any kayak fisherman on here

I started fishing last summer while kayaking around Massabesic Lake, usually with a 6 pack or flask in the cooler. :)

I hooked something in there last year that pulled me around a bit but broke free before I could get it to the surface. I'll be back out there this summer to get that bad boy!

I'm new to the board, but also go kayak fishing. Like someone had posted earlier, it's less restrictive than having a boat as far as registering and is zero maintenance. The only downside is being somewhat limited in storage possibilities, but otherwise it's a blast!

I bought a 12' eagle run sit in angler kayak from Dick's a few years back and it was $449 I think, not bad compared to the cost of some higher end ones, and it has a green/brown/grey color combination strictly to look cool. hahaha!

my dad kayak fishes for stripers from the beach on block island, havent gotten into the rod and reel yet but i spearfish out of my scupper pro when im not on my friend's boat. the sit on tops are the best for diving.

254108_10150269037772018_2353837_n.jpg

a few of the opening clips on this vid are from my boat on my trip to florida last year

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you? Are you into catching bowfin?

People are actually into catching those? First and only time I caught one, I was like, "I can't believe I caught a catfish on that. Hey, that's not a catfish. It's a carp, er', a bass. No... Wait, what?!" It was kinda cool though, in a prehistoric kind of way.

People are actually into catching those? First and only time I caught one, I was like, "I can't believe I caught a catfish on that. Hey, that's not a catfish. It's a carp, er', a bass. No... Wait, what?!" It was kinda cool though, in a prehistoric kind of way.

Well yeah. They get huge. Lots of fun from a yak!

What model kayaks are you guys using? I've been looking into getting one but have read mixed reviews on stability and ability to keep them straight in light wind.

Ray, nothing is more stable than the hobie pro angler. I can stand up in fish in it and i'm a big dude. check out the video.

Here is me duck hunting out of it last year.

a8ydunem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ That is so awesome. I think you showed me that in a PM conversation we had last year about duck hunting from kayaks. For the time being I'm still using my red 10' kayak for duck hunting, and I just throw some camo ponchos over it once I get to where I'm going. But that type of setup is perfect for it. Foot paddles right? Some day I'm just going to man up and throw down a chunk of dough for a nice foot paddler like that for hunting/ fishing.

I actually got out on my kayak for the first time this year on Saturday. Went to a lake in Barnstable, then a pond in Yarmouth. No bites yet but it was nice to get out on the water again.

The PA rules. It's heavy but when you are on the water it flies and is unbelievably stable. I'm going to try to get out on the ocean this summer in it but will primarily be doing freshwater.

I bass fish out of mine all the small ponds in the Charlton, Oxford, Dudley area. WS Tarpon 100.
563445_4166085628708_1151057929_n.jpg

That is badass. I'd be looking for something just like that, but maybe in a dark green.

I'm going to try to get out on the ocean this summer in it but will primarily be doing freshwater.

I usually stick to the Barnstable Harbor waters if I'm going saltwater with my kayak. However, there was more than one Great White spotted in those waters last season so I'm most likely going to be hugging the shit out of the shoreline from now on. [laugh] Many times I've driven out on Sandy Neck, parked the truck on the beach and paddled a few miles up the beach to get away from the crowds and have some peace and quiet for a bit. The summer before last, I had done just that and I was about a mile away from the last parked vehicles when I noticed a baby seal was following me. I was no more than 50 yards from shore and I was a little concerned there may be a shark nearby. I turned and started paddling to get a little closer to shore and this little bastid swam right up to my kayak and started sniffing at me. I kept paddling and believe it or not, this baby seal swam around to the back of my kayak and climbed on board. I shit you not. I looked him over and was trying to figure out if he was injured or something. He looked fine and he just plopped down, closed his eyes and enjoyed the sun and the free ride. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I paddled all the way back to where my truck was parked and within a few feet of shore. The seal stayed on the whole time. There were a group of people there that were friends with one of my co-workers who had parked next to my truck on the beach and I motioned them to come check this out. My co-worker Rich walked into the water, came up to my kayak and patted the seal on the back. The seal got a little freaked at that, jumped off my kayak, looked at me for a second and then dove and swam off. Too bad no one snapped a photo of all this, but at least I've got witnesses to confirm I'm not full of shit. It was pretty cool.

That is badass. I'd be looking for something just like that, but maybe in a dark green.

