• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any advice where to buy an o/u shotgun on North Shore?

EDIT: Found a Browning Cynergy CX at Kittery Trading post for $1750. Photos attached. Got delayed. Thanks Fbi. Canceling order. Ordered same one NEW from Cabelas for $1830. Excellent window shopping experience. We have a winner!

I want to get into skeet without breaking the bank. I’d really like to check out some used Browning/Benneli/Baretta over unders in the $1500 range.

Not interested in purchasing a turkish made- although I do hear CZ is solid.

Any advice closer to North Shore? Appreciate it!

Attachments

• F59CB8F0-AECC-4CFD-8D07-8CCFFDD3CDD8.jpeg
    F59CB8F0-AECC-4CFD-8D07-8CCFFDD3CDD8.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 32
  • C119E8D4-C9A0-44E6-B162-792A04F017F2.jpeg
    C119E8D4-C9A0-44E6-B162-792A04F017F2.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
@maltc
Drive to Kittery Trading Post in ME, they have a good used selection. See if they still have "the NH location" to make the purchase to avoid the sales tax, I've done this myself a couple of time.
Thanks.

Did you just efa10 when you brought it back into massachusetts?

I want to get into skeet without breaking the bank. I’d really like to check out some used Browning/Benneli/Baretta over unders in the $1500 range.

Kittery likely the best place to go. They don't have a ton of used stock in. But might have something as more and more guns are coming in every day there. They keep a very good updated website on their guns.

You can buy online and it will hold the gun til you get up there. If you don't like it, you just cancel the order and they credit your card back.

CZ are good guns, guys at the club have them with thousands or rounds on them and no issues.

They don't do the NH thing anymore, but for sales tax give you a gift card to cover more than the amount. The bad part is you can't use it for your gun purchase at the time, only after.

Kittery likely the best place to go. They don't have a ton of used stock in. But might have something as more and more guns are coming in every day there. They keep a very good updated website on their guns.

You can buy online and it will hold the gun til you get up there. If you don't like it, you just cancel the order and they credit your card back.

CZ are good guns, guys at the club have them with thousands or rounds on them and no issues.

They don't do the NH thing anymore, but for sales tax give you a gift card to cover more than the amount. The bad part is you can't use it for your gun purchase at the time, only after.
That would work. If you can’t find anything at KTP to buy you’re impossible to buy for. 😂

Ill also say if you have a trade and take store credit value for it...its generally very fair.

Cash value....not so much...but that's expected as you get hosed at the majority of gun shops for cash.

Been a few years but at one time they had a store front in NH so no sales tax was charged.
Whether or not you bother or not with a efa10 is your business. I didn’t and I never went to jail.
You do you.
They stopped the NH gun store.
Then they started giving MA slaves a gift card for the tax paid.
Now I don't know what they do, I haven't been there in a couple of years.

They stopped the NH gun store.
Then they started giving MA slaves a gift card for the tax paid.
Now I don't know what they do, I haven't been there in a couple of years.
Still the gift card. Pretty sure 100 dollar for each thousand you spend.

I bought a browning 725 target shotgun up there for 3K when Browning had 10% rebate last Feb. They gave me a gift card that was way above the tax amount of 180, for 300 dollars.

Ill admit it was nice to get the 300 dollar check from browning a week later as well.

I had some store credit to burn as well. In general KTP is high retail and online that gun would have usually been 300 cheaper. But I couldn't find it online at the time.

Unfortunately I couldn't use the 300 on the same gun, had to be a different purchase, so I bought a brand new leftover Mathews bow they had on the clearance rack for 700 with the 300 gift card. Essentially buying the bow for 65% off new. That was the real deal I got.

EDIT: Found a Browning Cynergy CX at Kittery Trading post for $1750. Photos attached. Got delayed. Thanks Fbi. Canceling order. Ordered same one NEW from Cabelas for $1830. Excellent window shopping experience. We have a winner!

Congrats!

Hope it’s welcome but have been considering a O/U myself…

Looking at the Beretta 690 Black with 30”s looks to be about $2800 but not sure I will ever shoot enough to make a dedicated sporting gun worth it. Really looking for a solid o/u to play games with, maybe to the dog out in the field a few times and have for my boys when I’m dead - sub $3k, $2k would be better

Hope it’s welcome but have been considering a O/U myself…

Looking at the Beretta 690 Black with 30”s looks to be about $2800 but not sure I will ever shoot enough to make a dedicated sporting gun worth it. Really looking for a solid o/u to play games with, maybe to the dog out in the field a few times and have for my boys when I’m dead - sub $3k, $2k would be better
I highly recommend you check out the cynergy. Great bird gun as well if you want.

If you’d like to split the difference I hear good things about the Browning Citori. Should be closer to $2500.

didn`t they stop selling any guns to MA residents - demanding to see a local state driver license first? or was it a some other shop?
Nah. They allowed me to purchase I got delayed and did a little more research and canceled the transaction the next day.

didn`t they stop selling any guns to MA residents - demanding to see a local state driver license first? or was it a some other shop?
No way.....

They would lose half their business in long guns if they didn't sell to MA residents. And I'll venture to guess 70% of their high end shotgun sales. Every fuddy trap fag I know at these local clubs in my area goes to KTP to buy and trade in for their high end shotguns.

I don't think they sell pistols, but the guy I was working with said they would but its a lot more BS. But still don't think they sell pistols into MA. Their pistol case is overflowing.

I dont even think of buying pistols at KTP because KTP thinks we can't own certain things, which we certainly can own. And...its easier and cheaper online as KTP is overpriced.

At one time I considered not going to KTP anymore, because I was getting attitude by some for being from MA. Maybe that additude was just because they were busy, and it annoyed certain counter folk who wanted to sit on their ass instead. But I got ignored a few times more than I'd like because I spend good money there.

That attitude seems to be gone at the gun counter now.......that's about when the deli tickets came in. But there is pretty much no waiting now.....as long as you don't go on a weekend that is.

Last edited:
No way.....

They would lose half their business in long guns if they didn't sell to MA residents. And I'll venture to guess 70% of their high end shotgun sales. Every fuddy trap fag I know at these local clubs in my area goes to KTP to buy and trade in for their high end shotguns.

I don't think they sell pistols, but the guy I was working with said they would but its a lot more BS. But still don't think they sell pistols into MA. Their pistol case is overflowing.

I dont even think of buying pistols at KTP because KTP thinks we can't own certain things, which we certainly can own. And...its easier and cheaper online as KTP is overpriced.

At one time I considered not going to KTP anymore, because I was getting attitude by some for being from MA. Maybe that additude was just because they were busy, and it annoyed certain counter folk who wanted to sit on their ass instead. But I got ignored a few times more than I'd like because I spend good money there.

That attitude seems to be gone at the gun counter now.......that's about when the deli tickets came in. But there is pretty much no waiting now.....as long as you don't go on a weekend that is.
I have discussed this with dealers before, but never get a good answer.

Why do FFL from outside MA give a sh*t about our list?

They are shipping the gun to a MA FFL, it is the MA FFL problem.

The "list" is not a Federal thing.

Some might say "well, KTP knows the gun is for you, not something the dealer is ordering" ... so what? ... KTP is giving it to a dealer and the dealer is making the transfer, not KTP.

Applies to every FFL that will not ship a handgun to MA.

Maybe KTP is different due to their popularity they could be afraid the AG will somehow try to go after them? Could the AG even do that?

Some might say "well, KTP knows the gun is for you, not something the dealer is ordering" ... so what? ... KTP is giving it to a dealer and the dealer is making the transfer, not KTP.

Maybe KTP is different due to their popularity they could be afraid the AG will somehow try to go after them? Could the AG even do that?
Because if a MA FFL can’t transfer it to the buyer it’s going to get sent back. Time consuming and costly. In addition probably looking to avoid civil lawsuit from Fuhrer Healey.

No way.....

KTP is definitely over priced. Deli ticket is one of the best gun shops in MA. Friendly and competent staff and their shelves are always stocked. If you want “grey area” items we all know how to use gunbroker for a ffl transfer or hit the mill.

Because if a MA FFL can’t transfer it to the buyer it’s going to get sent back. Time consuming and costly. In addition probably looking to avoid civil lawsuit from Fuhrer Healey.
Meh, that is easily solved:

"the sale is final"
Or
"there is a 50% restocking fee if your FFL doesn't accept it and S&H is not refunded".

