• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

anouther 'what to buy' thread

I've finally decided enough is enough and I am buying a 1911. My question
-new 'cheap' rock river with now with lots of ammo and quality holster
-wait for a decent c&r one to pop up here or at the LGS (and wait bit to build up cash instead of plastic)
-mid to high end new and just buy it as a range gun (no cash left for holster and piles if ammo)
-find a double stack (havnt tried one yet but I don't see the size as an issue)
-others?

there's a few series 70 colts popping up recently. a few not too out of line pricewise. others though...watch out, bend over an spread 'em!

That's like saying you want to buy a car - big difference between a Prius and an F450. What do you want this 1911 for? History - get a WWII Remington Rand (most affordable GI pistols). Shooting a ton - get an RIA or spend a bit more for a Ruger. Nicer gun - plenty of options from S&W, Colt, and high-end makers. Carry - Glock.

That's like saying you want to buy a car - big difference between a Prius and an F450. What do you want this 1911 for? History - get a WWII Remington Rand (most affordable GI pistols). Shooting a ton - get an RIA or spend a bit more for a Ruger. Nicer gun - plenty of options from S&W, Colt, and high-end makers. Carry - Glock.

Mostly I just want a 1911 in 45 because everyone should have one. I would probably keep it looking mostly GI looking so if I wanted to 'blend in' at a ww2 event I could... I love the history of them but dont feel a need for real c&r (though if I find a deal, I'm game).

Planning on a gov model with the 5" barrel so the only carrying I'll be doing is open...

Everybody seems to love the Ruger. Well except for the rust and he sights falling off. [rofl]

But they'll make it right, right? ...

Mostly I just want a 1911 in 45 because everyone should have one. I would probably keep it looking mostly GI looking so if I wanted to 'blend in' at a ww2 event I could... I love the history of them but dont feel a need for real c&r (though if I find a deal, I'm game).

Planning on a gov model with the 5" barrel so the only carrying I'll be doing is open...
I have been waiting for that deal on the WWII era 1911......... So far I have just bought a few SW1911s I got a great deal on the "bill Board" model used. the one with the large roll stamp on the side of the slide. Also picked up a used model with laser grips and white dot sights for about 500$.....
friend grabbed a AO 1911a1 on impulse and its been very good. http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Reviews2001/combat-handguns.asp

For the record: WWII-era Remington Rand is NOT the same as the current production Remington. The former are classic history GI pistols; the latter are utter junk, from my experience.

For the record: WWII-era Remington Rand is NOT the same as the current production Remington. The former are classic history GI pistols; the latter are utter junk, from my experience.

Junk ? Perhaps.

I have no experience with them, but passing the rigorous testing the Mass Roster requires must say something ?

Rock Island for budget 1911. otherwise sig 1911. Any model you like. Since you are in Taunton, checkout Gartman Arms they have great 1911 selection and are closeby.

as per above, I owned a remington R1 enhanced w threaded barrel. It was a fine 1911 especially for the price. IMO the Ruger needs work out of the box. Mushy safety, rust is almost guaranteed, sights are almost always off....no thanks.

Last edited:
I suspect you'll get lots of opinions from people that have only shot one brand of 1911 and therefore thats the best 1911. Can't go wrong with a lightly used, mid-range brand name pistol.

I just found this info on the HSC website:

That's pretty much what I expected but I figured chances were better-than-average to find somebody who has a 1911 collection or some such who can give me a good unbiased opinion. I'll probably just end up getting the most expensive new one I can and still afford a decent holster and some ammo. I probably wouldn't go used unless it's a C&R.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Think you meant Rock Island?
The guy's over at Battlefield Vegas (huge Indoor range in Vegas) Said for 1911's they like Rock Island Tac's since they hold up better than the rest. They should know as they have all brands there to rent.

Squib is right as usual, Gartman has a great selection of C&R 1911's and a full range of new stuff for you to compare.

If you're a member of Taunton Rifle and Pistol and want to try a Smith you're more than welcome to put a few through mine.

Thanks for the offer. I'm still a member but living down in Dartmouth right now so I don't get up there too often (today was supposed to be a range day, but family had other plans)

Think you meant Rock Island?
The guy's over at Battlefield Vegas (huge Indoor range in Vegas) Said for 1911's they like Rock Island Tac's since they hold up better than the rest. They should know as they have all brands there to rent.

For some reason I always say rock river instead. I never even bought any of their stuff so I don't know why it's stuck in my head.

I consider the Smith & Wesson E-series guns to be the best 1911's that are generally available in Massachusetts. Unlike most other S&W 1911's, they are a series 70 type gun. They have no series 80 or Swartz type safety. Not having those safeties makes the gun simpler, and with the standard titanium firing pins in the E-series, they pass drop safety tests.

I do not think the E-series guns are beautiful, but the fish scale serrations on the slide have slowly grown on me. The base model steel frame full sized E-series gun can be found for well under $1000. You do not need to spend $1200 on a scandium frame gun to get the E-series features.

The E-series guns also have a wider external extractor which is not used on most of the production S&W 1911s. I believe it is used on the Performance center guns. For more info about the extractor, review this article about the 1911 extractor test.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=131

The 1911 extractor test is somewhat controversial. Some people think it is irrelevant. But I respect that the people who designed this test have forgotten more about 1911s than I will ever know.

I do not consider myself to be a fanboy for the E-series guns, but I am aware of what is available in Massachusetts. In a wider market, there are other brands I would consider.

If you really want the GI look, then unfortunately the choices in Massachusetts are limited. I think the Rock River may be a good value. But I do not have enough experience with it to be sure.

I would also add that I am an RSO for my club. I talk to a lot of shooters when they are getting started with new pistols. And I have seen new 1911 pistols of every common brand that needed to be sent back to the factory. The tolerances to build a good 1911 are fairly tight. And every company is cranking out guns to meet demand. Quality control has suffered across the industry, and I cannot point to any brand which is immune to this problem.

Good luck in making your choice. Whichever one you choose, you will enjoy shooting it.

Kind of surprising to hear that. I have had one for a couple years now, with no problems so far. I may have only about 1 k of ammo though it though. Still happy with it.

OP - What's your budget?

Look at the Sigs. Target model is nice. A buddy just bought one at Cabela's. I have a TTT bought in 2012 and love it. Super reliable. Accurate. Standard ight sites. Front & rear grip serrations.

OP - What's your budget?

Look at the Sigs. Target model is nice. A buddy just bought one at Cabela's. I have a TTT bought in 2012 and love it. Super reliable. Accurate. Standard ight sites. Front & rear grip serrations.

I'm willing to do $750 (maybe 800) but don't feel the need to go crazy because my hipoint is a more accurate gun then me so I should spend the money on ammo instead...

Kind of surprising to hear that. I have had one for a couple years now, with no problems so far. I may have only about 1 k of ammo though it though. Still happy with it.

I have had my Remington for several years and have not had 1 problem with it.
The Remington rand brand is not related to the present day Remington. They were actually a typewriter company that was recruted to do manufacturing for the government. The singer sewing machine company also manufactured guns for the government

RIA tactical 2.
imagejpeg

I am having this dilemma on getting a Springfield Stainless 9mm range officer , and sell my glock 21 to get one .. cause they look so pretty

Junk ? Perhaps.

I have no experience with them, but passing the rigorous testing the Mass Roster requires must say something ?

I carried a Remington Rand as my backup weapon in Nam and have owned several new Remingtons. The Remington may have passed the Ma. drop test because it didn't fire when dropped, But then, "not firing" is not a very good standard to use as a guide line for a protection weapon. Yes, the Remington has the same three safeties that the Remington Rand has, but it's no Remington Rand. If you want to test the Remington practically, and for surety that it will protect you, drag it through mud while holstered, let it be rained on for days, deny it cleansing and oil on an ongoing basis, until rusted, then point shoot and repeat until the magazine is empty. The Remington Rand will continue to function. Good luck with the Remington.

Last edited:
I am having this dilemma on getting a Springfield Stainless 9mm range officer , and sell my glock 21 to get one .. cause they look so pretty

I have a 5", stainless, 9mm, Springfield you can try if you like. I like it, but wouldn't sell my Glock 21 to get one. Just my .02 cents.

Game over...
Walk into the LGs end they talked me into eighties vintage Springfield and Colt 1911. Got a decent deal and a whole stack of mags with it so I'm happy

Back
Top Bottom