ammunition stored separately

7 years, two months and 19 days!

Ah but it seems so so far away. I always appreciate a thread pre obama. The air smelled sweeter, the water cleaner... We have less than 1000 days left until our moron in chief leaves.

I prefer to see gravedigging over 14,000 threads asking the same question. I give ejmboston kudos for doing a thorough search to find what he needed rather than running straight to "start a new thread". Although at first, I was suspicious when I saw the "great thread, thanks for the info" because that's the generic line that spammers use as their first post before they go bananas with spam, but he gave a bunch of relevant info afterwards.

I don't have an objection either way... I'm just marveling at it!

Laws haven't changed (yet!). This information is still as good as the day the thread started.

BINGO! Spot-on.

I prefer to see gravedigging over 14,000 threads asking the same question. I give ejmboston kudos for doing a thorough search to find what he needed rather than running straight to "start a new thread". Although at first, I was suspicious when I saw the "great thread, thanks for the info" because that's the generic line that spammers use as their first post before they go bananas with spam, but he gave a bunch of relevant info afterwards.

Exactly, if info is still valid it is dumb to advocate adding more threads with same question/answers. Some of us that respond to these legal issues with valid info hate the need to keep repeating ourselves.

Saw a lot of threads with the same questions but most of them had members saying this is old news refer to these threads... so I did and here I am !

WELCOME! And thanks for being a good, thoughtful member here!

I bought a [sheet metal] "gun cabinet" when we lived on the third floor. When we moved, I added shelves and use it for ammo storage.

With the price of ammo these days I should probably put the ammo in the safe and the guns in the cabinet!

With the price of ammo these days I should probably put the ammo in the safe and the guns in the cabinet!

Thats the truth.

Old office filing cabinets make nice basement storage. Many places have gotten away from storing paper so can sometime get for nothing. We could barely give them away when we moved our office.

I quote all laws in my powerpoint WITH references so students can look it up on their own time if they don't believe me... So many instructors (including the one who did my course to make me an instructor) talk out their ass.

Mike

Thats the truth.

Old office filing cabinets make nice basement storage. Many places have gotten away from storing paper so can sometime get for nothing. We could barely give them away when we moved our office.

And filing cabinets fit 50 cal ammo cans like they were made for them. I picked up a couple last year that have worked great for ammo storage.

So basically store ammo the same as you would gunpowder? I keep my ammo in a steel job box left over from my construction days, but this makes me think twice. I understand you're point about a potential bomb, I think about this a lot. Say, instead I stored my ammo in a closet and it gets exposed to direct flames, would it go off sooner than if stored in the steel container? There would be a lot of variables in a real fire so who could predict what exactly would happen, good topic..

Walter....

Drill some 1/4 inch holes in it.

There is much debate about the "right" way to store
ammo. IMO a heavy safe is pretty much overkill. I use a plastic rolling
toolbox (one of those huge stanley jobs) for most of my ammo...

Problem is I've been finding it inconvenient. (its a PITA to reach into the
tub to get stuff at the bottom of the tub rather than just having shelves in a
cabinet.)

I've been thinking of going to the locked closet method or building a
locking plywood cabinet with shelves in it.

-Mike

I originally stored my ammo that way too, and like you found it to be a pain because what I wanted never seemed to be convenient to get! I ended up just buying a bunch of ammo cans and separating ammo types into their own respective cans, and then just put a strip of masking tape with "what" caliber is inside, that way I don't even have to open the cans to find exactly what I need. All of the ammo cans are just stored in a locked closet just because I have kids in the house. I also try to store as much ammo as possible in mags, which saves a bit of space too.

If you are involved with DCF in any way, such as you are a foster parent or adopting through them, they have interpreted MGL as saying that not only do the firearm and ammo need to be locked in separate containers, they must also be locked in separate rooms. I showed our adoption worker the actual MGLs and she said their lawyers said that wasn't the law... even though it was a print out of the MGL from the state's website. Oh and that the law states locked up guns also need trigger locks... I had to buy a dozen of the damn things, put safes in two different rooms, AND keep my paintball guns in the safe AND paint balls in the separate ammo safe!

