Any good sites for researching old guns?

I'm buying a couple of really old guns from a friend. So old they have no serial numbers.

I just wondered if anyone had any sites on looking up info on old and rare guns.

I googled a few, but didn't find what I wanted.

Try going to THR:

www.thehighroad.org

Sign up; then post some pics (if you have them) and descriptions (as much as you know) in the
"Harley Nolden's Institute For Firearms Research" section. The people there are amazing. They'll be able to fill you in.

Do you know which manufacturer they came from? That may help guide your search. For example, if they were S&W's I would point you towards

www.smith-wessonforum.com

There may be other specialized forums out there also.

One is a Springfield Arms single shot, bolt action .22. It has not serial and no model number on it... simply has "Springfield Arms" .22 stamped on it.

The other is a "Ranger" model 101 12, 410 gage.

Both of these were left to him by his uncle that had them forever.

That is all I know as of now. I will post some pics here as well as that site that Eddie posted.

One is a Springfield Arms single shot, bolt action .22. It has not serial and no model number on it... simply has "Springfield Arms" .22 stamped on it.

Well, for .22's you can try:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

Lots of rimfire knowledge there.

As far as the shotgun, I have a feeling that it was made by another company such as Savage, Stevens, or maybe Winchester under the "Ranger" name for a chain store or some other large store that did not make their own. I have seen a list of such combinations somewhere. If I can find it I'll post it for you.

Another source may be the very familiar "Blue Book of Gun Values" by Fjestad.

The other is a "Ranger" model 101 12, 410 gage.

Found some infor in the back of the "Blue Book". It lists the following:

Sears 101.12 made by Stevens, original model no was 39. IIRC "Ranger" was one of the names which Sears used on it's shotguns.

I have a Sears & Roebuck 16ga bolt-action shotgun at home... I wouldn't mind looking up some info about them! I kinda like bolt scatterguns.

Found some infor in the back of the "Blue Book". It lists the following:

Sears 101.12 made by Stevens, original model no was 39. IIRC "Ranger" was one of the names which Sears used on it's shotguns.

Thanks! That is great info.

I found the sears part for the "ranger" but couldn't find the model number to match.

I may need to pick up one of those books. I'd be interested to see how old this gun is. it is a bolt action I believe.

If you go to Numrich gun parts (e-gunparts.com) they have a reference list on guns made for the chain stores.

Gunbroker.com also has one of the best 'ask the experts' forums I've been to.

Thanks for the info again guys.

Here are the guns I got. If anyone has any input as to model number on the .22, let me know.

I'm also looking to get a value for them as I may not keep them and want to sell/trade them for something else.

Ranger" 101 12 (or Steven's Model 39) 410 gage. It needs a little work, but appears to be in fine shooting condition. Missing the butt plate.

Springfield Arms .22, single shot bolt action. very old (possibly 1930's) No model number stamped anywhere. Only a very small circle with a 25 in it. Not sure what that is though. The stock has a "lame" carving in it that was done by my friends unlce when his uncle was about 12... when he got the rifle. But in perfect working order.

Back
Top Bottom