Antique Shooting Requirements

larry.k

NES Member
Hi, sorry if this is redundant! I have an antique (1891) Springfield Trapdoor 45-70, which I intend to take to the range and enjoy shooting. That said, I wonder what is required as far as registering the gun. It is an antique by definition, but not a wall-hanger. So now that it is "operational" do I have to enter it in the gun portal?

Thanks, larry.k

You stated that now that it is working, so how long have you owned it?

Do not register it, once it is on the books the value goes way down. As far as the gov. is concerned it is a metal tube with wood (relic). People often think that just because they have an antique that takes a cartridge it is now in a different category. NO it is not it is still an antique. I do civil war shows across the east coast and if I found a beautiful item that was an antique but had to keep it on the books I would never purchase it unless it was incredibly cheap. If you want to shoot it, well, that is up to you just be sure to clean very well as you are using black gunpowder I assume, I do have plenty of friends that shoot black powder antiques, just care for it and it should be fine. I just bought a 2,000.00 hall that I was told it was shot months ago but the owner was meticulous and cleaned it to the point that you would never know. Not to mention unless it is an authentic carbine the value in not too much. Getting/making the ammo is just as expensive as the gun lol.
Remember the year is 1898 no matter what you are told. We have civil war competition shoots twice a year and none of the pistols, carbines, rifles are registered,
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom