Another "carrying while pulled over" thread

Well I was specifically asked this question by my instructor for my Firearms Safety Course (What do you do if pulled over?). I responded that you tell him/her that you have a LTC and are carrying a weapon, he responded that it's better to not say anything at all unless asked whether or not you are carrying any weapons- he then went on to tell a story of a cop he knows who would rather have people not state so unless asked because it creates a lot more paperwork for him and he has to go through the entire process of having to confirm the validity of the license and the gun. So, I don't know that anybody's provided any solid statute saying that it was mandatory to reveal whether or not you're carrying but from what I was told by a seasoned instructor who knows a lot more than I do, it's best to only answer the questions you're asked (this obviously would be a for a typical traffic stop, not if you're evading police for a criminal act)

These "pulled over while carrying" threads can be summarized into a few different classes of response:

-Those who say you should always notify

-Those who say you should always notify because of the ruse that it might
get you out of a ticket. (Fat chance, IMO, but people still believe this for
some reason. )

-Those who say you should only notify if the law requires it.

-Those who say you should only notify if the law requires it or you are
asked about firearms, or asked to get out of the vehicle.

-Like the above, but have had a bad experience with a LEO to back this up... (eg, gun stuck in ear, dragged out of
car, muzzle swept by own gun during a disarm, etc. )

-LEOs who tell you don't do it unless law requires it (Because it might spook
some leos that don't get ccw very well )

-LEOs who tell you to ALWAYS do it regardless.

Oh, and almost forgot:

-Those who excoriate individuals for not doing it.

-Those who excoriate individuals for doing it when it's not required.

Pick one or more than one of the above, push BLEND button. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Just like the whole whether or not to carry with a round in the chamber discussions...

Just like the whole whether or not to carry with a round in the chamber discussions...

"But, But.... if my hand is injured I can rack the slide of my gun using the heel of my shoe!!!!" [wink]

-Mike

I'm a member of 1911forum, and I caught this thread started by another MA resident. Read through it if you like, it's interesting to see what others around the country consider standard procedure if pulled over.

One guy in particular got me and some others on a rant.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=225152

Good lord that thread has some brutal Misinformation, mainly because people don't realize it differs between states

These "pulled over while carrying" threads can be summarized into a few different classes of response:

some reason. )

-Like the above, but have had a bad experience with a LEO to back this up... (eg, gun stuck in ear, dragged out of

Oh, and almost forgot:

-Mike

[laugh2]Now ya just gotta number the reasons so next time this topic comes up we can simplify communications, cut to the chase so to speak.

Geeze Mike, there you go making me look up words. [rolleyes]
Haven't had to do this since He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named got himself banned (again). [laugh]

excoriate
One entry found.
Main Entry: ex·co·ri·ate
Pronunciation: \ek-ˈskȯr-ē-ˌāt\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): ex·co·ri·at·ed; ex·co·ri·at·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin excoriatus, past participle of excoriare, from Latin ex- + corium skin, hide — more at cuirass
Date: 15th century
1 : to wear off the skin of : abrade
2 : to censure scathingly

some reason. )

Oh, and almost forgot:

-Mike

Simply Perfect. +5 - 4 +3

A question about proper etiquette

When stopped in your car while carrying is there a certain rule of thumb one should go by. I would figure the LEO that stopped would be alerted that you have a LTC when running your plates. So when asked for licence and registration should you also present you LTC and notify the LEO there is a weapon in the car? What do the LEO's here expect and appreciate in this situation?

e666b06897ea.gif

Did you search? this question has been covered quite a bit.

The question comes up often enough, as there is no great answer for it. Its a crap shoot and depends on what type of officer is going to pull you over.

Here is the most recent thread on the topic to give you an idea. Click here

I don't tell LEOs anything they don't ask of me, nor do I give them information that I know I'm not required to tell them.

Everyone here says dont tell unless they ask, or tell you to get out of the car. I agree with not blurting it out unless asked, but whats the deal with this if asked to get out of the car thing?

Everyone here says dont tell unless they ask, or tell you to get out of the car. I agree with not blurting it out unless asked, but whats the deal with this if asked to get out of the car thing?

If you get out and then if the gun prints you run the risk of the LEO freaking out because you're carrying and didn't warn him/her.

Given the stats on traffic stops for LEOs (the most dangerous part of their job) I don't blame them.

My stock answer: "Every single law enforcement officer I have come into contact with has told me the same thing: "Don't offer the information unless you're asked." Letting an LEO know you have a weapon the instant he gets to your car can set the otherwise calm transaction on it's ear. Sometimes people in times of stress will announce they have a gun to get a reaction, (sometimes deadly - "suicide by cop") out of a law enforcement officer. If asked, my friends in law enforcement have told me to say somethings along the lines of the following: "Officer, I have a license to carry and am currently armed". Keep your hands on the wheel and do not reach for your wallet to shot the officer your LTC - just follow his instructions from there, which may be not much at all.

Probably a couple of reasons:

1) If you are asked to exit the vehicle the odds of your firearm being noticed increase dramatically. The LEO will be looking at you closely and is far more likely to notice any weapon printing or visibility then the average civilian you encounter.

2) Chances are that if you are asked to leave your vehicle the situation is going to escalate beyond a routine traffic stop. If you wind up being frisked things could get interesting. [wink]

At least that's my reasoning. I only would volunteer the information that I was armed under those scenarios, or if asked directly by the LEO. If I was asked I would also be curious as to why he asked. If I am carrying concealed and it's a minor incident, there is no need to inform the LEO. As many other have said here: "concealed means concealed."

My stock answer: "Every single law enforcement officer I have come into contact with has told me the same thing: "Don't offer the information unless you're asked." Letting an LEO know you have a weapon the instant he gets to your car can set the otherwise calm transaction on it's ear. Sometimes people in times of stress will announce they have a gun to get a reaction, (sometimes deadly - "suicide by cop") out of a law enforcement officer. If asked, my friends in law enforcement have told me to say somethings along the lines of the following: "Officer, I have a license to carry and am currently armed". Keep your hands on the wheel and do not reach for your wallet to shot the officer your LTC - just follow his instructions from there, which may be not much at all.

My sentiments exactly.

http://www.masscops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71373&highlight=traffic+stop

A poll on masscops.com indicates that 3/4 of LEO's either want immediate disclosure that an individual is armed or they feel that disclosure isn't necessary but would be appreciated. Some of the responses are interesting.

Still, if I was stopped for something minor, wasn't asked about the LTC & wasn't asked to step out of my vehicle, I don't think I'd volunteer anything beyond what might happen during any normal traffic stop.

e666b06897ea.gif

Did you search? this question has been covered quite a bit.

+1...

FWIW, I merged this thread with the extremely recent thread, which I found by typing in "traffic stop" in the search bar. [grin]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom