my tiny city cars. Although kayaks tend to be slightly smaller, it doesn't seem like there is much difference and I like the fact that i can load my canoes with two people and a weekend worth of gear.

But, I'm easily convinced that there is new equipment I need to buy :) Explain the advantages of the kayaks so I can justify buying one for myself.

Prior to getting my Hobie, I wasn't sure what to say. Now that I have my 2015 Hobie Outback w/ Turbo fins and sailing rudder, I can tell you that I love casually cruising along at 3mph trolling a crank bait with my rod in my hand while my paddle is bungeed to the side. I can use it in any pond/lake and in the ocean. If I kick up the pace I am making a little wake. After the second trip, I was easily standing while fishing. When I start to wind drift, I lean over and "peddle" my Mirage drive with my hands to put me back in my spot. If I need to back up, I just lean over and grab my paddle and back up while standing. I can still cruise through 12" deep water by fluttering the fins. Really happy with my decision.

Cons: It weighs about 80lbs without the Mirage drive, seat, and my gear. Luckily I am sliding it into the bed of my truck and not on top of a car.

Crappy iPhone 4 vid just to see how it would come out. Trying to decide if I should get a GoPro and spend the time editing videos.

Getting in close to the stumps at Whitehall Reservoir:
WhitehallStumps_zpss4ub8ict.jpg

WhitehallBass_zpskjnptlix.jpg

With the full moon, I plan on going night fishing for my first time tomorrow night.

Attachments

• WhitehallStumps.jpg
    WhitehallStumps.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 21
  • WhitehallBass.jpg
    WhitehallBass.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Wilderness Systems is entering the pedal drive and trolling motor segment. Good, the more competition the better...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking to get into kayaking. I'm looking for a sit on top boat that would be good for splitting time between fishing and just cruising around. Mostly fresh water lakes but the occasional trip to the cape.

While a hobie would be nice, I think it's too heavy and pricey for me right now.

Top contenders right now are
WS Tarpon 120
OK Prowler 13
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator
Perception Pescador 120

Any thoughts on those or recommendations for something in that size and price range.

Last edited:
I've been looking to get into kayaking. I'm looking for a sit on top boat that would be good for splitting time between fishing and just cruising around. Mostly fresh water lakes but the occasional trip to the cape.

While a hobie would be nice, I think it's too heavy and pricey for me right now.

WS Tarpon 120
OK Prowler 13
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator
Perception Pescador 120

Any thoughts on those or recommendations for something in that size and price range.

Out of these choices, the predator gets my vote.
I narrowed my choices between the feel free moken, old town predator, jackson big rig, and nucanoe frontier. Jackson big rig won out and I'll never regret it. It is everything I want and need in a fishing kayak.

On a side note, I'm fishing my first kayak tourney Sunday on Furnace Pond in Pembroke.

WS Tarpon 120
OK Prowler 13
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator
Perception Pescador 120

The Old Town Predators are 82lbs & 86lbs, so I wouldn't put them in the good for just cruising around category. They're wide and designed to be a stable fishing platform that will allow you to fish standing.

For what you want to do, I would pick between the OK Prowler 13 and the WS Tarpon 12. They are light enough and narrow enough to pick up some speed and cover some distance. You can easily fish from them sitting down.

Tarpon seat is better than the OK and I think it's a little better quality yak, but you will have to buy some rod holders and drill some holes since it comes with none. The OK Prowler will get you started inexpensively and comes with a couple rod holders.

OK has a great customer service reputation. WS doesn't. NE Backpacker stopped carrying WS because they got tired of dealing with them. See what NE Backpacker has available to rent. $30 a day includes yak/paddle/pfd.

That's my 2 cents

(I'm plan on putting a nice Bending Branches paddle and a used once kayak cart up for sale as soon as I take some pics)

On a side note, I'm fishing my first kayak tourney Sunday on Furnace Pond in Pembroke.

Is that part of the mafishfinder trail? I'm on the neweglandkayakfishing forum and saw a guy post about their tournaments. I was thinking about getting trying some of those out.

Good luck man!

I narrowed my choices between the feel free moken, old town predator, jackson big rig, and nucanoe frontier. Jackson big rig won out and I'll never regret it. It is everything I want and need in a fishing kayak.

Great fishing in furnace, right down the street from me. Bigger bass were preferring chartreuse swimming plugs small crankbaits etc but green was out producing every other color by far a short time ago. Big crappie in there too.

Is that part of the mafishfinder trail? I'm on the neweglandkayakfishing forum and saw a guy post about their tournaments. I was thinking about getting trying some of those out.

Good luck man!
Yes. A buddy told me about it so I had to do it. I don't really go to that forum much.
I have a list of other tourneys if you'd like it. Might only be two more close to me, but might be better for you.

