• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any guys ice fish ?

Thanks. Father decided to try a hand auger/drill attachment a few years ago and now the auger is at the bottom of Johnsons Pond. Oh well 100 bucks in the drink.

FYI: the K-Drill *WILL* float! No worries about it going to the bottom!

That was the highlight of my day....other than 2 flags..... :(

FYI: the K-Drill *WILL* float! No worries about it going to the bottom!

That was the highlight of my day....other than 2 flags..... :(
Nice, well that it floats. I’ve had a slow year too, it’s feast or famine from what I’ve been reading. A sloe day on the ice beats a day at work anytime. Thanks for the update.

What do you guys think the most effective spud cutting edge design is? Flat chisel, stepped, fork point stepped... I just got a bunch of cold chisels at work and was thinking of making another spud. The one I have that I like best doesn’t come apart so I want to make one that will break in half to fit in my box.

I've (had) always used one with a chisel point (think axe blade)...not sure it was the best, but it worked fine. Just chop in a circle...as the center will pop out saving you some chopping! :cool:

What do you guys think the most effective spud cutting edge design is? Flat chisel, stepped, fork point stepped... I just got a bunch of cold chisels at work and was thinking of making another spud. The one I have that I like best doesn’t come apart so I want to make one that will break in half to fit in my box.

Like this and you’re good to go.

4BB3C720-3E9F-4C7F-BC90-2C31E92BD2CF.png

I was thinking something like that with a bit of a hollow grind or a wider version of the one I use the most which is a slightly rounded point with the point offset a little closer to one side than the other.

What are the bare essentials for trout and/or landlocked salmon ice fishing? Haven't been ice fishing in decades, so...

Looking for total newb advice. Thanks to a nice karma win from JerryS, I'm all set for tip-ups with line, a pole, strainer, and a couple jigs. I'm not too far from Comet Pond and am planning to go. I plan on getting a hand auger or spud and assume some pull yourself out spikes are in order. I'll use a bucket to carry crap and put a pad on it to sit. Thermos with coffee and Baileys or Kahlua of course :D. I should have plenty hooks of appropriate size for trout and some 6lb or 4lb leader line. Probably go with 6lb.

Any thoughts on bait? Alternatives to shiners since we're talking trout? Not sure if waxworms can be found this time of year. LOL, in the Ozarks one of the largest trout ever caught was caught on a french fry.

Not looking to carry any more crap than necessary. Any advice appreciated.

Try iceshanty.com, great advice for targeting all types of species. I frequent there often. I don’t fish for trout so I can’t help you there.

Mountain, if you are looking for an auger I have an extra (don’t need 3). I am in Douglas, I will have to check to see what brands they are and if the blades look good but you are welcome to one if you are interested.

Thanks bigpick, noted.

That's awesome Brian5582- I think I can get my hands on one in town but if that falls through Douglas isn't too far away. I hunt at Lady Woods now and then, which I believe is in Douglas.

Some of you wanted a report on my new K-Drill and Milwaukee M18 Fuel drill. I used it for the first time today on 6-7” of solid ice. 4-5 seconds per hole. No effort. Highly recommend!
I also got to play with my new Humminbird Ice 35 flasher. Really like it also. Although, one time I saw a fish come up to my jig, got excited and set the hook before he grabbed the jig. Lol.

Where is a good place to get shiners in Central MA? Think Rutland/Holden/Paxton/Princeton/Worcester/Auburn/Millbury/Sutton/Leicester/Oxford areas.

Anybody catching? Yesterday we got 5 flags...2 fish....biggest was about 15.5"....and 1.5lbs.... While cleaning it I found another rusted hook in it's gullet....which probably explains why the fish was so light....

D6642C77-CA30-492F-B24A-C75CCB3F1C38.jpeg 977DF761-9D00-4379-A216-8A3B1D586FD2.jpeg
Anybody catching? Yesterday we got 5 flags...2 fish....biggest was about 15.5"....and 1.5lbs.... While cleaning it I found another rusted hook in it's gullet....which probably explains why the fish was so light....

Got 9 pick in 3 hours of fishing this morning biggest being 2lbs 4 oz. Solid 8-9 inches of ice, had a good time.

Some of you wanted a report on my new K-Drill and Milwaukee M18 Fuel drill. I used it for the first time today on 6-7” of solid ice. 4-5 seconds per hole. No effort. Highly recommend!
I also got to play with my new Humminbird Ice 35 flasher. Really like it also. Although, one time I saw a fish come up to my jig, got excited and set the hook before he grabbed the jig. Lol.

Thanks for the update

Coyote, Bob’s in Webster is open till 4 today and Fin and Feather in Upton is open today and tomorrow... I know there’s at least one more down by me (Douglas) but am drawing a blank right now.

Fished 4 today worth my brother and his kids. I got a bass over 5 pounds and my brother got 3 corker pickerel! A couple perch and a couple crappie as well. Big fish landed today! Lake was packed. 8-9 inches of solid clear ice and just enough snow on top for some traction to walk around on......perfect conditions.

Where is a good place to get shiners in Central MA? Think Rutland/Holden/Paxton/Princeton/Worcester/Auburn/Millbury/Sutton/Leicester/Oxford areas.

Pretty sure Jed's Hardware in Holden has them. Would be worth calling to check. Not sure if I'll get there this weekend but if I make a Jed's trip I'll check.

Mountain, if you are looking for an auger I have an extra (don’t need 3). I am in Douglas, I will have to check to see what brands they are and if the blades look good but you are welcome to one if you are interested.

Just sent you a PM- local source didn't work out. Thanks again.

Fished 4 today worth my brother and his kids. I got a bass over 5 pounds and my brother got 3 corker pickerel! A couple perch and a couple crappie as well. Big fish landed today! Lake was packed. 8-9 inches of solid clear ice and just enough snow on top for some traction to walk around on......perfect conditions.

Great day....fish your usual spot? I know you t was packed over there as we drove by.

Got out with my wife and son (5) today, his first time ice fishing. Had planned on only going for a couple hours knowing he probably wouldn’t last that long... 4.5 hours later we packed up to go watch the Pats game. Beautiful day for it and everyone had a blast. 6-8” of ice. Had plenty of action 5 big pic’s, 2 crappie, and a bunch of misses letting my son fight them. He says next time we need to bring better chairs, the tent, and more food. Hopefully the ice stays here for a bit cause he has caught the bug.

382C4623-8791-4908-A2B3-A896850CF5A8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom