• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

870 field master experiences

Peterse!

NES Member
Does anyone have any experience with the new 870 field masters they replaced the 870 express, I’m curious about how good they are and if the are worth the money I shoot a lot of sporting clays and want a gun that holds up for high volume shooting serious inquiries only please

Attachments

• 71476307756__257E068B-7193-43E0-B0ED-A2FAEE83F68C.jpeg
    71476307756__257E068B-7193-43E0-B0ED-A2FAEE83F68C.jpeg
    886.9 KB · Views: 34
Not sure I want any "new" remingtons at this point. I did purchase a 50s Remington 11-48 which represents the only Remington shotgun I own. At 200$ and never a hickup its one of my "high volume" shotguns next to my Benelli M1.
For more money than a Benelli Nova I see no purposefor an 870. I'm pretty sure I would take a mossberg 500 or 590 before one as well. Sorry remington

If you like 870s, I would spend a little more and buy an old Wingmaster (that will last longer than all of us.) I have both a 12 and 20 set up for skeet. 1969 and 1971, respectively. They're fantastic guns.

I personally would not rely on a Fieldmaster for high volume shooting. In the interest of full disclosure, I've never shot the FM. Just handled them a few times.

Last edited:
What do you consider a lot? and High volume?

I think when they started to put plastic trigger guards on is when things started to go down hill, Mossberg dose the same thing now, Both are still good guns and will probably do everything you ask of them new or old

Not sure I want any "new" remingtons at this point. I did purchase a 50s Remington 11-48 which represents the only Remington shotgun I own. At 200$ and never a hickup its one of my "high volume" shotguns next to my Benelli M1.
For more money than a Benelli Nova I see no purposefor an 870. I'm pretty sure I would take a mossberg 500 or 590 before one as well. Sorry remington
I picked one up in 20 ga. I already had an old Wingmaster and an express both in 12 ga. It is actually pretty nice. The only thing, and it might just be me. But when i get a new gun i like to take it apart and clean and oil the bolt assembly and the mag tube. Getting the bolt back in took me a bit. And i cut up my fingers a bit. The 20 ga frame is smaller and my fingers were too big to get the little tabs you have to press to get it in. And/or it was not as nicely machined as the old ones. But it shoots and feeds fine. You probably wont have that problem if you get a 12ga.

Can't really speak to how it holds up with high volume, but I bought one a few months ago and I really like it. Definitely better than my buddies 870 express from 10 years ago that wouldn't cycle.

I shoot trap with it once or twice a month and I've taken it out for pheasants as well and I'm really happy with it.

What do you consider a lot? and High volume?

I think when they started to put plastic trigger guards on is when things started to go down hill, Mossberg dose the same thing now, Both are still good guns and will probably do everything you ask of them new or old
Every Sunday I shoot sporting clays year round sometimes skeet during the week

I have a 500 and an 870. The 500 is late 60s, early 70s vintage and the 870 is from mid 90s. Both are great and run any ammo I have fed them. Hard pressed to say which one is better than the other.
I have a 500 and an 870. The 500 is late 60s, early 70s vintage and the 870 is from mid 90s. Both are great and run any ammo I have fed them. Hard pressed to say which one is better than the other.
When the company filed for bankruptcy a few years a new company bought them and I guess upgraded the 870 express to what they now call an 870 field master so I was curious if anyone had direct experience with the field masters I know a lot of guys have had issues with the express, thank you for the comment though and keep me posted if you hear any new information on them

I much prefer the Mossberg's safety and slide release locations, infinitely better ergonomics imho. Also new Mossbergs are good quality; new Remingtons not so much so you'd want to find a nice used one.

I much prefer the Mossberg's safety and slide release locations, infinitely better ergonomics imho. Also new Mossbergs are good quality; new Remingtons not so much so you'd want to find a nice used one.

The Mossberg has better wood and fit, finish than the 870. The 870 is a Magnum Express and while it is totally functionally it looks cheap.

I have a 1972 Remington 1100 that is just plain beautiful. The wood is great, the fit and finish are there and the receiver is engraved.

The Mossberg has better wood and fit, finish than the 870. The 870 is a Magnum Express and while it is totally functionally it looks cheap.
A lot of the older 870 express Guns where sold by Walmart, Kmart and other store chains, I was told years ago of a way to tell by a letter in the serial, those guns where made to lower standard to meet the store price point.
Still May be better than what is available today

I love 870s, that being said, there are a decade worth of freedom group crap that needs to be avoided at all costs, I have handled a few of the new production post freedom group 870s and thankfully they all seem to be of decent quality again

The 870 is a great gun however the newer guns newer meaning in the last 12 years are not like the earlier 870 guns. My advice is get an older used 870 it will a lot more gun then the new and newer ones.

A lot of the older 870 express Guns where sold by Walmart, Kmart and other store chains, I was told years ago of a way to tell by a letter in the serial, those guns where made to lower standard to meet the store price point.
Still May be better than what is available today

As far as I know there was no difference between the 870s at big box stores and everywhere else given one exception. For a short time Remington produced a Sam Walton Commemorative version that as expected was sold only in WalMart. Not sure how accurate that is other than I remember reading it on Shotgun World website when I selling off some of my Dad's shotguns after he died and I was trying to find out some info on them and what they were worth.

Get a 500, it's superior in every way I can think of.

I guess it's a personal thing, but I've NEVER felt that any 500 I've touched had a smooth action. It sure is pound-nails durable, but it always hiccups on me. Whereas the 870 is always butter smooth (and not as sturdy of an action - but I'm not fighting in the trenches with it).

As far as I know there was no difference between the 870s at big box stores and everywhere else given one exception. For a short time Remington produced a Sam Walton Commemorative version that as expected was sold only in WalMart. Not sure how accurate that is other than I remember reading it on Shotgun World website when I selling off some of my Dad's shotguns after he died and I was trying to find out some info on them and what they were worth.
I read about it back in the late 90’s when I bought my first 870, Big box stores buy direct from the gun companies and can down grade the kind of wood, sights, etc…. Action, barrel, bolt Is identical. Take it for what it’s worth, it wasn’t specifically about Remington 870 just guns sold in general by those stores

So 5-10 k rounds a year, the money spent on ammo far surpasses the cost of a Remington pump gun, Ever consider an OU
No I have a beretta 686 sporting model and a couple benelli shotguns I’m curious about the pump

I read about it back in the late 90’s when I bought my first 870, Big box stores buy direct from the gun companies and can down grade the kind of wood, sights, etc…. Action, barrel, bolt Is identical. Take it for what it’s worth, it wasn’t specifically about Remington 870 just guns sold in general by those stores
I have no reason to doubt what you say. My data is from Shotgun World in a discussion forum so take it for what it is worth ... second hand non-verified data.

Back
Top Bottom