Also, do FFLs just send guns back?

My local FFL that will not do a frame transfer because the town is all over his a** told me if someone ever sent a frame, he would hold it and ask the buyer where he wants the frame shipped, because he will not do the transfer.

Here is the deal with that. Technically its an ATF thing. ATF does send some notices on it too.

Dealers aren't supposed to sell to states where they know certain things are illegal for people to own. The list however is not a federal thing....but border states, and places like KTP get sniffs of it and shut off sales. Mainly because they worry about their own FFL license.

Since MA has such a cornucopia of bullshit to deal with.....out of state dealers don't learn the laws, they just shut off sales instead. Some big dealers in way off states shut off all sales to MA. Palmetto and CTD are just a few, and believe me others see things and follow along.

Asking some FFL in a free state to learn our laws and subtle feelings on what our AG likes for pistols today....... is akin to asking a butcher to do brain surgery.

That said, there are many smaller dealers nationwide that don't know our laws don't know our list and will ship anything to MA, mainly because they do not know, or do not care to know our laws and figure it's totally legal. Odds are they selling any pistol into our market is not going to touch off anything with the ATF. Those dealers always have a notice to say "make sure what your buying is legal in your state" and if sent back will be subject to a large fee restocking charge.

Last edited:
KTP is definitely over priced. Deli ticket is one of the best gun shops in MA. Friendly and competent staff and their shelves are always stocked. If you want “grey area” items we all know how to use gunbroker for a ffl transfer or hit the mill.
KTP does deli tickets now for high volume days.

I am no fan of the deli ticket emporium in MA. Not by a long shot. But I dont live anywhere near there and have no reason to go out to there either.

Here is the deal with that. Technically its an ATF thing. ATF does send some notices on it too.

Dealers aren't supposed to sell to states where they know certain things are illegal for people to own. The list however is not a federal thing....but border states, and places like KTP get sniffs of it and shut off sales. Mainly because they worry about their own FFL license.

Since MA has such a cornucopia of bullshit to deal with.....out of state dealers don't learn the laws, they just shut off sales instead. Some big dealers in way off states shut off all sales to MA. Palmetto and CTD are just a few, and believe me others see things and follow along.

Asking some FFL in a free state to learn our laws and subtle feelings on what our AG likes for pistols today....... is akin to asking a butcher to do brain surgery.

That said, there are many smaller dealers nationwide that don't know our laws don't know our list and will ship anything to MA, mainly because they do not know, or do not care to know our laws and figure it's totally legal. Odds are they selling any pistol into our market is not going to touch off anything with the ATF. Those dealers always have a notice to say "make sure what your buying is legal in your state" and if sent back will be subject to a large fee restocking charge.
Bolded ... The list does not make guns illegal for people to own.

That being said, you have a good point. I didn't know the ATF sent a list, no one ever told me that before. It makes sense that FFLs will not try to lear the law in every State, specially when many are a cluster f*ck.

Bolded ... The list does not make guns illegal for people to own.

That being said, you have a good point. I didn't know the ATF sent a list, no one ever told me that before. It makes sense that FFLs will not try to lear the law in every State, specially when many are a cluster f*ck.
Agree.......you and I know that but asking some dealer in Tennesee to know that is a stretch. That dealer in Tennessee is either gonna see.....pistols are illegal in MA. Or he's gonna not look at anything and sell into MA if he/she does online sales that is.

I have a C&R and even with that paperwork there is a letter I believe or a bulletin that gives some general rules on certain states, or be careful selling into certain states or something like that.
I've over generalizing, but its been a regular thing for a while now.

KTP does deli tickets now for high volume days.

I am no fan of the deli ticket emporium in MA. Not by a long shot. But I dont live anywhere near there and have no reason to go out to there either.
Just my experience- Carl and crew have been nothing but professional in my experience and basically always beat out competitors pricing.

My favorite crew these days are probably Steve and John at Northeast Arms on rt 1. A little personality and conversation can go a long ways in this industry.

(Thanks for the 229 pro gents)

The Cynergy is a nice gun. I had a classic sporting 30" which I had to sell. You should enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom