• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo storage

qwik88

NES Member
What’s every one doing for ammo storage? I don’t even have a ton of ammo and I’m running out of good places to store it

~$5 & a padlock or stack them in a locked closet (if you have to comply wit MA's nonsense).
Cheapest route you can go now than Plano storage cans are ~$11.

Clear:
Black:
Made in the USA too. I think these are Sheffield Company containers rebranded for a large Walmart contract.
See what I mean:

I keep all my ammo in various ammo cans. I mostly use the 50 cal plastic ammo cans. I also use some large MTM ammo crates. Most of the ammo cans have padlocks on them.

I keep all the ammo cans in a closet next to my safe. I added a bunch of shelves in the closet and it's only purpose to store ammo, reloading supplies. I installed weather stripping around the closet door and keep a few of those silica gel desiccant packs in the closet. I have a lock on the closet door.

I have about a half dozen of these. They stack nice and hold a lot.
MTM Ammo Crate

Don't laugh at these because they are the "Zombie" version. This is about as cheap as you will find these. I probably have around 20 of these.
MTM Ammo Can

The closet has a hollow core door. Breaking in is easy if a thief wants. The whole idea is to keep out kids, keep honest people honest and meet the letter of law as far as safe storage. I used to go the extra mile and padlock all my ammo cans but not any more. Too many padlocks and too may key and I was buying the locks in set of 8 keyed alike. If the closet is locked I'm OK with not having each can locked.

Last edited:
I lucked out. My IT department was dumping two server cabinets and I took them. 7 feet high, 18" deep, 6.5" wide, heavy guage steel, (16?). I have them against one of the walls in my garage. No backs to them, but doesn't matter - 'cause they're against the wall. I put reinforced shelves in them. The ammo cans of reloads are stacked on the floor inside the cabinet.

just stack 'em on the shelves i have in my reloading area. i put small pad locks on top of each stack so no one can say they aren't locked up. not advocating this would work for anyone else but it works for me. not trying to be silly but i don't waste what little brain capacity i have left sweating a thought out over it.

With a forklift. [thumbsup]

westwing.jpg

Mostly in the cabinets.

I keep a couple duffle bags loaded with ammo - loose in ziplocks and marked by caliber. Not much of my "SHTF" guns need magazines so having them loose is easier.

Once I get the press fired up and I'm happy with the recipe and the test firing I keep on loading until I can fill a 30 caliber ammo can. Two 30 cal cans fit perfectly side by side in one of my safes and I can fit a dozen or so in my small safe.

Job box with two pad locks
This.

I have a bunch of those.

Also, on Amazon, I bought a kit of 5 locks for ammo boxes, they require a small hole, easy to seal. I will be doing some of those this weekend.

This one. Not sure on quality.
Screenshot_20220307-114127_Amazon Shopping.jpg

the space between your wall studs...

Put a mail door at the top for deposits and a chimney clean-out door at the bottom for withdraws... FIFO
1646678448717.png

1646678668805.png
1646678751518.png

1646679194636.png shaktii-nuclear-missile-at-the-indian-armys-pokhran-test-range-in-rajasthan-gif.gif

I also hide ammo in Tampon boxes for discrete storage...

1646679989778.png

I do hear "WTF! Not again!" once in a while...

Last edited:
Whats the typical sales price when they go on sale?
Last one I got I paid $245 for. They’re normally $350. They’re on sale right now for $263; with the recent inflation that might be the best you’ll get for awhile.

I like that they are ready to assemble. Since I keep my bulk ammo in my garage upstairs it would be difficult to bring a fully assembled cabinet this size up the garage stairs. Unassembled, I can just bring it up in pieces and assemble it there.

If you have a pickup you can have it delivered to the store for free and if you don’t mind driving to NH you can get it delivered to a NH Home Depot and get it tax free (even on a MA credit card).

Back
Top Bottom