Another 870 Thread (HD)

Well, I want to pick up an 870 this week. I've had my heart set on this shot gun for a while, and now that I am home for the summer, and will be living off campus next semester, I've decided to go for it. I had an amazon gift card and have a Knoxx stock on the way (have used them a couple times and I feel much more comfortable, more so because of the pistol grip, with that setup vice a standard shotgun setup).

Apparently people do not want to part with their "home defense" profile 870s so I will be going for something new. What is a fair price to pay for an 870 express with a full length mag and 18.5 inch barrel? FS has one listed fore 340, plus Remington has 30 dollar rebate on top of that, and for a new 870 that seemed like a fair price to pay. They also are not far, and well reviewed on this site. I am fully open to suggestions though.

I was looking between the express tactical and the standard express and the only difference appears to be the tacticool rem-choke (which honestly I don't like) and the ghost ring sighting setup and rail. I wouldn't mind the sights but they aren't worth 110 bucks to me. If anyone knows of someone that sells the express with something other than the bead sight for around the same price I'd be interested in taking a look. This is more or less a keep it simple stupid, home defense, SHTF, shotgun that I plan to have until I die, so I'm not going for optics or anything like that, those can go on my AR. In time it may get a light, and possibly a side saddle (though I don't really like those, I'd be more inclined to just keep a bandoleer next to it) Again, any input greatly appreciated.

Mike

I have found that FS prices are some of the best you will find. If they have what you want, I'd say grab it there or call around to different shops within driving distance armed with the FS price.

Sounds good, I'll give them a call tuesday.

I was doing some reading and there were some complaints about the bead sight with the knoxx stock, can anyone speak to that?

Mike

Sounds good, I'll give them a call tuesday.

I was doing some reading and there were some complaints about the bead sight with the knoxx stock, can anyone speak to that?

Mike

Its a home defense gun, I'm not sure you'll be using the bead sights much if someone kicks in your front door. I have an 870 with the bead sights and a knoxx. You just have to keep your cheek back so it doesn't get caught in the shock absorber thing. I have not had a problem. I put a flashlight/laser combo unit on the front of mine with pressure switches so I don't plan on using the bead sight regardless but I practice with it just in case.

Bottom line is your still able to be effective with it within 25 - 30 yards with your defensive loads though, right?

I don't mine paying the extra 120 bucks one time to get something that would be more effective. It just seemed to me that the ghost rings were more apt to be damaged, and apart from that unnecessary. Also, I have heard some people prefer the bead sight for fast acquisition of targets at close range.

This isn't a slug gun, it isn't a hunting gun. It will be strictly for defense, CQB, practice, etc.

Mike

I dont mean to tell you not to get an 870 but you can pick up a new mossberg for around 200 or so and used for about 100 bucks and it will do the same job as the 870, and it would be easier on the wallet. Just think about it you have the safety up top on the back of the reciever so you dont have to take your finger off the trigger and same goes for the location of the slide release, it can also be used without much effort. With a surefire forend and nice thick soft buttpad you're set to go

but maybe im just a fan of mossberg but either way both are great guns.

I've used both, and I am going with the 870 mainly due to wanting to put a pistol/stock on it. I love the safety on the mossbergs when running a normal stock though. I had the opportunity to shoot one with a knoxx stock yesterday and the controls just felt a little more clumsy with that setup. The slide release, safety, etc. It's something I am going to buy and own forever, so I'm not to worried about spending a little more to have what I want, I just don't want to go crazy.

Mike

Ended up picking one up at FS for 360 including tax. I had a gift card for amazon so I picked up the knoxx recoil reducing stock. This thing makes a huge difference, even with slugs (though you have to watch out for cheek slap).

DSCN2051.jpg

Happy customer... now to find something else to obsess over

Mike

could always grab a laser/light, ghost rings, heat shield, side mounted shell carrier, etc.... Zombies and criminals fear tacticool accessories ya know.

BubbasTacticalShotgun.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to find a 20 Gauge Reminton in a Home Defense set up. It's more than adaquate for my small home, and I don't like beating myself up at the range practicing.

I actually considered getting the non-recoil-reducing stock just so it would be more fun to shoot. Something satisfying about the response you get when firing off a slug :D. The Knoxx stock, as I will say again, makes a HUGE difference. I could shoot slugs all day with it.

Mike

Ended up picking one up at FS for 360 including tax. I had a gift card for amazon so I picked up the knoxx recoil reducing stock. This thing makes a huge difference, even with slugs (though you have to watch out for cheek slap).

DSCN2051.jpg

Happy customer... now to find something else to obsess over

Mike

Nice! I still think a Pardner d.b. gun would have been cool though.

I'd like to find a 20 Gauge Reminton in a Home Defense set up. It's more than adaquate for my small home, and I don't like beating myself up at the range practicing.

If you want to try mine with the Knoxx stock (12 ga, prior PD gun from ZHA) I think you'll change your mind. You know how to reach me if you want to do this.

I actually considered getting the non-recoil-reducing stock just so it would be more fun to shoot. Something satisfying about the response you get when firing off a slug :D. The Knoxx stock, as I will say again, makes a HUGE difference. I could shoot slugs all day with it.

Mike

What Mike said!!

I tore my rotator cuff and heavy recoil can leave me in pain for a week. I can shoot the Rem 870/Knoxx with slugs or 00-buck all day long (or until wallet is empty) with no pain.

This thing really does work as advertised.

I have had an 870 for a while and used it lots and it was always 100% dependable then out of nowhere I couldn't get it to lock into battery. I had taken everything apart and couldn't see anything wrong inside. A friend looked at it with me and noticed that the big nut that holds the front stock that you pump had backed off some and that was the only problem. If you haven't done so already I recommend some lock tight on those threads.

Picked up a Fenix TA20 at Zero Hour, and rail mount (awesome light BTW), and I want to get a 2 inch section of rail to screw onto my forend. Where can I pick one of these up/order it?

Thanks,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom