• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammo shortage??

Stopped by 4S after work today. 5 box limit per caliber. $14.99 for a box of 9. Johnny Cashregister says it's because of the new vendor prices, but it came off the same pallet of Winchester Target that's been sitting there for the past three months. Wtf is this bs? Do the bullet making machines have the Coronavirus. Market Basket never doubled the price on our precious toilet paper even though they were wiped out.
Do I have any other options other than hand loading? Is it crossbow time?
Your thoughts....
It slingshot time lol.all u need is rocks for ammo and rubberbands

Stopped by 4S after work today. 5 box limit per caliber. $14.99 for a box of 9. Johnny Cashregister says it's because of the new vendor prices, but it came off the same pallet of Winchester Target that's been sitting there for the past three months. Wtf is this bs? Do the bullet making machines have the Coronavirus. Market Basket never doubled the price on our precious toilet paper even though they were wiped out.
Do I have any other options other than hand loading? Is it crossbow time?
Your thoughts....
I just picked up some 9mm this morning $13 a box, I paid $10 last weekend from the guy. I should of bought more then. I was going to buy some .380 but not at $18 a box.

I’ve shot alot of +P/+P+and I don’t notice much difference in recoil if at all except in my Kahr CM9. That’s a very short and small pistol though. Is it really that hot though? Has anyone compiled any data for the powder content in 9bple vs standard pressure ammo?

Anywho, I appreciate your knowledge in the matter.

perceived recoil is a function of momentum, which is conserved
unrelated to chamber pressures, which is the issue at hand
a blowback employs mass of bolt to keep the chamber closed
there is a minor contribution by the weight of the bolt spring tension
pressure goes up, lock time shortens, which increases the risk of a kaboom

the advantage of any locking action, whether tilting or rotating, whatever, is there's a fixed amount of lock time relative to dwell time
so long as fully in locked position, it ensures enough time for projectile to escape barrel before unlocking
this is why it's still safe to shoot a browning action pistol even when the recoil spring is weak as shit, so long as still locks up
blowback has no such mechanism

Lol then why do uzis pretty much love warm-hot ammo?

IMHO 9pble really isn't that hot. It's not even in hirtenberger territory. Any gun that isn't ancient or a POS will eat it just fine.

aren't uzi designed around NATO spec? which is a 124 gr going 1150-1200 ft/s. that's in mild +P territory IIRC
9BPLE is supposedly a 115 going 1300, dang fast and from a carbine would probably be in 1400-1600 ft/s range

a 16" carbine has a longer barrel which will increase dwell time, thus requiring an even heavier bolt or spring
even +P ammo in a modern carbine i would avoid
they're best suited to standard pressure FMJ
most JHP's are going to be going too fast out of carbine with projectile often "failing" at least by most accepted criteria
9BPLE woudl be smoking fast out of a carbine probably 1500-1600 ft/s, the projectile will certainly fail at such velocities

look there's a reason we don't see any blowback 357 sig carbines out there. at some point pressures make blowback not feasible
kriss makes a 10mm vector (which I own) and they've put a damn heavy spring in there for a reason

--

ultimately I agree you're probably fine running 9BPLE through your carbine
but i wouldn't be a good forum member i failed to criticize everyone ;)
i would, howver, be intrigued by the MV's if you have a chance to run through a chrono would be cool to see

Last edited:
^this is why I've been preaching .40 S&W for past 2-3 years. since the cartridge is perceived as having syphilis, low overall demand makes it less sensitive to panic buying. i love me some 180 gr .40 through a G22 or P229 it's good stuff.

Can't tell you how significantly less retarded I feel for picking up a Gen4 Glock 35 last fall. I mean I def still feel kinda retarded. Just less now.

