"Antique" double shotgun, information needed please!

Hello all,

I've only posted few times here, but I don't know any other forum to find this in.

I recently acquired a double barrel shotgun. It is labeled "London Fine Damascus" and "Samuel Buckley & Co". I have googled both terms and found next to nothing. If anyone knows any information on this firearm it would be greatly appreciated!

It needs to be cleaned up but I don't want to touch it for fear of ruining something really nice... though I sure would love having it shine on my wall!

Sean

SNC00073.jpg

SNC00064.jpg

Welcome to the forum Duck Hunt, that's nice old shotgun you have there.

From teh interweb:
Damascus or twist-steel barrels are made by layering alternate strips of steel and iron then welding them together. The strips are then twisted until they resembled a screw, three of these wound strips are then welded together, wound around a steel mandrel, then welded and hammered into a barrel tube. Laminated steel barrels are a bit different. They start with a ball of steel and iron that is then hammered into long strips and twisted, then, like their Damascus cousin, wound around a mandrel, welded and hammered into a barrel tube. Inherently, these barrels are quite strong, and many best-quality Damascus barrels pass nitro proof. However, because of the iron content and welded manufacture, twist barrels have a propensity for rusting within the barrel material. Added to that is the fact that these guns were primarily used with non-corrosive priming, and are therefore potentially honeycombed with weak spots.

IIRC these were designed for use with black powder shells. Even low brass target loads may damage this. I second the motion of having a competent smithy give your boomstick the once over.

Another good place to inquire is shotgunworld.com Post it in the ID and Value forum. The guys there are very knowledgeable. They'll even tell you if it's safe. Prob not though.

Hey, thanks everybody!

I will ask around more where you all suggested. I have no plans on firing it, I unfortunately may be forced to sell it since money is a bit tight :-(

But if I can, it'll be a keeper. Thanks again!

Sean

theres a guy in kittery, I cant remember his name at the moment, but he deals with "fine" quality and antique double barrel shotguns almost exclusively, he can definately get you the info your looking for. I'll see if I can track down his name but there arnt to many in that area to begin with.

the guy who runs "The Library" @ Cabela's in scarborough in INCREDIBLY knowledgable about antique shotguns (according to what he told me, antique SxS's are his passion).

if you're anywhere near Maine, cabela's is worth a trip (if nothing else, just to drool over their massive inventory)

Yup, those Damascus barrels simply aren't safe with modern loads. I wouldn't shoot it if I were you.

If the gun is indeed English made and has London or Birmingham Proof House marks for nitro loads, it IS safe to shoot with CIP-spec smokeless cartridges.

Your blanket statement is not accurate.

Seriously, take it to a good gunsmith and have him check it out. I have several and have taken turkeys with a 12 ga. and geese with a 10 ga. Check chamber length with a guage as they are usually shorter. I loaded 2 1/2 inch 12 ga. myself and shot 2 turkeys. I only use black powder. I bought 10 ga. 2 7/8 inch black powder shells with bismuth shot and shot geese. Got them here: www.republicmetallic.com/SHOTSHELLS.html

For safeties sake, let it be a wall hanger unless you get it tubed. You can fire all the low power, no power, slim power or whatever loads in it and live, it only proves that it didn't blow up THAT time.

It could also be a Webley Pryse too. Samuel Buckley & Co was like Abercrombie & Fitch, they private and co labeled shotguns.

I believe you can get steel sleeves for it that will convert it to a size down to safely shoot. So 12Ga could be converted down to a 16Ga or 20Ga.

Don't shoot modern loads in damascus barrels.

Back
Top Bottom