I usually stick to the Barnstable Harbor waters if I'm going saltwater with my kayak. However, there was more than one Great White spotted in those waters last season so I'm most likely going to be hugging the shit out of the shoreline from now on. [laugh] Many times I've driven out on Sandy Neck, parked the truck on the beach and paddled a few miles up the beach to get away from the crowds and have some peace and quiet for a bit. The summer before last, I had done just that and I was about a mile away from the last parked vehicles when I noticed a baby seal was following me. I was no more than 50 yards from shore and I was a little concerned there may be a shark nearby. I turned and started paddling to get a little closer to shore and this little bastid swam right up to my kayak and started sniffing at me. I kept paddling and believe it or not, this baby seal swam around to the back of my kayak and climbed on board. I shit you not. I looked him over and was trying to figure out if he was injured or something. He looked fine and he just plopped down, closed his eyes and enjoyed the sun and the free ride. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I paddled all the way back to where my truck was parked and within a few feet of shore. The seal stayed on the whole time. There were a group of people there that were friends with one of my co-workers who had parked next to my truck on the beach and I motioned them to come check this out. My co-worker Rich walked into the water, came up to my kayak and patted the seal on the back. The seal got a little freaked at that, jumped off my kayak, looked at me for a second and then dove and swam off. Too bad no one snapped a photo of all this, but at least I've got witnesses to confirm I'm not full of shit. It was pretty cool.

That's pretty cool. I would have never patted the thing, they can bite through your hand.

Love bass fishing out of my kayak. I usually use a Swifty 9.5...it is very stable but doesnt track well. I am never in a hurry and usually just meander along the shoreline anyways.

I haven't taken my canoe out (except one Saco run last year) in 10 years. Probably will be posting it in the classifieds here soon.

I love it when you hook onto something that pulls you around the pond. :)

Just picked this up:

Started rigging it for fishing. I've got a few more things to add. ClearWater Mist 8.6

^ Hell yeah it is! Fishing from a kayak opens up a whole other world of opportunity. I'm very glad I finally bought myself one several years back. I have caught so much more fresh water fish since deploying the 'yak. In fact one of the first weekends I ever put it in the water, I was at a secluded pond in my town, and after several casts with a black rubber worm, I caught on something on the bottom. I reeled it up thinking it was a large stick. No, it was a complete Shakespeare rod & reel with a lure still attached to it. [laugh] I took it home, cleaned the hell out of it and I still use it to this day.

Resurrecting this thread. I know I'm late to the party, but here's my Jackson Big Rig. This yak is Bassyak ready. Just mount the motor, install the battery and fish finder for hours of hands free fishing.

This is it, pretty much bare nuts.

Resurrecting this thread. I know I'm late to the party, but here's my Jackson Big Rig. This yak is Bassyak ready. Just mount the motor, install the battery and fish finder for hours of hands free fishing.

This is it, pretty much bare nuts.

That's a sweet setup. You've inspired me to get my kayak out this weekend. I have an Old Town Trip10 Angler from Dick's Sporting Goods.
kayak.JPG

Ready to go. This is my Jackson Big Tuna. Last year, I bought a yak attack trolling motor and built a custom, through the hull mount for it, which I can take in and out as I please. I'm also running a Ray Marine Dragonfly fishfinder with a transponder through one one of the scuppers. The Stand-n-Fish pontoons and rails come off and on with just a pull of a couple pins.
Yesterday I received some underwater LED light bars. Can't wait to try them out.
bc3a1e57d9dd62af876f39b7a16090fe.jpg
de0ab74a884988b2ba04f49589fb6f6b.jpg
1de0538afa699de63c7f5b8815e027d1.jpg
55fbd40bc361cb00cce19f0c77296e15.jpg

Ready to go. This is my Jackson Big Tuna. Last year, I bought a yak attack trolling motor and built a custom, through the hull mount for it, which I can take in and out as I please. I'm also running a Ray Marine Dragonfly fishfinder with a transponder through one one of the scuppers. The Stand-n-Fish pontoons and rails come off and on with just a pull of a couple pins.
Yesterday I received some underwater LED light bars. Can't wait to try them out.
bc3a1e57d9dd62af876f39b7a16090fe.jpg
de0ab74a884988b2ba04f49589fb6f6b.jpg
1de0538afa699de63c7f5b8815e027d1.jpg
55fbd40bc361cb00cce19f0c77296e15.jpg

Wow, simply wow.

Anyone remember the story of that kayaker who hooked onto a tuna off race point a couple (I think) seasons ago? F*ckin' fish dragged him like miles offshore until it finally tuckered out and the guy was able to tow it back to shore. I'll try to find the article. The thought of being dragged out that far in a kayak scares the hell out of me but with some of the rigs you guys have, it might not be so scary. [laugh] Nice stuff guys.

ETA: Well here's one story from 6 years ago but I thought there was another more recent one where the guy was pulled way the hell out into almost the shipping lanes.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/20091105/NEWS11/911059971

Last edited:
I'll have to post up a few pictures of my rig, we had a few recreational kayaks anyway so I mounted the fishing gear myself and it does pretty well for what it is. I have it rigged with bow and stern lights so I can go out at night, I put it together late last summer and caught a few stripers in the harbor. All schoolies unfortunately.

Pretty ghetto compared to the other pictures on here, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom