• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammo shortage??

What am I doing lol! Just noticed the Prvi Partizan was down 8 more cases and was like 😮

Bought a case of that and another few boxes of Federal 9BPLE for the PC9 and AR9.

its normally good stuff , but lately I’ve been getting feedback about it blowing out primers I personally haven’t experienced this so it may be isolated to a certain lot number
Hmmm, like the primers are not igniting? I’ll gamble with it. I don’t think prices will stay low anymore. Although you are on the visit list!

Wow I know its gotta be NES. I seriously just noted depletion of 5.56 and the rest of the 9mm fmj within the last 30 mins.

Hmmm, like the primers are not igniting? I’ll gamble with it. I don’t think prices will stay low anymore. Although you are on the visit list!

primers popping out of the case, somewhat common problem on OCCASION with just about every brand it seems, likely due to poor or no crimp at the primer, a oversized pocket or unusually soft brass

don’t think I’d sweat it though

Instead of getting bent over and reamed I ended up buying only 2 boxes of Sig hollow point (same $$$ before price hikes) but when I tried to buy a double rifle case (they have on the website) they said they didn’t carry that item! The whole trip was a complete bust! Just ordered a double rifle case on amazon so hopefully it works out.

Anyone shoot the Prvi Partizan M855 5.56 and have feedback on it? I’m thinking of getting a case.

Ammo is flying out of warehouses and off shelves everywhere and you're "thinking of buying"? [laugh2]

When the train is already pulling out of the station, its not time to be thinking about boarding it.
Privi is very good ammo......don't think too long.

And for all the other picky ammo eaters, now is a good time to have a few cases of Wolf in any caliber on hand, even if YOU don't use it someone will and will pay to have it.

I only got my license a week ago so I didn't get a chance to stock up.... :(

At least rifles rounds seem to be much less affected.
PM me your address and a list of calibers you own. Eventually I'll get to a UPS store/depot and send a box of "samples" your way. May be a week, may be a month, but it'll go...

.22 is still a bargain. Just ordered some for < 4 cents around.
For those of you on this thread that were not around during the last shortage, .22 was going for $50 per box of 500. Seriously.

That's if you could find it. There was no .22LR at my local Wallyworld ever, for almost five years. I wasn't looking to buy, but was curious to see if they would ever get any in.

That should have been the wake up alarm for people.....but as always, some just refuse to learn.

I only got my license a week ago so I didn't get a chance to stock up.... :(

At least rifles rounds seem to be much less affected.
Dude the last ammoscare of 2012 was so bad the only ammo that you could find readily was oddball hunting rounds like 270 win or 35 rem. Even 30-30 was scarce......you could find some shotgun ammo fairly easily.....but there was NO 556 7.62x51 or 7.62x39 for almost a year and handgun cals forget it .......get that.......22lr was the first to go and the last to return.....almost a year of empty ammo shelves everywhere.

If you have a license now you should get what you can and stock up.

Last edited:
Got 600 rounds (400 7.62x39 and 200 .233, even though I don't own a .223 rifle yet) today at bass pro and some local shops, that was all I could afford. Skipped on shotgun ammo because already had 50 shells of various types.
50 shells of shotgun? You have a loooong way to go young Padawan. That's not enough for me for one Saturday at the trap range I usually shoot 3 rounds.

Just busting balls😬

But seriously......the election season this year will have bare shelves so buy what you can now or you'll be fondling your guns and not shooting them.

Let this be a lesson, assuming society normalizes between now and the summer, because there's likely going to be another ammo and gun buying frenzy around the election:

(1) Don't be dependent on one source for ammo;
(2) Know what a good price for ammo is - even if an outside vendor won't ship to Mass, know what a good price is;
(3) Learn what vendors will ship to you;
(4) Don't be afraid to buy or special order cases of ammo from local stores if you have a working, friendly relationship with the store;
(5) Consider handloading; and
(6) If you're on here, at least read through the threads once a week - we have like a dozen coronavirus threads ongoing.

get a good ammo app that tracks prices and buy whenever on sale. Live in a state that allows delivery. Done

I still have a few boxes of Winchester white box .22 from the last scare that I bought out of shear desperation. Worst .22 ammo ever. Maybe in a few weeks I can sell it for a few hundred dollars! Lol

That's if you could find it. There was no .22LR at my local Wallyworld ever, for almost five years. I wasn't looking to buy, but was curious to see if they would ever get any in.

That should have been the wake up alarm for people.....but as always, some just refuse to learn.

