• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any kayak fisherman on here

Hello all.I know we are all into firearms,shooting reloading hunting, carry ing ect,But im sure there many here that are all into fishing.I fish out of a kayak.frs water only,Anyone else enjoy fishing?

I do. I live in Grafton, and we have a few really nice fishing ponds and lakes here in town. When I got back into fishing, I owned a canoe, which was way to unwieldy to get on and off my car by myself, so I bought a cheap sit on top kayak. I love that thing! It fits inside my Honda Element, is really portable, and super stable. It's a terrific fresh water fishing platform! In the warmer months I take it out at least once a week.

Yes -usually Littleville/Dayville in W Ma. Ultralight spinning rod, sometimes fly rods. I'm not real good at lakes & ponds, finding fish in rivers makes more sense to me. The best fishing additions to my kayak have been a rod holder and a small anchor - the wind down the valley gets pretty aggressive.

Last edited:
started out a few yrs ago doing a lot of long distance ocean kayaking but i bunred out my shoulders.
now i have a small wide kayak that i love to freshwater fish out of. i fish a few fresh water ponds local here S.E. MA. early a.m. and an hr or so before sunset. i like using shiners and just drift around smoking a cigar. i use light gear so the BIG bass really pull the kayak around before i wear em out. be careful of the snapping turtles. i have had them lock onto a pickeral's tail a few times while i was working on getting the hook out !!! they are bold and have no fear of humans or paddles....

i have a heritage featherlite angler that is wide with built in rod holders. been serving me well since 2005. i use a small foding anchor i picked up from west marine.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I've been using a 10' Old Town, which is really too small for larger bodies of water. It's easy to toss in the back of the truck though, for "car top only" spots. I'd like to get one of those bigazz Hobie deals someday, the one with the pedal-powered propulsion setup.

I never knew how much fun I was missing until about 7 years ago when I bought my first kayak.I have been fishing since I was a kid. I have fished from bass boats, canoes john boats and of course from the shore.But when I bought my first kayak I was hooked. I sold my first kayak.And bought a Wilderness systems Commander 120 Angler.I can take it in a big lake or small pond or even a river.,Just throw it in my truck bed quick attach a couple tie offs.And away I go, No trailer or boat to register.No motor cost ect.Nothing likea day out on the water.In the spring I fish for trout a bit.Than as the water warms up I will go out for bass .Other times I may bring the ultra light and fish for blue gill or some other speices.Looking forward to spring.

I do a fair amount of striper and flounder fishing from my Ascend kayak. I dont do much fresh water fishing with it. I use it mainly for duck hunting out of in the fall to get to and from my blinds. I also have a sit-on-top Scupper Pro that I use as a diving platform for spearfishing during the summer.

Got rid of the boat and got a kayak, it is so much fun to catch fish in a kayak. Got to love the way a good sized fish pulls you around, no winterizing, no excise taxes, very little or no maintenance.

I do a bit, at my father in laws up on winni. Love it I can get in tight spaces and a little fish feels like a monster. I have a co-worker who fly fishes for stripers with his. Seems like a pretty wild time. I've got a perception sit on, which I really like.

My freshwater Kayak:

DSC_2521.jpg

And here is a video for making a anchor trolly system:

Last edited by a moderator:
Been fishing for years and decided to get a kayak last year. Its been a lot of fun to fish out of. Its great for getting into tight places. Mine is an Ocean Kayak 11' mostly freshwater for now. Can't wait for spring.

I have watched a few videos on setting up a anchor trolly.That is how I set mine up.good stuff.Maybe we need to set up a NES kayak fishing meet up

I'm down in Sarasota, Fl. I love using my kayak to poke around the little saltwater mangrove forests and passes all around this area. I also love that it gets tossed on the car and can get put in almost anywhere.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What model kayaks are you guys using? I've been looking into getting one but have read mixed reviews on stability and ability to keep them straight in light wind.

What model kayaks are you guys using? I've been looking into getting one but have read mixed reviews on stability and ability to keep them straight in light wind.

anything wide is stable but no where near as fast and effortless as a narrow one. a rudder will keep tracking nice in the wind and usually works off foot pedals. i had a super light,long,narrow,fiberglass ocean kayak equiped with a rudder yrs ago. you had to be on the ball and it was narrow enough that you pretty much wore it. i would go miles in it. the one i have now,a heritage featherlite angler, is a short wide casual one with built in rod holders. they all have their personalities.

An older Wilderness Systems Pungo 13.5. I believe they make a 10, 12, and 14 now. Wide, stable, and certainly not the fastest out there, but the biggest advantage for me is the huge cockpit. I like having the larger opening when wrestling with fishing gear, cooler and oversized legs. I pay for that when it starts raining and I get to fight with installing a huge skirt out on the water, but I wouldn't trade that giant hole in the boat for anything.

i do alot of striper fishing on narragansett bay in a 10' perseption
Whereabout in the bay?
I live in Newport and got a Wilderness Systems Ride last year. I didn't get the angler version, but I added most of the stuff myself so I am pretty happy with it.
We had a baby last year, so I had to sell my 22' CC so I downsized to a kayak :) I missed the CC a few times, especially when the big yacht didn't observe the no wake zone and felt they had to get right next to me, but it's nice not having to worry about having a boat taking up my whole driveway all winter.
I didn't get out too much last summer due to the baby, but I made it out a few times and caught some stripers and a lot of scup and blue fish. I look forward to getting out this spring/summer again though.

During the summer I fish everyday, mainly in areas where I can get a bass boat in but a kayak is pretty handy, especially in areas where you cant fit a bass boat. Many of the areas where I fish branch off to streams because the lake is fed by underground spring. Anyone do any fishing in Maine?

ive had kayaks for years and find them to be much easier to handle and work from than canoes. I use them for duck hunting, exploring new hunting areas, fresh and salt water fishing or taking the kids out to explore. One person can easily carry a kayak to the water and have an adventure.

Speaking of kayak fishing in Maine, a few years back I was paddling and trolling along the south coast of maine and thought my line snagged a lobster buoy - because the kayak slammed to a halt. I soon realised i had hooked a monster striper. When I got the fish along side the kayak, I saw it was over 3 feet in length, and that was all i got to see, becaue once that fish saw me, it shook its head and straightened the hooks and was off the line. I went back w bigger gear but the fish had moved on.

Ive had the kayaks up in northern maine too, fly fishing for little brookies. Great fun. I got them used on craigslist and have had a lot of fun and adventures for very little investment.

You havent lived until youve been towed by a striper in a little plastic boat! A few more weeks till the herring run!!!!

Whereabout in the bay?
I live in Newport and got a Wilderness Systems Ride last year. I didn't get the angler version, but I added most of the stuff myself so I am pretty happy with it.
We had a baby last year, so I had to sell my 22' CC so I downsized to a kayak :) I missed the CC a few times, especially when the big yacht didn't observe the no wake zone and felt they had to get right next to me, but it's nice not having to worry about having a boat taking up my whole driveway all winter.
I didn't get out too much last summer due to the baby, but I made it out a few times and caught some stripers and a lot of scup and blue fish. I look forward to getting out this spring/summer again though.

narrow river and the harbor of refuge area, near the coastguard station. and from the west wall down past deep hole to the ocean mist

- - - Updated - - -

Whereabout in the bay?

narrow river and the harbor of refuge area, near the coastguard station. and from the west wall down past deep hole to the ocean mist

I use a 10' kayak for general recreation (just paddling around and soaking up the sun) and also for freshwater/ saltwater fishing, and duck hunting.

I usually stick to small ponds for largemouth or trout. There's a decent size pond not far from my house with lots of little nooks and coves where the largies like to hang, and it's great to be able to get into tight, shallow areas with a kayak which draws almost no water. If I'm using if for salt water, it's mostly to paddle out from shore about 100 yards, drop my bait and paddle back in. I've hooked some nice sized Stripers doing this.

I rigged up a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 (12') for fishing and while it works very well, if I were doing it again I would seriously consider one of the foot pedal propelled ones.

Back
Top Bottom