• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo storage

Several years ago I bought 3 stack on safes from Sports Authority for 80% off because they no longer had the combinations for them. I called stack on and they gave me the combos, not sure why they didn't as they even gave me the number to call. Ammo cams filled and stacked in each one. I was using the heavy duty file cabinets, but they didn't hold up.

Wait, do you hide the ammo in the tampon box or the tampons in the ammo box?
U0Z.gif

Where is the tampon storage thread when you need it :eek: [rofl]

NES delivers.

Last one I got I paid $245 for. They’re normally $350. They’re on sale right now for $263; with the recent inflation that might be the best you’ll get for awhile.

I like that they are ready to assemble. Since I keep my bulk ammo in my garage upstairs it would be difficult to bring a fully assembled cabinet this size up the garage stairs. Unassembled, I can just bring it up in pieces and assemble it there.

If you have a pickup you can have it delivered to the store for free and if you don’t mind driving to NH you can get it delivered to a NH Home Depot and get it tax free (even on a MA credit card).
These cabinets are on sale again. I snagged the 30 inch wide model just now.

Locks don't stop thieves but it is best to be able to show the cops a container with broken locks if your ammo gets ripped off. If not locked don't call them at all LOL.

I put the ammo boxes, deep storage stuff, into actual safes, in some cases under a shelf, under the guns. Basically it's valuable and no need to get to it easily.

The stuff I'm using just sits on a shelf in the open but I've been considering putting shelves in a gun cabinet, since I had one side of a 2 door cabinet unused, as a nice way to organize it.

It continues to amaze me as I read this how little ammo some people must have that they can store it in small containers and/or flimsy shelves or cabinets. I'm amazed that some of these plastic or sheet metal shelves and storage cabinets don't collapse under the weight. How little an amount of ammo are we talking about here??? :confused:

It continues to amaze me as I read this how little ammo some people must have that they can store it in small containers and/or flimsy shelves or cabinets. I'm amazed that some of these plastic or sheet metal shelves and storage cabinets don't collapse under the weight. How little an amount of ammo are we talking about here??? :confused:
The Husky garage cabinet I just bought will be my second cabinet for storing ammo and reloading components. My heavy duty plywood cabinet (which is essentially full) is much larger than the husky cabinet. With a baby on the way I'm trying to be proactive for my kid not getting access to ammo. The husky cabinet will most likely get filled since each shelf can hold 150 pounds - not exactly flimsy IMO. I know my plywood cabinet shelves are definitely overloaded. I installed some heavy duty screws/bolts to help support it as some of my shelves were bowing from the weight LOL. 3/4" plywood too

Don't be fooled.

I have some cheap file cabinets from Staples, I think they are rated for like 25lbs or something around that number. I have over 100lbs of ammo in them.

One of them was so heavy, the thing bent when I opened it [laugh]

They are not the tall file cabinets, these are around 24". I wouldn't put so much weight in a taller one.

That being said, you are right, most people here have no ammo.

Last edited:
I put the ammo boxes, deep storage stuff, into actual safes, in some cases under a shelf, under the guns. Basically it's valuable and no need to get to it easily.

The stuff I'm using just sits on a shelf in the open but I've been considering putting shelves in a gun cabinet, since I had one side of a 2 door cabinet unused, as a nice way to organize it.
Yeah Ideally I'd like a safe for storing ammo but just a PITA at the moment trying to get another safe into my basement. The Husky cabinet will do for now - trying to keep kids out and comply with storage regs etc. But for any burglar they'll bust it open

Yeah Ideally I'd like a safe for storing ammo but just a PITA at the moment trying to get another safe into my basement. The Husky cabinet will do for now - trying to keep kids out and comply with storage regs etc. But for any burglar they'll bust it open

I like the little, I want to say 12 gun, tractor supply safes, start around $400 but are sold for less on sale, weigh < 200 lbs so 2 guys and a 2 wheeler can get them up stairs, into tight spots. Of course you gotta bolt them down but takes the project out of it. Would be kinda perfect for storage of ammo.

I wouldn't want a safe for my ammo - waste of money and un-needed level of protection. I really like the metal storage supply cabinets. I think the best would be the large metal ones that are made to store flammable items, but those are expensive. Every now and then they pop up on CL for a good price.

I guess if you're worried about someone breaking in and stealing your ammo, then a safe may make sense.

These things would be perfect... I missed something similar a few months ago for $250

I wouldn't want a safe for my ammo - waste of money and un-needed level of protection. I really like the metal storage supply cabinets. I think the best would be the large metal ones that are made to store flammable items, but those are expensive. Every now and then they pop up on CL for a good price.

I guess if you're worried about someone breaking in and stealing your ammo, then a safe may make sense.
these days I think we more worried about the state breaking in and making a list of all of our "Violations against the Peoples Republic"

These things would be perfect... I missed something similar a few months ago for $250

In my mind, a small fire safe could easily contain $5,000 in ammo even at the prices we had a couple years back. A lot of ammo cans can be stacked in there at an average of say $250/each.

Theft could be a concern but also a typical fire that doesn't destroy an entire structure, especially if that safe isn't in a swimming pool in the basement when the smoke clears, may leave your ammo stash intact.

I don’t like to use a safe for ammo storage. Most decent safes have a heat seal around the door that expands in a fire do seal the safe so air can’t get in, no air means little or no fire inside the safe even if the temperature inside goes above the ignition point of paper. The problem with that is no air in means no pressure relief out. If ammo in a real safe gets to its ignition temperature, it will tend to over pressure and actually “explode” the safe (like it does in a chamber) rather than just burn.

I don’t like to use a safe for ammo storage. Most decent safes have a heat seal around the door that expands in a fire do seal the safe so air can’t get in, no air means little or no fire inside the safe even if the temperature inside goes above the ignition point of paper. The problem with that is no air in means no pressure relief out. If ammo in a real safe gets to its ignition temperature, it will tend to over pressure and actually “explode” the safe (like it does in a chamber) rather than just burn.

I don't know that i buy that but who cares if it explodes or burns? Isn't in a chamber so won't generate/accelerate a meaningful projectile, no living human can be next to it at those temps. Basically makes noise maybe, ammo is destroyed, and would be either way if things go that way.

I don't know that i buy that but who cares if it explodes or burns? Isn't in a chamber so won't generate/accelerate a meaningful projectile, no living human can be next to it at those temps. Basically makes noise maybe, ammo is destroyed, and would be either way if things go that way.
Could over pressure to the point where it blows up the safe. Enough shrapnel there to cause real problems for any firefighters in the area.

Could over pressure to the point where it blows up the safe. Enough shrapnel there to cause real problems for any firefighters in the area.

That doesn't sound like a real problem. Maybe straight powder, but individual cases, and packaged in different cases, I do not see it. Has it ever happened?

it is same brand i posted above but i went with bigger ones, just to dump stuff in them, label, and keep it on shelves for storage.
even got little gay locks for them. :)
Amazon product ASIN B08Z7WLS6WView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z7WLS6W

I was going to do what rumrunner posted. I think that's one of the best economical solutions there is. My problem is that I would need more than a few of those cabinets. Maybe that's not really a problem.

Back
Top Bottom