Dude the last ammoscare of 2012 was so bad the only ammo that you could find readily was oddball hunting rounds like 270 win or 35 rem. Even 30-30 was scarce......you could find some shotgun ammo fairly easily.....but there was NO 556 7.62x51 or 7.62x39 for almost a year and handgun cals forget it .......get that.......22lr was the first to go and the last to return.....almost a year of empty ammo shelves everywhere.

If you have a license now you should get what you can and stock up.

Got all I could afford. I do anticipate the election ammo crisis. But I thought I would have an extra month to save up for ammo... [sad]

Don't know if that is a joke or not, but I'll take that chance. PM sent. [smile]

I already checked out the recommended place, and this is what I found:

I went to place an order, and it said that if ammo sales were prohibited in my state, that there would be a restocking fee of 5%. Then I checked out their sales/shipping restrictions for ammo, and saw this:

"9. You do not live in a state, city, or county that prohibits you from owning, purchasing, or transferring ammunition. The following is a list of areas where we will not ship ammunition to. This is not a comprehensive list, but is meant as a guide. It is in no way meant to include all laws and restrictions across the United States. Please contact the authorities in your area for any possible restrictions. If you do live in a restricted area, your order will be canceled.

California: No Sales to the cities of Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco.
Alaska: No Sales. Must be shipped to a freight forwarder.
Hawaii: No Sales. Must be shipped to a freight forwarder.
Illinois: No Sales to the city of Chicago. All other Illinois residents must email us a copy of their FOID card in addition to their State ID. Ammunition must ship to an address on one of these ID's.
Massachusetts: No Sales
Maryland: No Sales to the City of Annapolis and Montgomery County
New York: No Sales to New York City, or its five Burroughs. Starting January 1st, 2014 all ammunition must be sent to a FFL.
Washington DC: No Sales.
New Jersey: When ordering ammunition commonly used in a handgun/to be used in a handgun, email us a copy of your Firearms ID. We must ship to the address on the FID."

Bottom line...they won't sell to those of us in MA

Frank

Shortage certainly seems much less severe than some of the past panics (remember sandy hook). Nice to see TSU isn’t jacking up prices. Still a good excuse to get another case or two
Every time they restocked ammo the past 3 weeks it has increased each time. Granted they did not go from 8 to 14 over night... but its getting there.

All of you guys are absolutely correct. Lesson learned. I have only been shooting long enough to associate 9mm with an $8.99 price tag. Are these crisis periods fairly cyclical, like summer oil prices? Or do they require a triggering (ha ha ha ha) event?
I’ve been telling ya to buy!

I just got home after shooting an IDPA match at a semi-local club. Saw some people I haven't seen in a while. One of them said that he was in Palmetto State Armory Thursday, and they're running low on ammo. He said that they told him that they weren't getting shipments in right now of ammo.

I think I'll go order some more primers. I have enough to make a MA fire inspector shit his pants - but I could use some more.

I honestly don't think this panic will be long-lived. Once the virus passes, it'll go back to where we were. Competition will stop permanently higher prices.

I honestly don't think this panic will be long-lived. Once the virus passes, it'll go back to where we were.

Not sure if serious...

-the prime shooting season is starting in a week or two for gun games involving handguns
-this is an election year, and the election is really not that far away.
-Walmart isn't in the game anymore (when they were, this created more price stability, to a degree).
-the people making the ammo and distributors have literally changed the base price of the
ammo at the wholesale level.
When this # actually falls, it does not fall overnight.

9mm wasn't $8 a box through the entire obama administration. It took Trump getting elected and the gun market going completely soft/dead for it to fall that far.

Competition will stop permanently higher prices.

Lol no, it doesn't, not when the guys making the ammo have changed the
market floor. The only way to remove the sticky price is if they sell so little that their revenue is damaged from lack of overall sales.

It might drop a dollar or something once the corona-douche factor goes away, but there's no way in hell you're ever seeing $8/box again this year. Not a chance. Even moderate market pressure easily supports 9mm at 10 bucks a box. Hell during Obamascares etc we were practically grateful to see it for that.