Dude the last ammoscare of 2012 was so bad the only ammo that you could find readily was oddball hunting rounds like 270 win or 35 rem. Even 30-30 was scarce......you could find some shotgun ammo fairly easily.....but there was NO 556 7.62x51 or 7.62x39 for almost a year and handgun cals forget it .......get that.......22lr was the first to go and the last to return.....almost a year of empty ammo shelves everywhere.

If you have a license now you should get what you can and stock up.

I remember having a class at SIG in NH around that time - couldn't find 9mm anywhere for the class and had to buy it directly from them - at $25/box of 50 IIRC
Class was definitely worth it, but that opened my eyes

You could always get a 40... [laugh]
I'd rather be counting on a 40 than 38 special or 380. I have a 226 and a 229 both chambered in .40. I also have 9mm conversion kits for both, that function perfectly. There is nothing wrong with .40. And nothing wrong with more options and choices.

So a few years ago I scored a deal on a few cases of 55gr Hornady FMJ 6000 count bullets for reloading. I distinctly remember it working out to 5.8 ct per bullet. So with a light powder charge and a good hazmat free deal on primers/powder I can reload for 17-18ct/round. Have a stockpile of brass in buckets.

Food for thought if you do not reload yet. And I realize the startup cost and time involved. Time is valuable.

Bought a case of that and another few boxes of Federal 9BPLE for the PC9 and AR9.

I wouldbe hesitant running a +P+ through any blowback action
the bolt Mass and springs will delay opening based on normal pressures
a locking action such as a pistol would be safer for those who insist on pushing into unknown and futile pressure territories

I'd rather be counting on a 40 than 38 special or 380. I have a 226 and a 229 both chambered in .40. I also have 9mm conversion kits for both, that function perfectly. There is nothing wrong with .40. And nothing wrong with more options and choices.
Sorry, I am a total fan boy of the Fortay and was just playing upon the utter disdain that NES has for the round... I guess my sarcasm was not as obvious as I hoped. I have a G22, G27, Kahr PM40, and a Springfield P-9 Factory Comp all in 40. I reload so I am not too worried about what the lgs is getting for ammo but during any of the shortages (since 2013) .40 has always been available. Also, one of the three letter agencies bought something like 4 billion rounds of it so it could be available if...

a locking action such as a pistol would be safer for those who insist on pushing into unknown and futile pressure territories

Add a suppressor to the mix and it makes it even more of a risk. I recently have been seeing a couple of CZ Scorpions with receivers that have been blown apart on Instagram. I don’t remember if they were being run with a suppressor at the time.

I have a PSA AK-V I have been running hot reloads through. No failures yet. I have not run a suppressor on it yet though. I think I will tread cautiously.

well, pistol season just ended. So I can wait until after to restock my competition ammo. But trap season is starting and I haven't bought anything yet. I'm screwed there. I'll have to try and grab some this week. maybe I have enough until things settle. I'll have to check.

two weeks ago I saw the speer lawman 124g go out of stock in the time it took me to browse around on tsusa. I took it as a sign and grabbed few more cases. glad I did before this panic rush. this whole Corona scare has brought the wife around to actually accepting my prepping behavior (she never stopped me before but always thought it was just me being silly... now she actually gets it...)

Lol then why do uzis pretty much love warm-hot ammo?

IMHO 9pble really isn't that hot. It's not even in hirtenberger territory. Any gun that isn't ancient or a POS will eat it just fine.

.22 is still a bargain. Just ordered some for < 4 cents around.
For those of you on this thread that were not around during the last shortage, .22 was going for $50 per box of 500. Seriously.

I recently picked up 2K of .22lr because of that crap. I looked last night and the lowest round count I have across any of the 11-12 calibers/gauges I have is ~500 rounds. The most of any one such round is ~3K, And I’m still buying if I can find the right prices.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep is exactly for times like this.

I’ve shot alot of +P/+P+and I don’t notice much difference in recoil if at all except in my Kahr CM9. That’s a very short and small pistol though. Is it really that hot though? Has anyone compiled any data for the powder content in 9bple vs standard pressure ammo?

Anywho, I appreciate your knowledge in the matter.

Stopped by 4S after work today. 5 box limit per caliber. $14.99 for a box of 9. Johnny Cashregister says it's because of the new vendor prices, but it came off the same pallet of Winchester Target that's been sitting there for the past three months. Wtf is this bs? Do the bullet making machines have the Coronavirus. Market Basket never doubled the price on our precious toilet paper even though they were wiped out.
Do I have any other options other than hand loading? Is it crossbow time?
Your thoughts....
First problem 4S. second poor planning. I get ammo without ever leaving the couch and my Cheetos !

1584200863278.png

Back
Top Bottom