Can I concealed carry antique weapons without an LTC (or with a restricted LTC)?

That's the thing, though, there is no intersection between the legal issue and the practicality.

The only guns that are remotely practical for the purpose of "EDC carry with an antique" are C96s and two categories of revolvers: 7.5mm and 8mm early smokeless revolvers from places like Switzerland, France, Japan, Sweden, Norway, and Russia.

Let's just remove the Nagants (Russia, Norway, and Sweden) from consideration because of how stupidly slow they are to reload.

About fifty seconds lol

I don't know how much faster a M1892 Lebel or M1882 Swiss Ordnance is to reload than a Nagant, but let's say those are faster and less likely to get OP killed in the streets.

The options I can think of that are safe to use with smokeless and not useless are the C96, Type 26, M1892 Lebel, and M1882 Swiss Ordnance lol, and none of those are actually easy to *use*

The thing about the 1899 versus 1898 date is that it practically doesn't matter in terms of being able to buy a gun. For instance, I looked up when Lugers and Webley MkIVs came out - 1899 - but the only examples from 1899 were trials guns. Like say a $57,500 Swiss/British trials Luger.

Enough people unironically carry 5 and 6 shot DA revolvers, without a reload, that it's reasonable (to me) to consider that an acceptable method of carry, even if I don't choose it. From that perspective, I think we can chew on the idea...with all due respect for all the practical concerns you raise.

Enough people unironically carry 5 and 6 shot DA revolvers, without a reload, that it's reasonable (to me) to consider that an acceptable method of carry, even if I don't choose it. From that perspective, I think we can chew on the idea...with all due respect for all the practical concerns you raise.

The problem with these guns isn't their capacity, but rather everything else about them from ammo to holsters to parts to how to become proficient with them.

Think about it this way: what do you think will happen when an under 21 goes to a gun store and asks for 8mm Japanese Revolver defensive loads? Lots of vendors outside Mass (I don't know about in) won't sell handgun ammo to under 21s.

The problem with these guns isn't their capacity, but rather everything else about them from ammo to holsters to parts to how to become proficient with them.

Think about it this way: what do you think will happen when an under 21 goes to a gun store and asks for 8mm Japanese Revolver defensive loads? Lots of vendors outside Mass (I don't know about in) won't sell handgun ammo to under 21s.
Again, I completely agree with all of this. To me, this question doesn't even get out the gate from a perspective of practicality. It's only interesting to me to consider exactly these questions that you're asking. That is:
Yes, technically you could do this. What would it look like to try? To start, you need a 123+ year old firearm, and ammo that's safe for it. Next, you need a custom holster, because Lucas doesn't have the C96 in his drop down and pocket carry was never an option. Then we get to the actual experience of training with it...

I don't know if my FID could be simply revoked for committing no crimes. Unlike an LTC, I believe FID is shall-issue, so they would need to find some legitimate legal reason unless they want to get sued.
Your belief is unfounded. Since 2014, FIDs have been May Issue; suitability does apply. It will also apply in the future, when you try to get an LTC. (Also, the suit you imagine is not nearly as painful for them as for you. )

Was it a pre-1898 MkI? I know I'm being pedantic here, but there's a difference between a revolver built in 1895 and one from 1950. And that's before we get into finding anyone that'll sell commercial .455 Webley ammo. (Buffalo Bore has some, but you're not getting it on TSUSA)
All the Mk I and II revolvers are pre-98. Most of the Mk III examples are, too.

I reload my own .455. The different marks call for different powders and loads, generally. It’s a rabbit hole worth going down only if you’re really into it, lol.

My first post here was tongue in cheek. I’d totally use a Webley for SD, though.

All the Mk I and II revolvers are pre-98. Most of the Mk III examples are, too.
Thanks for straightening me out.
I reload my own .455. The different marks call for different powders and loads, generally. It’s a rabbit hole worth going down only if you’re really into it, lol.
We'll save that for another time, then.
My first post here was tongue in cheek. I’d totally use a Webley for SD, though.
[banana]
Head-canon is now that you, in fact, have it with you every day at work...as a teaching resource, because you're such a dedicated instructor.

I've got a Webley Mark I that'll do you just fine, but you'll need to learn to reload for it. $6,833 OBO. I know what I have. Goose rules.

Nah, I'm messing with you OP. I'd side with the people who point out that it's not worth the potential hazard of getting jammed for suitability for the rest of your life. Just grab some pepper spray instead. Sucks, but...
5D6251F5-A369-4ABF-BD3D-D6F611BD6A14.jpeg
You beat me!

MA law is s silly. I can strap on a 4 foot katana and be legal, but a three inch knife with a double edge is illegal.
I worked with a guy who had an umbrella that looked like a Katana. Bunch of Karen’s reported a “Black man with a sword” in the Seaport. He’s minding his own business and suddenly surrounded by Boston PD. He threw out the umbrella

Hello, I am an FID holder with a question regarding antique weapons. I have already looked at the existing threads in this forum, but I wanted to clarify a few things regarding concealed carry of a loaded antique weapon.