-Mike

The club was crowded this morning. Maybe this increase in shooting and decrease in ammo availability is due to people practicing more to better shoot their neighbors who come to steal their toilet paper.
crowded because they wanted to steal the club tp right off the dispenser in the rest rooms.

I already checked out the recommended place, and this is what I found:

I went to place an order, and it said that if ammo sales were prohibited in my state, that there would be a restocking fee of 5%. Then I checked out their sales/shipping restrictions for ammo, and saw this:

"9. You do not live in a state, city, or county that prohibits you from owning, purchasing, or transferring ammunition. The following is a list of areas where we will not ship ammunition to. This is not a comprehensive list, but is meant as a guide. It is in no way meant to include all laws and restrictions across the United States. Please contact the authorities in your area for any possible restrictions. If you do live in a restricted area, your order will be canceled.

California: No Sales to the cities of Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco.
Alaska: No Sales. Must be shipped to a freight forwarder.
Hawaii: No Sales. Must be shipped to a freight forwarder.
Illinois: No Sales to the city of Chicago. All other Illinois residents must email us a copy of their FOID card in addition to their State ID. Ammunition must ship to an address on one of these ID's.
Massachusetts: No Sales
Maryland: No Sales to the City of Annapolis and Montgomery County
New York: No Sales to New York City, or its five Burroughs. Starting January 1st, 2014 all ammunition must be sent to a FFL.
Washington DC: No Sales.
New Jersey: When ordering ammunition commonly used in a handgun/to be used in a handgun, email us a copy of your Firearms ID. We must ship to the address on the FID."

Bottom line...they won't sell to those of us in MA

Frank
Try: Ammotogo.com send a copy of your MA LTC

I'm having problems finding 9mm bullets that I need for reloading. I still have quite a few but I was trying to shore up my supply a bit. They're out there but many brands are saying out of stock under the selections.
These are my go to. I can send you my recipe if interested PM me. 9mm 135 HP

If the market keeps dropping and Trump starts to look vulnerable in Nov, my bet is prices actually will go higher. And if Trump loses - look out. Guns, ammo, and everything related will go through the roof. Of course if he wins (and he better for our sake) everything should go back to the normal of a few weeks ago soon after.

.22 is still a bargain. Just ordered some for < 4 cents around.
For those of you on this thread that were not around during the last shortage, .22 was going for $50 per box of 500. Seriously.

zero hour arms was charging about$00.15/round for any .22 they had in stock. no, i didn't buy any

Not sure if serious...

-the prime shooting season is starting in a week or two for gun games involving handguns
-this is an election year, and the election is really not that far away.
-Walmart isn't in the game anymore (when they were, this created more price stability, to a degree).
-the people making the ammo and distributors have literally changed the base price of the
ammo at the wholesale level.
When this # actually falls, it does not fall overnight.

9mm wasn't $8 a box through the entire obama administration. It took Trump getting elected and the gun market going completely soft/dead for it to fall that far.

Lol no, it doesn't, not when the guys making the ammo have changed the
market floor. The only way to remove the sticky price is if they sell so little that their revenue is damaged from lack of overall sales.

It might drop a dollar or something once the corona-douche factor goes away, but there's no way in hell you're ever seeing $8/box again this year. Not a chance. Even moderate market pressure easily supports 9mm at 10 bucks a box. Hell during Obamascares etc we were practically grateful to see it for that.

-Mike

I'm looking forward to all the posts in the next 7 months where ill prepared people complain about ammo availability and price. Popcorn time!!! Is that wrong? LOL.

Just ordered a little more.
I wasn't around for the last ammo shortage either. I think I'm pretty well set.
But it's like the toilet paper everyone is buying so I I feel like I have to.
It may be time to figure out this reloading thing. Never made much sense to me because Ammo has been pretty cheap. But it looks like that may change. Screenshot_20200314-204949.png

Back
Top Bottom