Great fishing in furnace, right down the street from me. Bigger bass were preferring chartreuse swimming plugs small crankbaits etc but green was out producing every other color by far a short time ago. Big crappie in there too.

Didn't have much luck last week. I only fished the left side if looking at it from the lucky dog.
It took a while for the sun to come up over the tree line. Can get a few hrs of shade fishing in before hitting the docks. If I can and not sure yet, I want to launch in the colony. Head to the right and fish that bank all the way up. I lived in pembroke for 10 years, two different houses. Never once fished there. Fished Oldham and the pond behind Olivia's.
Thanks for the tip!!

I'm near the town landing. We got our better fish on the far end from lucky dog , inside on the left theres a nice cove area . A few docks and some structure over there. In on the right there's a dam , if you can get to it fish that area. Big bass were feeding on herring ,we couldn't get them to bite anything else, but they were nice sized.

I had forgotten about feelfree line. I almost bought one of their kayaks for my wife.

OK. So now it's between the feelfree moken 12.5 and the wilderness tarpon 120.

Last edited:
I've had canoe for years and thought I didn't need a kayak. My wife tried kayaking with her friend and had to have one, a few years ago she convinced me I did too. I've had this Native Ultimate !2 for two seasons now and absolutely love it. The canoe is waiting for the grandkid to get a little bigger so I take them fishing. IMG_0304.jpg

I had forgotten about feelfree line. I almost bought one of their kayaks for my wife.

OK. So now it's between the feelfree moken 12.5 and the wilderness tarpon 120.

I believe the Perception Pescador and the West Marine Pompano are both made using the same mold of an older series Tarpon 120. So it's the same boat. The seat might be different, it's been a while since I was looking into it. So, if you wanted to save some bucks, the Perception/Pompano is the same as the (albeit older model) Tarpon 120 which has gotten really good reviews. All 3 boats are well regarded. Amazon had the Perceptions at one point for a steal, $300 or something. Good luck!

I've had canoe for years and thought I didn't need a kayak. My wife tried kayaking with her friend and had to have one, a few years ago she convinced me I did too. I've had this Native Ultimate !2 for two seasons now and absolutely love it. The canoe is waiting for the grandkid to get a little bigger so I take them fishing. View attachment 141574

I've got the same boat. Not the quickest kayak, but comfort and stability? Hard to beat it! Absolutely love it.
e6011ba297cf730d82946c144afc3ab0.jpg

Yet another example of NES causing me to part ways with my money. New Feelfree Moken 12.5 should be here this week.

Yet another example of NES causing me to part ways with my money. New Feelfree Moken 12.5 should be here this week.

Now...to sell some guns to buy an Adventure Island [shocked]

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/reviews/hobie/index.htm

RI Fish Availability
http://www.eregulations.com/rhodeisland/fishing/saltwater/availability-chart/

RI Size & Limits
http://www.eregulations.com/rhodeisland/fishing/saltwater/2015-recreational-regulations/

Common Fish Types
http://www.eregulations.com/rhodeisland/fishing/saltwater/commonly-caught-species/

Last edited:
I was down to the tarpon or the moken. I liked the flat standing area in the cockpit and the storage layout better.

My first time striper fishing from the yak this morning. Schoolies were biting, but no keepers.

2b8d37cd-922f-4182-adaa-9030910abca6_zpsgk19vtzm.jpg
Nice! I'd take that action all day. What were using for bait?

****Never mind, you put up that second picture just as I posted my question. LOL. I got my answer.

Nice! I'd take that action all day. What were using for bait?

****Never mind, you put up that second picture just as I posted my question. LOL. I got my answer.

I know you know what it is, but specifically it's a Hogy 24" SI Perfect tube in red wine with a live sea worm on the hook. Trolling at 2mph and that's all they would hit today.

I know you know what it is, but specifically it's a Hogy 24" SI Perfect tube in red wine with a live sea worm on the hook. Trolling at 2mph and that's all they would hit today.
I have 4 of those, 2 in wine and 2 in day glow. Might be time to throw them in. I've been using jigs. Good workout, but "0" fish. [laugh]

I've got the same boat. Not the quickest kayak, but comfort and stability? Hard to beat it! Absolutely love it.
e6011ba297cf730d82946c144afc3ab0.jpg

Very light weight and very stable and quickness is not a concern of mine. I added some rod holders behind the seat which worked out great. Thinking of adding canvas covers for the front and back which are available from Native.

Just saw this thread. I've been fishing from my kayak the last 6 yrs. Freshwater for the first few, but the past couple years I've fished mostly saltwater. I have a WS Ride 115 for fresh and a Hobie Outback for salt.

Back
Top Bottom