• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any guys ice fish ?

checked last night after work

In Taunton a couple ponds 5 -6 inches of good ice measured with tape measure after using my hand auger , im sure as im typing this it is probly another inch over last night

the bigger lakes im sure by this weekend will be ready

I'm finishing up deer season Saturday.

Monday I'm gonna try to get out locally. Ice should be good kids are already skating on plugs in haverhill

Crap, I completely forgot to Karma off a brand new hand ice auger (won it a few years back), thanks for the reminder. I'll do it this weekend.

I'm finishing up deer season Saturday.

Monday I'm gonna try to get out locally. Ice should be good kids are already skating on plugs in haverhill

Will be plenty of ice I’m sure but always bring your spud to make sure. I never do well at plugs so I typically end up at round. Mostly fish rock pond in Georgetown.

Will be plenty of ice I’m sure but always bring your spud to make sure. I never do well at plugs so I typically end up at round. Mostly fish rock pond in Georgetown.
I don't fish plugs anymore either. Just live down in Riverside and drive by it all the time......they were playing hockey in the cove yesterday.

I also fish round! Will probably be on round Monday.....if you see a dark popup shanty on the side by the middle school stop by and say hello

Will do, that’s the side I fish as well.
Got some nice fat bass there in years past.

Plugs has died on big fish in the last few years. In 2007 I got a state pin pickerel out of plugs......big sob. For some reason it's just dying off on big ones.

I know when Dana ran the ice fishing derby over at plugs there were some big fish taking the prizes. 6+lb pic and 7+lb bass. Would’ve been around the same year.

I know when Dana ran the ice fishing derby over at plugs there were some big fish taking the prizes. 6+lb pic and 7+lb bass. Would’ve been around the same year.
I was in that derby! Still miss Dana.

Gotta get out the tilts and make sure everything is working. I got my uncle's stuff, too, so will share that with the kids.

Daughter is ready to go here and plenty of extra traps to share with her. Hoping I can get her addicted to it. Always nice to get the kids out and spend some time outside having fun.

I will try heading out to Horn Pond this weekend. Usually some good activity. Also it is one of the stocking locations for brood salmon. They strike hard and run fast.

Careful out there on Horn the ice can be tricky, but since you're location is Woburn you probably know that already. Good luck out there. Update how you did, I've heard a mixed bag when it comes to doing well fishing there.

Got out with the family today. Great day. Lots of flags and lots of bass/pickerel. Son got a 14 1/4 inch crappie so just long enough for a bronze pin in mass. Already submitted the pic online to mass f and g. My brother got a holdover brown trout! First ever holdover we've ever landed! Cooked venison sausage and peppers for lunch. New heater worked great in the tent. A good day.

I'm starting. I live across the street from a nice pond. Saw a bunch of folks out yesterday. No idea what I'm doing, but I'm game to give it a shot. Anyone have suggestions of what I HAVE to buy versus nice to have?

-Ice chipper that you will have to hollow grind to actually get through the ice.
-Tip-ups (5)
-crampons for your Sorels or mickey mouse boots (Army/Navy store)
-sounding weight to get depth right
-brandy
-really warm clothes
-license
-seat/box on skis
-ladel
-extra chipper in case the first one has an accident
-hooks and line
-someone else to keep the fire going and drive if you get loaded.

I'm starting. I live across the street from a nice pond. Saw a bunch of folks out yesterday. No idea what I'm doing, but I'm game to give it a shot. Anyone have suggestions of what I HAVE to buy versus nice to have?
The first lessons I learned from my buddies on ice fishing:

1. Have a designated driver
2. Budweiser freezes.......wild turkey does not.
3. Ice spuds turn into torpedoes when you don't have the lanyard on your wrist.

Have fun....just try it.

-Ice chipper that you will have to hollow grind to actually get through the ice.
-Tip-ups (5)
-crampons for your Sorels or mickey mouse boots (Army/Navy store)
-sounding weight to get depth right
-brandy
-really warm clothes
-license
-seat/box on skis
-ladel
-extra chipper in case the first one has an accident
-hooks and line
-someone else to keep the fire going and drive if you get loaded.

I would add a hand auger or power, gonna take a bit of effort when you start getting into a foot of ice. Creepers for your boots mentioned above are an absolute if you plan on tying one on out there. Nothing worse than slamming your head on ice.

Got out with the family today. Great day. Lots of flags and lots of bass/pickerel. Son got a 14 1/4 inch crappie so just long enough for a bronze pin in mass. Already submitted the pic online to mass f and g. My brother got a holdover brown trout! First ever holdover we've ever landed! Cooked venison sausage and peppers for lunch. New heater worked great in the tent. A good day.
Sounds like a good day, fished Rock in Georgetown on Saturday but it was slow. Got checked by the EPO too which was a little surprising but just doing their job. Any checks out there with so many fishing yesterday?

Sounds like a good day, fished Rock in Georgetown on Saturday but it was slow. Got checked by the EPO too which was a little surprising but just doing their job. Any checks out there with so many fishing yesterday?
We were the only ones on round pond! No trout troopers either.

you can use a 5 gallon bucket to carry your traps in, it doubles as a seat.
kid's toboggan works fine as a sled to pull your gear out on
you'll find you want a hand auger at the minimum, chipping gets old pretty quick.
bait bucket for your shiners,
if you're looking for shiners: there's a place in Millis that I've never been to "Keith's Tackle Shop" on rt. 109.
then there's Jerry's Bait and tackle in Milford & I think Natick Outdoor Store as well.

camp stove or small grill to cook something hot is key.

I went out for the first time this year ( Franklin)....1 LMB ~13"...and 3 other flags. A nice day with about 8" of ice.

I went out for the first time this year ( Franklin)....1 LMB ~13"...and 3 other flags. A nice day with about 8" of ice.
Nice. Some days are slow.....but I've had days out there where I couldn't even get 5 tip ups set because you keep getting flag after flag! In fact.....best day to ice fish is a day like todays forecast!!!!! I've ice fished during a few noreasters and for some reason the fish go bonkers! I think it has something to do with the barometric pressure drop.

Back
Top Bottom