• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any guys ice fish ?

Got out for a few hours this morning with the wife and son, little windy but we had a good time. Caught 2 pics and 3 big red perch. They were good eating size but I don’t eat them. Very clean, fat, healthy looking fish. Got cleaned up and off the ice just in time for a shower to come through. Also saw a couple bald eagles sitting on the ice ripping something apart. Good day

Did my gun clubs derby yesterday. Been awhile since I have done a derby. Had to spring for a 1 day NH license as this one was in Newton nh at country pond. Pretty well run derby.....$250 top pickerel, $175 top white perch, $75 top yellow perch $50 largest "other". No bass entered. What's with the no bass entered for NH Derby's by the way?

Anywho.....I'd never fished country pound before so my brother and son and I got there real early .looked at the map and picked a spot with different attributes all within walking distance.....a point....a shallow cove....a steep drop off......an inlet.....and a deep spot of 25 feet. All easy to get too. We set tips in each of the areas and found the steep drop and the shalllow cove we're hitting picks and perch so we moved all the tips to those spots. Flag after flag after flag......we the through 3 dozen shiners by 1pm .nothing big though.....couple of picks over 2 pounds but the leading pic was 3.51. then it slowed off at 1pm and we moved everything to deep water 25 feet with 2 hours left. Three nice bass over 4 pounds then my son lands a 5.1 pound bass.....can't enter any of em so we packed it up at 2;15. A stinking 3.51 pound pickerel won $250. I pull 3.5 pics out of my regular haunt all day long. Anyway.....good time.....good company.....not the best results for us but we had a blast.

Did my gun clubs derby yesterday. Been awhile since I have done a derby. Had to spring for a 1 day NH license as this one was in Newton nh at country pond. Pretty well run derby.....$250 top pickerel, $175 top white perch, $75 top yellow perch $50 largest "other". No bass entered. What's with the no bass entered for NH Derby's by the way?

Anywho.....I'd never fished country pound before so my brother and son and I got there real early .looked at the map and picked a spot with different attributes all within walking distance.....a point....a shallow cove....a steep drop off......an inlet.....and a deep spot of 25 feet. All easy to get too. We set tips in each of the areas and found the steep drop and the shalllow cove we're hitting picks and perch so we moved all the tips to those spots. Flag after flag after flag......we the through 3 dozen shiners by 1pm .nothing big though.....couple of picks over 2 pounds but the leading pic was 3.51. then it slowed off at 1pm and we moved everything to deep water 25 feet with 2 hours left. Three nice bass over 4 pounds then my son lands a 5.1 pound bass.....can't enter any of em so we packed it up at 2;15. A stinking 3.51 pound pickerel won $250. I pull 3.5 pics out of my regular haunt all day long. Anyway.....good time.....good company.....not the best results for us but we had a blast.
Could be related to winter bag limits for bass?

I think the locals at Winnipesaukee hate the bass boats ("ba**h***s"), because they release them all in one place around the same time, and they end up floating dead around Lee's Basin, making a stinking mess.

Wasn’t too bad, 4 small bass and one pick. None picture worthy. Packed it up when it started raining heavier so I could get the driveway cleared. Always good to be out.

Nice picture. Looks awesome with the snow coming down. Are the tip ups all in a line inorder to try different depths?

Yeah, I try to work the drops. That pond has some good structure. I was from 10 fow on my second trap up to 6 fow on the third and down to 11 fow and the about 15 or so on my last trap.

Could be related to winter bag limits for bass?
From what I was told when asked, in NH when a derby is being held they need to get permission from the state in order for bass to be included. I don't exactly know why but I believe the person I was talking to since he is in the fishing business.

From what I was told when asked, in NH when a derby is being held they need to get permission from the state in order for bass to be included. I don't exactly know why but I believe the person I was talking to since he is in the fishing business.
The club did get a permit from NH fish And game. Still no bass could be entered .

I was out again today with my SO... 36 flags and 13 bass brought up thru the ice. Biggest of the day ~2lbs.... It took over and hour and half to get our 10 traps in as we were just so busy! ~7" of ice...

Attachments

• IceFishing-020818-EFM17qtr2lbLMB.jpg
    IceFishing-020818-EFM17qtr2lbLMB.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 22
Does anyone know of good ice? Seems like anything in the north shore is too far gone.

Yes there are areas around the north shore that have good ice that would be fishable tomorrow but you have to look around and of course spud your way. Don't just take another persons word for it.

Ended up to to winnipesaukee and then lake waukewan and got a 13" and 14.5" yellow perch and had another tank break my line.

I also landed a 20" 3.5 lb LMB last weekend to place first in the Flax Pond derby.

Attachments

• IMG_2995.JPG
    IMG_2995.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2998.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2972.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2980.PNG
    IMG_2980.PNG
    186.9 KB · Views: 20
Nice fish, I went to Gunstock on Saturday and people were all over Winni ice fishing. So jealous, after today I think things may be gone here where I am.

Cleaned up put away and now will be looking for open water. I plan on ordering today, a sit on top kayak designed for fishing. Really had a ball ice fishing this year and my wife and I will be introducing our granddaughter to it next year. She will be 8 then.

Back
Top Bottom