• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

An actual sentry gun

A friend just sent this to me. Pretty cool stuff from South Korea.

http://www.gizmag.com/korea-dodamm-super-aegis-autonomos-robot-gun-turret/17198/

korea-dodamm-super-aegis-autonomos-robot-gun-turret.JPG

If there's one place you don't want to be caught wandering around right now, it's the demilitarized zone that separates North and South Korea. Especially since South Korean military hardware manufacturer DoDAMM used the recent Korea Robot World 2010 expo to display its new Super aEgis 2, an automated gun turret that can detect and lock onto human targets from kilometers away, day or night and in any weather conditions, and deliver some heavy firepower.

<snip>

The Super aEgis 2 is an automated gun tower that can find and lock on to a human-sized target in pitch darkness at a distance of up to 1.36 miles (2.2 kilometers). It uses a 35x zoom CCD camera with 'enhancement feature' for bad weather, in conjunction with a dual FOV, autofocus Infra-Red sensor, to pick out targets.

Then it brings the pain, either with a standard 12.7mm caliber machine-gun, a 40mm automatic grenade launcher upgrade, or whatever other weapons system you want to bolt on to it, including surface-to-air missiles. A laser range finder helps to calibrate aim, and a gyroscopic stabilizer unit helps correct both the video system's aim and the direction of the guns after recoil pushes them off-target.

Each 140 kg (308.6 lb.) unit can be rigidly mounted or put on a moving vehicle, where the gyro stabilization would be a huge asset. They can operate in fully autonomous mode, firing first and asking questions later, or they can be put into a manual mode for more human intervention. All machines communicate back to headquarters through a LAN cable or wireless network.

The Super aEgis 2 is an automated gun tower that can find and lock on to a human-sized target in pitch darkness at a distance of up to 1.36 miles (2.2 kilometers). It uses a 35x zoom CCD camera with 'enhancement feature' for bad weather, in conjunction with a dual FOV, autofocus Infra-Red sensor, to pick out targets.

thats a little scary.... wont even hear the shot that blows you to peices lol

Pretty cool.

I would bet that, given the CWIS and CROWS hardware we already have, that automation isn't that far of a leap for us either, if we wanted to do it.

How long before someone figures out to throw a flare and let it unload itself?

That may or may not work. The article specifically mentions "human-sized targets", so it might be able to distinguish the difference between a small, intense heat source and an actual person. Then again, this is all speculation on my part.

That may or may not work. The article specifically mentions "human-sized targets", so it might be able to distinguish the difference between a small, intense heat source and an actual person. Then again, this is all speculation on my part.

I wonder if they could be tripped with cardboard cutouts and heating elements?

If the cameras are IR it would be possible to saturate them, rendering them useless.

I wonder if they're vulnerable form the sky.

Back
Top Bottom