Ammo storage requirements

I remember reading somewhere, I thought it was here, about MA law regarding ammo storage. I think it had to do with the size of the container, wall thickness, etc. I keep my ammo locked up (as I do my guns that are not being used to personal protection at the time), but I don't remrmber the exact specs.

Any link to the law would be appreciated.

Thanks.

From what I read, unless I missed something, there are no storage requirements unless the ammo/powder/primers are not stored in their original containers. They list a wooden box with sides a minimum of 1" thinck, only if the powder is NOT stored in its original containers.

I didn't see anything, non-commercial or transportation wise, pertaining to special cabinets or lockers for ammo. I'll look over it closer, but I didn't see anything so far.

My eyes are glazing over on this one!

My Fire Chief prepared a handout and spoke at a gun club that shall remain nameless at my request a few years ago. Murphy's Law, I can't find a copy right now!

He highlighted the requirements. Since the CMR is some 54 pages long, finding what you are looking for may not be real simple.

But yes, I remember being shown by the Fire Chief in black and white where it said all ammo must be locked up. Sorry, but I can't point out where it was right now.

You can find all 50+ pages of 527 CMR 13.00 (95% of which deals with explosives rather than ammunition, primers and powder) here, at least until the state reorganizes their web site once again.

The relevant portions include 13.04 (Licensing Requirements) and 13.11 (Storage & Transportation)

Ken

I don't get your "eyes glazed over" comment, but here it is anyway.

Looking at the laws, I can only see where smokeless powder needs to be in a locked container with a wooden wall thickness of at least 1". Other than that, I cannot find anything that pertains to loaded ammo, except that the "cabinet" that they are stored in needs to be locked.

I'll talk to the State Fire Marshall in this area to clear things up.

Last edited:
LenS said:
My eyes are glazing over on this one!

My Fire Chief prepared a handout and spoke at a gun club that shall remain nameless at my request a few years ago. Murphy's Law, I can't find a copy right now!

He highlighted the requirements. Since the CMR is some 54 pages long, finding what you are looking for may not be real simple.

But yes, I remember being shown by the Fire Chief in black and white where it said all ammo must be locked up. Sorry, but I can't point out where it was right now.
57CMR13.04(e):

(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

Back
Top Bottom