Ammo storage is covered under CMR's. Specifically 527 CMR 13.04 (1) (e). You can store ammo with guns just NRA recommends seperating the two. Exempt quantities are explained there also.
10,000 rimfire, 10,000 centerfire, 5000 shotshells 1000 primers etc.

(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

Last edited:
I store my ammo and accessories (xtra mags, loaders, cleaning equipment, etc) in a lockable filing cabinet that I bought at a yard sale for $20. I plan on adding some dividers to make it even more organized.

Top drawer is the accesories, 2nd drawer handgun ammo, 3rd drawer rimfire, 4th drawer centerfire rifle ammo. I'm OCD and get a real kick out of organization. If I run out of room I'll spend another $20 at a yard sale and double my capacity.

I don't understand why people spend so much money on stack on storage containers, those things are a huge rip off IMO. They also scream, "hey there's either guns or ammo in this cheap, easy to pry open cabinet!" to would be robbers.

Great thread thanks for the clarification I just got my LTC and was concerned if I needed to have my gun locked up separately from the ammo ! , looks like get a big enough gun safe and keep it all locked up together ! now I just got a figured out my 1st purchase ....

Buying a big safe to store ammo is wasteful and unsafe.

By putting ammo into the safe you are taking something that is combustible and making it explosive.

Buy some kind of plastic lock box and store the ammo in there.

Remember, that while we have an ethical obligation to keep firearms out of the wrong hands, ammo is different. You stated you have a 5 year old. Assuming that he/she is beyond putting things into his or her mouth, ammo represents zero threat to a child.

So comply with the law. But don't sweat the small stuff.

If you've got the money to spend on a safe, then get a better quality safe rather than a larger safe. Remember, your first responsibility is to keep the FIREARMS out of the wrong hands. Spend your safe budget on that.

Assuming that he/she is beyond putting things into his or her mouth, ammo represents zero threat to a child.

I disagree. Bullets aren't guns of course, but they represent a hazard to inquisitive minds. They should be treated like other hazardous categories like chemicals, sharp instruments, power tools and the like.

For example...

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomane...after-putting-real-bullet-in-toy-gun/23915292

I know as a young child I found a .22 and beat the snot out of it with a hammer in a garage until it went off.

So comply with the law. But don't sweat the small stuff.
That's good advice I can agree with! Not because it's the law, but because your ammo should be locked away from kids.

I find 2 things are pretty good for ammo. One of the cheap double door gun "cabinets". Pretty cheap and they can hold quite a bit. They generally lock with a key and are pretty good storage. This is what my main ammo storage is, plus a couple of over flow guns like mosins and air rifles that don't fit in the safe. Do I think that any resourceful 10 year old can't get into it, no I don't, but it works well for ammo at least. As for the guns that don't fit in the safe, I'll likely need to remedy that one day soon but it is legal. 4 drawer lockable filing cabinets are good and can be found cheap but in the end really don't store a lot of ammo due to the configuration. I guess that depends on each persons definition of "a lot" of ammo.

One of these may be a good option if the shelves are sturdy. You can always use the bottom 1/3rd for stacking ammo cans and lighter things up on the higher shelves. Things like mags, lower receivers, or anything else you want locked up.
Capture.JPG

I disagree. Bullets aren't guns of course, but they represent a hazard to inquisitive minds. They should be treated like other hazardous categories like chemicals, sharp instruments, power tools and the like.

For example...

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomane...after-putting-real-bullet-in-toy-gun/23915292

I know as a young child I found a .22 and beat the snot out of it with a hammer in a garage until it went off.

That's good advice I can agree with! Not because it's the law, but because your ammo should be locked away from kids.
[pics]

Seriously though, what happened when it went off?

I originally stored my ammo that way too, and like you found it to be a pain because what I wanted never seemed to be convenient to get! I ended up just buying a bunch of ammo cans and separating ammo types into their own respective cans, and then just put a strip of masking tape with "what" caliber is inside, that way I don't even have to open the cans to find exactly what I need. All of the ammo cans are just stored in a locked closet just because I have kids in the house. I also try to store as much ammo as possible in mags, which saves a bit of space too.

