• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammunition Sales Soar in Response to Coronavirus Panic

I also agree that a spike in ammo sales is likely not just covid-19 precautions. I know I just picked up a few k in various calibers to ensure I have enough training ammo to ride out an election year dry spell if we get one. It had nothing to do with covid.
One hand washes the other though. Tinfoilers see dow crashing because wuhanflu, think it will make Trump less of a lock by proxy, they think that commiescare 2020 is already on....

Why?

That makes no sense......

These are "Good Times" for gun owners

They have been, but the democratic front runner is making more and more noise about firearms. At least Bloomberg is out. But if you were not thinking last year about what supply and demand is going to be like as we get closer to the election, you are already behind the curve. As the general gets closer, unless they are calling it a lock for Trump, I would expect to see prices jump and supply disappear again.

The milsurp gluttony was over right around 9/11......

Besides.....the overwhelming majority of rifle ammo let alone almost all 308 was all berdan primed.....and even the last of that on the market (South African BP's) were going for almost 400/k and was pretty hot for milspec......what little could be found mid way thru shrubs presidency

All of the commercial ammo of that era was way north of 50/rnd for anything in the 30 cal family....except for cheap steel cased wolf ak food.
Lol no, you're so far off base on this it's not even funny. Milsurp was f***ing -great- well into the bush administration. @Greg and other FAL guys around here are going to laugh till it hurts reading your post.

I'm not going to go FR here but you got ripped off. Nobody i know paid 400 bucks for a case of SA milsurp.

Why?

That makes no sense......

Prices post Trump election 2016 have been lower than at any point in time since before the AWB went into effect in the 90's

QUALITY, Selection and PRICES of AR parts has been nothing short of spectacular

There's been an explosion in long gun options.....queue up 338 magnum and 6.5 kardashian comments....

556 had been hovering at over 330/k for more than a decade then dropped well under 300 for a long time

308 was upwards of 65-70/rnd for all of oblunders occupations.....its now under 50/rnd

These are "Good Times" for gun owners

If those were the prices you were paying during the time period you suggest, you were getting raped lol

What "commie state" were you living in where you paid those prices ?

Does this mean there are twice as many ARs than .22 in US? or that preppers like .40?
Winchester Bonded .40 is under half dollar a round and it is premium performing ammo given the FBI used it for decades. However, who is to say that it's traditional preppers who are buying it? Unless .40 sales were stupid low before and it's just people who have .40's have finally decided now is a good time to stock up, it could be LEO's privately buying the ammo to have more on hand.

Winchester Bonded .40 is under half dollar a round and it is premium performing ammo given the FBI used it for decades. However, who is to say that it's traditional preppers who are buying it? Unless .40 sales were stupid low before and it's just people who have .40's have finally decided now is a good time to stock up, it could be LEO's privately buying the ammo to have more on hand.

Funny you mention that my carry load of choice when i had a .40 was the 165gr DEA Ranger T load... tested well, from what i remember

Some of this could be the ripple effect of WalMart getting out of the ammo business.
I think some of it is that, at least on centerfire pistol... their stiff pricing established a market floor, and they bought so much ammo it kept the factories spun up....

Funny you mention that my carry load of choice when i had a .40 was the 165gr DEA Ranger T load... tested well, from what i remember
The 155 and 165 grain .40 stuff has more energy than the 180 grain ammo, but the 180 grain .40 is generally less snappy because it's not loaded as hot.

Normally I like lighter weight hollow points like 115 gr 9mm, 200 grain .45 ACP, but for .40 and 10mm, I prefer the heavy bullets.

If those were the prices you were paying during the time period you suggest, you were getting raped lol

What "commie state" were you living in where you paid those prices ?

Happy fun thought, friend of mine in CA bought one of the last cases of SA milsurp you know who sold, and it was well under 400 for 1440 rounds. I think he still has most of it
because he lives on the peninsula and it's a pain in the ass to get anywhere to shoot his SOCOM.

-Mike

The 155 and 165 grain .40 stuff has more energy than the 180 grain ammo, but the 180 grain .40 is generally less snappy because it's not loaded as hot.

Normally I like lighter weight hollow points like 115 gr 9mm, 200 grain .45 ACP, but for .40 and 10mm, I prefer the heavy bullets.

I don't like 180s in .40 at all because they're pretty much nerfed. The POI gets wonky and sucks, too. (depends on gun, load, etc. really only matters at longer distances). 180s are nerfed in 40 because its too easy to hit the pressure limits. Lol different strokes I guess, for 9mm I prefer 124-135 for carry, for .40 its 165 exclusively (if I ever carried it again), 10mm I'd use 180s because you could push them faster, .45 I shoot 230s exclusively, since most of the guns are designed around that bullet weight to begin with.

-Mike

I don't like 180s in .40 at all because they're pretty much nerfed. The POI gets wonky and sucks, too. (depends on gun, load, etc. really only matters at longer distances). 180s are nerfed in 40 because its too easy to hit the pressure limits. Lol different strokes I guess, for 9mm I prefer 124-135 for carry, for .40 its 165 exclusively (if I ever carried it again), 10mm I'd use 180s because you could push them faster, .45 I shoot 230s exclusively, since most of the guns are designed around that bullet weight to begin with.

-Mike
With 10mm I'm seeing that the 200 grain JHP's are seemingly built for the high velocities that 10mm gets. The Hornady XTP 200's work perfect at 1200 fps.

“Coronavirus Panic!”
I cant believe we’ve come to this... of all the NES pants shitting.

you guys need to unplug from the fake news for a bit.

For the noobs that think 1000 rounds is a lot.
buy more , especially if you like to shoot.
I enjoy shooting so I always have a good supply of 22lr to get through those tough times.
A good way to stay on top of your supply is at least buy 2x as much on Fri day that you plan to shoot on sunday . So on your way home you by 200rounds and on Sunday you take the 100 round s already in inventory .
you refresh your inventory plus 1.

I enjoy shooting so I always have a good supply of 22lr to get through those tough times.
A good way to stay on top of your supply is at least buy 2x as much on Fri day that you plan to shoot on sunday . So on your way home you by 200rounds and on Sunday you take the 100 round s already in inventory .
I got about 2800 rounds of 7.62x39 left and debating on pulling the trigger on a case from TSUSA...

Bought like 3000 rnds of 9mm today. Some shops are showing a slight stock depletion but others still have a bunch. I don't think we're in full panic yet but I was like eff it, getting it while i have cash.

“Coronavirus Panic!”
I cant believe we’ve come to this... of all the NES pants shitting.

you guys need to unplug from the fake news for a bit.

It's not us, the market did it before this thread was posted. I don't think ncov bullshit is the only factor but rather a whole bunch of things at once in play. Watch everything will dissipate in a month or so... then itll go FR again in November. [rofl]

It's exactly how I did it(although I'd hit the shop 3x a week on average) during the Obama years, it was crazy how fast and deep my round count got to where it was. I suppose not being limited on purchase amounts given I don't own anything in 9 or 5.56 helped some. What's better is every now and again I stumble upon ammo cans I forgot I had. [laugh]

For anyone just getting into shooting, take to heart the info being relayed in this thread. Ive only been shooting around 10 years myself. Started off buying what I planned to shoot, had little to nothing put away. Lived through a couple of panics where certain calibers were nowhere to be found. What was in stock was at horribly inflated prices. Literally double or triple what its at now. That was if you could find it.

The common calibers sell out first, starting with the brands that are in the highest demand. This simultaneously spills over to reloading components as well, which go oos in the same manner- popular brands first. At one point I had stopped shooting because I had almost nothing at the house and there was nothing to be found anywhere except at full blown AIDS prices. I remember talking to a kid at the ammo counter who told me he had bought a pistol 3 weeks ago and still hadnt shot it because the shop where he bought it at was out of that caliber of ammo and he hadnt been able to find any at that point. He had bought the gun weeks ago and really didnt even know if it even worked or not. I cringe when I see what a certain brand of middle of the road 22lr is selling for now compared to when I bought it prior to the 2016 election.

Buy more than you shoot and build up a stash. Think about how often you shoot and how much you would need to have on hand if you werent able to buy anything for a year or two. Same with reloading components. Set aside what you can and buy something monthly/weekly, even if its just a handful of boxes. Let it build up to get you through the lean times that WILL eventually come.

Sorry for the blog post but just dont want people to get caught off guard. Once a panic hits, it can happen overnight.

It's not us, the market did it before this thread was posted. I don't think ncov bullshit is the only factor but rather a whole bunch of things at once in play. Watch everything will dissipate in a month or so... then itll go FR again in November. [rofl]
Anyone who's looking to buy insurance ammo prior to the election better be done buying well before Nov

The flip side to this is that when shit gets retarded on one front there are usually opportunities on others.......good reason to shoot 3 gun for ex.....rifle and other ammo may dry up but thats an opportunity to focus on shotgun......or 22 or whatever there's avail supply of
This is true. I remember there being no real lack of shotgun ammo and also 17HMR. Think I remember people saying there was plenty of 40 to be had but Ive never owned anything in 40 so cant say for sure. Im sure the trap fields were busy back then.

This is true. I remember there being no real lack of shotgun ammo

When ammo was pretty much totally unavailable, there was, especially 00. there was someone on here who like 6 months after everything was impossible to find posted a "where did all the ammo go?" thread. Everyone mocked him for having had his head in the sand for that long.

He had just taken a defensive shotgun class and shot the last of his defensive ammo thinking he could buy another couple cases no problem. Which also made everyone ask him why he would not buy before he shot the last of the ammo he uses for home defense.

As he said he had nothing left I offered him a box of 25 Federal 00 buck for what ever the sticker on the box said.

He countered with I should give him a case as he was already signed up for another class. At that point I stopped talking to him.

When ammo was pretty much totally unavailable, there was, especially 00. there was someone on here who like 6 months after everything was impossible to find posted a "where did all the ammo go?" thread. Everyone mocked him for having had his head in the sand for that long.

He had just taken a defensive shotgun class and shot the last of his defensive ammo thinking he could buy another couple cases no problem. Which also made everyone ask him why he would not buy before he shot the last of the ammo he uses for home defense.

As he said he had nothing left I offered him a box of 25 Federal 00 buck for what ever the sticker on the box said.

He countered with I should give him a case as he was already signed up for another class. At that point I stopped talking to him.
WTF? [laugh] He had some balls

Even in the darkest days, there was not a shortage of .40 if I recall. It's like the green gumdrops that are always left over in the bowl. I personally would never buy any firearm in .40 because I'd be afraid I'd load a 9mm in by mistake. I had a friend who loaded a .380 into a 9mm, and that's why I don't have .380 anymore either.

Back
Top Bottom