• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo storage

After reading this thread I was inspired. Since the commercial solutions were flimsy or expensive, I made my own from semi finished plywood and two bies. It is 40" wide and 85" high and 24" deep.

The shelves are 3/4" semi plywood left over from another project as well as the two bies. Hardware is hidden to look better and discourage disassembly with simple tools. As secure as a flimsy steel one at least. Still need to put the back on and the hasp to make it all legal. And it will hide my sump pump.
It's a beast no flex in the shelves I can load it up. Finally all my ammo will fit in one place. For now 🙂

20220505_080133.jpg 20220505_080237.jpg
20220505_080306.jpg

20220505_080133.jpg

After reading this thread I was inspired. Since the commercial solutions were flimsy or expensive, I made my own from semi finished plywood and two bies. It is 40" wide and 85" high and 24" deep.

The shelves are 3/4" semi plywood left over from another project as well as the two bies. Hardware is hidden to look better and discourage disassembly with simple tools. As secure as a flimsy steel one at least. Still need to put the back on and the hasp to make it all legal. And it will hide my sump pump.
It's a beast no flex in the shelves I can load it up. Finally all my ammo will fit in one place. For now 🙂

View attachment 612123View attachment 612124
View attachment 612125

View attachment 612123
Nice! That’s probably what I should do. I already have a plywood cabinet like yours, filled. It was one my dad made years ago for storing tools and stuff. Maybe I ought to see if he can lend me his saws etc to make one.

I have that same slop sink in my basement. Got it from HD right? 😂

View attachment 612123View attachment 612124
View attachment 612125

View attachment 612123

you had me until "sump pump"....

nice though.

Not water collection it is there in case of flood.
Basement runs dehumidifier 24x7. Most of the space is finished.

The unthinkable happened last night with me.

I actually ran out of room for factory made cases of ammo.

Probably going to pull it all out from the cabinets and rearrange things again.
In Mass, for me the bugaboo is the Buckits O' Boolits.
I have to stack them in the safe -
can't use the Harbor Freight ammo cans.
22996ed5f30e35c76413682a400dbd99.jpg

In Mass, for me the bugaboo is the Buckits O' Boolits.
I have to stack them in the safe -
can't use the Harbor Freight ammo cans.
Boolits? Typo maybe?

Anyway, after doing to some pulling out and rearranging, I found the room. Discovered I have the additional room for maybe four more cases of stuff. Next two paychecks probably. It's amazing what a cup of coffee can get people to do.

But in the meantime Midway has $49 and free ship again, so I bought more Winchester LC made M855 along with an accurizing wedge. probably the only UTG product I ever purchased admittingly, heh.

I'm already prescribed quarterly rations of both Tramadol and Naproxen.

Tramadol I use sparingly when I can't take the pain any longer for my back. I'm in group two of Tramadol users. Group one doesn't feel a thing while group two wonders if they're ever going to leave this tunnel that they seem to stuck in. I don't know how else to explain it, but you're not high and completely functional yet your mind knows that some tomfoolery has taken afoot.

Is it true in MA, the fire department hates it when you store ammo just in the cans and original containers but as long as you put those cans and containers in a thin pine footlocker and throw on a $1.99 Job Lot combination lock on the hinge, can even sprinkle some tinder all over and around it, no problemo? Is it really about "fire safety" or "quick access"?

Is it true in MA, the fire department hates it when you store ammo just in the cans and original containers but as long as you put those cans and containers in a thin pine footlocker and throw on a $1.99 Job Lot combination lock on the hinge, can even sprinkle some tinder all over and around it, no problemo?
No.
Why do you ask?

I’m curious how well or easy it would be to install shelves on the stack on cabinets since it’s thin sheet metal. I realize the Amazon and HD is sheet metal too but they have a designed way of holding the shelves and to support 150+ pounds per shelf.
I’d like to have shelves so I don’t have to unload everything to get something on the bottom etc. But then again the cabinet is just going to get filled with x39 ammo 😂
I made plywood shelves and plywood supports at each side to hold them up. Ya just lose a little (3/8") at each side and you can load them heavy as you want. Used 5/8 ply for the shelves. No nails, screws glue or any drilling etc. needed...

Well the cabinet from Amazon arrived on Friday and assembled it tonight. No damage at all during shipping. This company actually uses thin steel brackets on 4 sides plus a wood/fiberboard on 2 sides, within the cardboard box. Literally no way it was going to be damaged.

It will definitely not keep a burglar out but it will keep kids out and satisfy the MA storage bs -which is all I’m trying to accomplish.

Fit like a glove in the corner of my basement next to my safe. Got it partially full of ammo 💪🏻
Finally!! 😂

No I’m not going to post photos of it with all the ammo inside 🤣 0C0A2E35-E05F-4E2E-A364-2D39FE2BF21A.jpeg 7BA8410B-62BF-4154-8155-20CB076E49CE.jpeg

Well the cabinet from Amazon arrived on Friday and assembled it tonight. No damage at all during shipping. This company actually uses thin steel brackets on 4 sides plus a wood/fiberboard on 2 sides, within the cardboard box. Literally no way it was going to be damaged.

It will definitely not keep a burglar out but it will keep kids out and satisfy the MA storage bs -which is all I’m trying to accomplish.

Fit like a glove in the corner of my basement next to my safe. Got it partially full of ammo 💪🏻
Finally!! 😂

No I’m not going to post photos of it with all the ammo inside 🤣View attachment 613491View attachment 613492
That extra shelf will come in handy. I actually had checked Amazon before I got the Home Cheapo cabinets and didn’t see these. Either I just missed them or they’ve added them since I looked. If I would have seen these, I probably would have gotten them just for the +30 lbs shelf rating and the extra shelf. Happy to see you come out ahead.

Finally!! 😂

No I’m not going to post photos of it with all the ammo inside 🤣View attachment 613491View attachment 613492
Am I missing the link? Bc that looks very functional depending on price.

That extra shelf will come in handy. I actually had checked Amazon before I got the Home Cheapo cabinets and didn’t see these. Either I just missed them or they’ve added them since I looked. If I would have seen these, I probably would have gotten them just for the +30 lbs shelf rating and the extra shelf. Happy to see you come out ahead.
I was going to email the seller to see if they sell extra shelves. Although I have enough storage in it for now.

Yeah I dunno if I’ll put 180lbs on each shelf. I think I got about 100 on each and it doesn’t seem to bend/flex much

Finally!! 😂

These shelves on Amazon arrived today and are an exact fit. For anyone who purchased this cabinet

Fire department says to keep your ammo in a thin plywood box, you can even douse it in gasoline but as long as there's a 2 dollar padlock on a hinge on it, you're good to go.

Fire department says to keep your ammo in a thin plywood box, you can even douse it in gasoline but as long as there's a 2 dollar padlock on a hinge on it, you're good to go.
I believe fire code requires a locking wood cabinet with 1 inch thick walls for storing smokeless powder but not ammo.

Yea I know you’re being funny lol

Back
Top Bottom