For background, in Commonwealth vs. Liquarry C. Jefferson and Leslie Burton-Brown, the Supreme Judicial Court declared that "A person does not need a license to carry a firearm made before 1900". My main questions are:

1. Can an individual who does not have an unrestricted LTC concealed carry an antique weapon that an expert can testify was made before 1900 anywhere someone with an unrestricted LTC could carry?
2. If yes, are there any notable differences between someone with an unrestricted LTC concealed carrying a firearm and someone concealed carrying an antique weapon? For example, could I conceal carry a loaded antique weapon?

If you are able to get an unrestricted LTC, generally there would be no benefit to concealed carrying an antique weapon. Given that many towns in Massachusetts only issue unrestricted licenses in limited cases, I feel like a concealed carry antique weapon could be a strong alternative to moving to another town. Although people generally think of very old guns like flintlock or percussion pistols when it comes to antique weapons, there are some potentially noteworthy options such as revolvers or even semi-automatic pistols (i.e a Mauser C96) made before 1900.
Ah yes the notorious Jefferson-McConnico-Gadson et al. family.
Liquarry C. Jefferson's son Liquarry A. Jefferson (age 8) was shot and killed by his cousin using an illegally-possessed gun belong to Liquarry (A.)'s half-brother Jayquan McConnico in 2007. His mother, Lakeisha Gadson, notorious welfare queen and Grove Hall hell raiser, initially lied to the police about Liquarry (A.)'s untimely death.
Apparently we the taxpayers in MA had shelled out over $300,000 in one year alone to keep this miserable family around.
Some light bed-time reading can be found here:

That's Federal law

Minimum Age Restrictions

Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1)).

I knew a <21 person that wanted to get some .45 Long Colt ammo; in case they were questioned, knew that it was for a Winchester '73.

I'd second the advice for taking some Krav Maga classes-- you should have that basic knowledge even if you rightfully carry a firearm down the road with your LTC, and if you are seriously fearing for your safety some mace.

I have a acquaintance who got jammed up carrying his great grandfather's antique firearm because waiting for his LTC was "taking forever". He was pulled over and volunteered the information that he was carrying it, the cops asked him out of the car and charged him with carrying without a license, he argued that it was an antique but they told him it didn't matter. Knowing this guy, when he was pulled over he launched into a spiel about the length of time his LTC was taking, his rights to protect himself, 2A, all of that. His mouth got him in trouble.

He ended up needing to be bailed out, faced court time, had a lousy public defender and after two appearances the charge was dismissed but not without a loss of a lot of time and energy. I don't know how the LTC thing worked out because after all this he and his wife packed up and moved to Montana.

Not worth the hassle if you aren't planning on leaving this constitutionally challenged state soon.

If they want, the police will punish you with the process. Cops have arrested people on charges they know won't win in court. Even if it doesn't go to trial, the damage to your wallet and personal life could tremendous.
I know someone who's life was temporarily ruined for years after being arrested on bogus charges.

The charges were tossed out as the entire arrest was ruled completely unconstitutional, however, the persons name was dragged through the mud, they lost their job and security clearance, lost their ltc and can't get it back, and continue to be harassed today by the cancel culture twitter crowd.

Cops definitely play "f*** around and find out" with your life. It ain't worth it.

If they want, the police will punish you with the process. Cops have arrested people on charges they know won't win in court. Even if it doesn't go to trial, the damage to your wallet and personal life could tremendous.
I can attest to this, basically a year of dogshit unrelenting pressure being held over my head for some SERIOUS bullshit.

Hello, I am an FID holder with a question regarding antique weapons. I have already looked at the existing threads in this forum, but I wanted to clarify a few things regarding concealed carry of a loaded antique weapon.

For background, in Commonwealth vs. Liquarry C. Jefferson and Leslie Burton-Brown, the Supreme Judicial Court declared that "A person does not need a license to carry a firearm made before 1900". My main questions are:

1. Can an individual who does not have an unrestricted LTC concealed carry an antique weapon that an expert can testify was made before 1900 anywhere someone with an unrestricted LTC could carry?
2. If yes, are there any notable differences between someone with an unrestricted LTC concealed carrying a firearm and someone concealed carrying an antique weapon? For example, could I conceal carry a loaded antique weapon?

If you are able to get an unrestricted LTC, generally there would be no benefit to concealed carrying an antique weapon. Given that many towns in Massachusetts only issue unrestricted licenses in limited cases, I feel like a concealed carry antique weapon could be a strong alternative to moving to another town. Although people generally think of very old guns like flintlock or percussion pistols when it comes to antique weapons, there are some potentially noteworthy options such as revolvers or even semi-automatic pistols (i.e a Mauser C96) made before 1900.

I've randomly seen "Redcoats" wandering around Boston carrying RIFLES (well, flintlocks, anyway) and nobody gives them a second look.

Have you considered dressing like a reenactor carrying a period correct pistol?

I couldn't find a suitable image in the 27 seconds I dedicated to the purpose, but basically this, only with a pistol:

1648235503236.png

It could possibly work with the women, too.

Back
Top Bottom