Ammo/supplies cost

I honestly can't believe how much supplies and ammo are going up. Thank God I'm reloading now. I was at FS today and Winshester Small Pistol primmers were $26.95 a box!!! Bullets prices everywhere are getting up there just as bad. I bought a box of 500 rounds of Fed x193 for $175 at FS! It was $4.99 for American Eagle a few months ago... ouch. I decided to try out some Wolf .223 since it was only $4 a box of 20. .45ACP is around $15/50 everywhere although Collectors has Ind .45ACP for 12.99/box- which is the best I've seen anywhere lately.

If I get into shooting .223 more I might consider reloading that as well. Are you guys surprised more aren't reloading now? Even with high component costs it's better than paying the crazy prices for commerical ammo.

i just bought the same 500rd xm193 brick at FS's and i blew though it all sunday morning..
I cant afford a 175.00$ a day habit..

Last edited:
Really thinking of changing to another hobby, this is getting out of hand reloading or not ammo $$$$ are to much for putting holes in paper.

The prices are absurd.. a large part of it is because of the increased
cost of transportation but the lions share is the spike in the price of
copper, among other raw materials.

The .223 "problem" is due to high global demand of that caliber.... its
a supply/demand thing... eg, federal is cranking out as much as they
can and most of it is going to the troops, there is no overruns and less
time for civilian production. PMC's are also buying craploads of ammo
as well.

I won't stop buying ammo, but I definitely am planning on getting a
reloading setup going in my basement. Much of it is due to cost
savings but I'm really more interested in making customized loads. Until
that gets going I just end up shooting a bit less.

-Mike

If you don't mind dealing in large quantities, you can easily beat that price buying online even when you factor in shipping and hazmat.

At least the price increase for loaded ammo and/or bullets is explainable... but primers?!?

The ammo prices are getting ridiculous. Makes me wish I had started hoarding ammo back when buying certain calibers of loaded ammo was a lot cheaper than reloading it (I am glad though that I've saved about 75% of the brass from the past 5-6 years).

Primers are still $22.00 at Rileys.

The WW 147 FMJ 308 that were $12.50 are now $15.50 per hundred. Buying in bulk is the only way to keep cost down. I'm looking into bulk purchases through the club.

At least the price increase for loaded ammo and/or bullets is explainable... but primers?!?

The ammo prices are getting ridiculous. Makes me wish I had started hoarding ammo back when buying certain calibers of loaded ammo was a lot cheaper than reloading it (I am glad though that I've saved about 75% of the brass from the past 5-6 years).

It all has to do with the volatile metals market. Even primers.

Maybe one of our free friends in NH can start a group buy and have it shipped there? You can put me down for a can or 2 if it happens.

Hard to do in MA, due to the AG.

Yep- that and the 5000 primer and 28lb powder limit from the local FD.... the powder limit is fine (and it doesn't seem to be going up in price) but the primer limit sucks. No limit on bullets though.

One other theory:

There are only three suppliers of primers to the US civilian market:

Federal
Winchester
Everyone else put together (Magtech,CCI,Fiocci,PMC)

CCI primers are much harder and not all that popular. Fiocci, MagTech and PMC primers are relatively hard to find.

Just about all major distributors have been out of Federal for a year.

What would you do with your pricing if your only major competitor for a commodity suddenly was not a player in the market?

Capitalism is a good thing,except in this case.Dealers and the suppliers are taking advantage of the panic IMO.Dealers in MA are taking advantage of the fact that there aren't a lot of places that ship to MA.AIM has 1K round of 7.62x39 for $149.00,if you lived in Ohio(I think AIM is in Ohio) and can pick it up,that's what it costs.Suppliers are taking advantage of the panic and in turn raising the prices to the dealers.

Yet the same ammo is marked up in most cases $25-$50 around here.

IMO ,yes there is some sort of supply problem for certain calibers,but a lot of it is dealers taking advantage of the supply to MA.I'll bet if given a vote,dealers were more than willing to support the mail order ammo ban here in MA.

I don't fault dealers here trying to capitalize and make a buck..Then again I haven't bought ammo here in MA for quite some time because it WAS ALWAYS more expensive here.

I was buying XM193 for $85 a case at Rileys,while Four Seasons was ALWAYS a lot more expensive,$125 + Same thing with Guat,AIM had it for under $6 a box shipped not too long ago,while FS was $7.50+..Why ? It certainly wasn't demand,it was Supply to MA that made it more expensive.

Again,I don't blame the dealers for wanting to capitalize on the AG's decision and make a buck,that buck just isn't going to be mine.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question - but where is Riley's? It seems from some of the postings in this thread that they have decent ammo prices - I have been stocking up lately and if their prices are decent a trip might be worth my while.

Is there such thing as a reloading class or clinic? I've been looking at my records, and I was shocked to see that I've already spent more on ammo than I spent to buy some of my guns. I'd like to get into reloading, but I'm a little hesitant - it's not something you want to screw around with, in my opinion. If someone who's experienced in the process would be willing to teach a bunch of us newbies how to reload, it would definitely be worth a couple of dollars to me.

Also, what is the status of bulk purchases on the forum? Does anyone know where we can get a deal on a large purchase (10k+ rounds) of a common round (.223, maybe). Maybe a place in NH can cut us a good deal, and we can drive it back to Mass and split it up. Any thoughts?

Actually, a couple of folks here on the forum took a class from Dennis at AG Guns and Ammo in Lowell MA. From what I recall, they enjoyed the class, and got a ton out of it.

Adam

I was one of them. I don't have lot of friends (outside of the ones I've met here of course!) that are into shooting so I had no idea what reloading was like. We got to go thru all steps with a single stage press. I actually bought the same one the Dennis used and still use it even though I've moved onto a progressive since. Good stuff. I'd also encourage you to have someone nearby show you theres.. it's cheaper. ;)

Back
Top Bottom