When I have students get all tweeked up over it I ask them if they own a suitcase? then, does it lock? There ya go

A few key words from that article.

freak accident
non-life threatening injuries.

Maybe I over stated my point. I tend to get worked up about MA folks obsession with locking up anything that has to do with firearms. Ammunition is for the most part inert. Its primary danger to children is as a choking hazard. Based on a logical examination of the risks it poses to children, it deserves to be treated with no more caution than say a bottle of bleach.

Firearms are in an entirely different category. But legally, in MA, safe storage of firearms and ammunition fall into the same category.

My ammunition is stored in compliance with MA law.

My firearms are stored with FAR FAR greater security than is required for compliance with MA law.

[pics]

Seriously though, what happened when it went off?

I remember it fairly well. Fortunately I suppose I started my worthy experiment on the side and the projectile had become flattened and more securely lodged. When it went off it was loud and the projectile got squeezed out a bit. Fortunately any shrapnel (if there was any) did not strike me. It was inside a tiny two car garage so it was pretty darn loud, I'd guess.

Not as loud as the pipe bomb I stupidly made with match heads (complete with a line of match heads as a fuse). Probably a good thing I didn't have a box of .22s around to disassemble for the powder. :-D

I am amazed I survived childhood with some of the things I did before the warning/danger and self-preservation circuits kicked in.

http://www.southpeacenews.com/newsdesk/volume43/050706/news2.html

I don't believe that incident involved a handful of 22 shorts in a campfire. More likely a few rounds in some kid's pistol.
I dunno, I get shot I'm probably naming names. But you could be right. 2 injuries is a bit, but randomness sez random things happen.

They do sometimes produce some level of hazard; I saw a demo vid (probably linked to from here) of ammo being burned in various amounts and they put some drywall nearby and it was getting peppered a bit.

I haven't searched further yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a jones to do that.

ETA: Thinking about it, I don't know that loose rounds in the fire would launch the projectile, the peppering was probably done by the casings. So now I'm leaning towards your theory! But who knows.

Last edited:
http://www.southpeacenews.com/newsdesk/volume43/050706/news2.html

I don't believe that incident involved a handful of 22 shorts in a campfire. More likely a few rounds in some kid's pistol.

These aren't children.

If a 17 year old is dumb enough to do something like that, they deserve what they get. They should not have to be protected from themselves.

In this case, the victim was a bystander.

My offer still stands. And just to make things a bit more specific, by children . . I mean children.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

I dunno, I get shot I'm probably naming names. But you could be right. 2 injuries is a bit, but randomness sez random things happen.

They do sometimes produce some level of hazard; I saw a demo vid (probably linked to from here) of ammo being burned in various amounts and they put some drywall nearby and it was getting peppered a bit.

I haven't searched further yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a jones to do that.

ETA: Thinking about it, I don't know that loose rounds in the fire would launch the projectile, the peppering was probably done by the casings. So now I'm leaning towards your theory! But who knows.

Randomness says that some adults get hurt every year by throwing bullets into fires also.

My point is that ammunition is not something that children need to be protected from gaining access to. At least no more than something like Bleach.

When i was a kid, I had a 22-250, a 44 magnum, and a 30-06 bullet on display on my dresser. They were (gasp) live ammunition. I never tried to beat them with a rock and I never threw them into a fire.

My point is that ammunition is not something that children need to be protected from gaining access to. At least no more than something like Bleach.
That's pretty much the same category I put it into.

When i was a kid, I had a 22-250, a 44 magnum, and a 30-06 bullet on display on my dresser. They were (gasp) live ammunition. I never tried to beat them with a rock and I never threw them into a fire.
You were smarter than I was. :-D

I concede! I've looked around and I can't find any stories of children killed by loose ammo. Even stories about injuries are hard to come by. The only place I'd like to search are the .gov's diagnosis code database... which is going to get ridiculously specific in the next couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom