ammo shortage problem?

FJM25

NES Member
Just wondering if anyone else who has handguns posted in the 'Classifieds' is having a tough time selling their posted items. Do you think that the 'ammo shortage' has something to do with it? Do you think it possible that people are holding off purchasing weapons that they may not be able to buy ammo for? I've had an item posted for 3 weeks at what I think is a reasonable price and no bites. I have looked at other postings and see items at great prices that have been posted for months. Interested in hearing your thoughts?

FJM25

I think the overall state of the economy has people re-thinking or thinking harder about purchasing optional items, or luxury items. Supply and demand,,,means the prices should come down even further.....[grin]

But to your main point -- I'm sure ammo shortage is tied into all of that.

BTW -- I'm looking for a Beretta 92FS - you have one for sale that's priced right, I might buy it.

To be honest I think that ammo shortage is not that big of a deal anymore. I know I am able to find stuff that I was not able to a few months ago.

I don't think it has anything to do with an ammo shortage.

I think a bigger reality is that the economy sucks and a lot of folks have lost their jobs. No paychecks = people less eager to buy stuff.

-Mike

Your asking almost $500 for a used Filipino pistol that sells for about $400 brand new. Ya, I know you can't get RI .45s that easy here but they are available. RI doesn't have the reputation that S&W has and for about $200 more someone can get a S&W.
And if someone looks hard enough they can find a Colt been there, done that, warhorse, mixmaster, rearsenal for between $500-700.

Your asking almost $500 for a used Filipino pistol that sells for about $400 brand new. Ya, I know you can't get RI .45s that easy here but they are available. RI doesn't have the reputation that S&W has and for about $200 more someone can get a S&W.
And if someone looks hard enough they can find a Colt been there, done that, warhorse, mixmaster, rearsenal for between $500-700.
Bingo.

If something isn't selling, it is generally because the price is too high.

What about accessories? I posted some AR magazines and .223 ammo. I thought they were hot items, and I don't think the price is too high. Granted I didn't post them that long ago, but my guess is that, with the economy, the threshold for a price being too high is now lower.

JonJ and M1911 - Fair enough, but I would go singing Smith & Wesson's praises so loudly. Before I purchased the RIA I purchased a NIB SW1911 (a tad over $800) locally. After 6 months back and forth with S&W service dept. the pistol still had feed, extraction and ejection problems. Thought about selling it here but didn't want a reputation for selling junk. Sold it a KTP and took a beating. It was a pistol I wouldn't bet anyone's life on. Soured me on S&W. I know... there's always a lemon in the bunch. The RIA has run great right out of the box. Not a single hiccup. You say cheap, I say great value. Any other RIA owners will most likely tell you the same.

FJM25

JonJ and M1911 - Fair enough, but I would go singing Smith & Wesson's praises so loudly. Before I purchased the RIA I purchased a NIB SW1911 (a tad over $800) locally. After 6 months back and forth with S&W service dept. the pistol still had feed, extraction and ejection problems. Thought about selling it here but didn't want a reputation for selling junk. Sold it a KTP and took a beating. It was a pistol I wouldn't bet anyone's life on. Soured me on S&W. I know... there's always a lemon in the bunch. The RIA has run great right out of the box. Not a single hiccup. You say cheap, I say great value. Any other RIA owners will most likely tell you the same.

FJM25

Unfortunately you're target market isn't other RIA owners, it's people who don't own one. I'm pretty sure M1911 hit the nail on the head.

What about accessories? I posted some AR magazines and .223 ammo. I thought they were hot items, and I don't think the price is too high. Granted I didn't post them that long ago, but my guess is that, with the economy, the threshold for a price being too high is now lower.

Since you brought it up, $30 each for used mags is out of line. Those same mags can be found online for between $10 and $20. I haven't looked at your ammo so I won't comment on that.

FJM25
Every manufacturer has lemons. I'm sure your RI functions fine. S&W has name recognition, a long reputation, made in the USA and a lifetime warranty. Buyers may be more comfortable with that over the RI. Not to mention the price. You're still over retail. People with do that with Springfields , Glocks etc but may be hesitant with RI.
I have considered RI. I had my dealer check on availability for me about 6 months ago. The only reason I didn't spring for it at the time is the distributor was out of stock. I didn't want one bad enough to pay over the street price. I lost the bug for it and moved on. I'd love to try a RI in 9mm.

Then I'm sure you'll have no problems selling your RIA, and everyone will recognize how great a pistol your RIA is.

Sure. That's it.

definitely a cash shortage here rather than ammo shortage. If i had the cash I probably would have already bought half the stuff in the classifieds [smile]

FJM25

Ammo probably has nothing to do with it....plenty of 45 out there now.

Economy sucks...simple as that. All gun stores are feeling the pinch and the party is generally over. Wal mart may not have ammo...but gun stores and Cabelas have plenty.

I have a RIA tactical which I paid less than 500 for brand new....I will vouch for the pistol, it's a great value have many rounds thru mine without a problem. They are not that hard to get here and should not be marked up as such...sorry to say. Neither should glocks either but that's another can of worms.....

If your pistol is a standard GI model it would be considerably less in value than 500 IMHO...for what it's worth.

Last edited:
To be honest I think that ammo shortage is not that big of a deal anymore. I know I am able to find stuff that I was not able to a few months ago.

I'm not so sure about that, at least in my hood. yesterday i was at wally world and i was told that they received a shipment in that consisted of 1 box 44 mag. (which i took), 1 box of 9mm 50pk, 1 box of 9mm 100pk and 1 box of .40 cal 100pk that was the whole shipment. to be fair they did have other .40 on the shelf. but that was the whole shipment.

Ammo, most who could buy in bulk did so before the rise of price and lack of stock.
Those who could afford to buy 5.56 even the cheaper stuff @ 10/box 20 did so also after the rise of prices.
Now that the local market is filling most are holding on to the price drop to .30 per round or cheaper.

From what I see in my area is that the Big Box retailers are short on the normal stuff like 9mm, .38, .40

Gun shops seem to have a decent amount in stock right now but their prices are a lot higher. I don't think it is the shops fault though, I have a feeling the suppliers/manufacturers are raising the price because of demand. Simple ECON101.

Unless you reload, ammo is certainly expensive these days. Yes, it's starting to show up in stores again, but for the casual shooter the prices of ammo just plain suck.

But, I think the fact that economy is so bad is the primary reason for slower sales on NES. For a lot of people, once you have 1 or 2 pistols and 1 or 2 rifles, anything else is a luxury. Of course, the flip side is that if you have $, I think (as many people have predicted) that the post-panic period that we may entering is going to be a great buyers market.

You can believe what you want, but if you WANT to sell your item, price it to sell. Take a quick look at the classifieds. Overpriced items are easy to identify; bump,bump.tht,ttt, bump, bumparoonie, bump, on and on.

I have no problem with any poster's prices however. Your ad, your price. The problem arises when an asking price is often higher than full retail and the poster has unrealistic expectations.

Also what is funny is the amount of ammo available on line. For free states and mail order. Here in mass we are not so lucky

Last edited:
So are you saying you think there's someone out there thinking, "I want to buy that RI 1911 for $500, but I won't because I can't find .45ACP for it?"

Unlikely. The gun is priced too high in the middle of an economic slowdown. Maybe a few years ago someone might have said "f*ck it" and jumped on the gun, but consumers are being more conservative right now and guns aren't moving as fast. More people are selling, fewer people are buying, and those who are buying are taking advantage of the market and holding out for deals.

I've have an XD45C on the classifieds for about a week - a few years ago people were throwing $100 bills at me every time I went to the range, trying to get me to sell. But in the past week, the response to the gun has been moderate at best. I'm not surprised - it's just the way things are right now.

And you know what - maybe this is the way things SHOULD be. We've gone consumer crazy over the last couple decades, buying **** we don't need at outrageous prices. The national savings rate is negative and consumer debt is at a record high. No one will perk up, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who've financed their big, evil gun collections with plastic money. If nothing else, maybe this recession will smack some common sense into people…

So are you saying you think there's someone out there thinking, "I want to buy that RI 1911 for $500, but I won't because I can't find .45ACP for it?"

Unlikely. The gun is priced too high in the middle of an economic slowdown. Maybe a few years ago someone might have said "f*ck it" and jumped on the gun, but consumers are being more conservative right now and guns aren't moving as fast. More people are selling, fewer people are buying, and those who are buying are taking advantage of the market and holding out for deals.

I've have an XD45C on the classifieds for about a week - a few years ago people were throwing $100 bills at me every time I went to the range, trying to get me to sell. But in the past week, the response to the gun has been moderate at best. I'm not surprised - it's just the way things are right now.

And you know what - maybe this is the way things SHOULD be. We've gone consumer crazy over the last couple decades, buying **** we don't need at outrageous prices. The national savings rate is negative and consumer debt is at a record high. No one will perk up, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who've financed their big, evil gun collections with plastic money. If nothing else, maybe this recession will smack some common sense into people…

If anything I think we are going to in an oversupply situation I think in a few months. I think the manufacturers have overproduced in a bad economy. Personally I've put off most of my gun buying (except for normal priced ammo) and saved, since Obama got in, because I thought this would happen......people were being impulsive. I think there will be a backlash of people selling stuff they bought impulsively to pay bills.

I bought a couple lowers on speculation with money I was going to put in the stock market.....turns out the stock market would have been a much better investment.....lowers are a dime a dozen right now. But I'll hold on to them just in case. I'm just glad I didn't buy a whole mess of them.

Now that could turn around in a heart beat if one of those assclowns on capitol hill mentions gun control....but even those retards know the political climate isn't good for that right now.

I think a lot of the gun buying frenzy was people buying guns that that thought would be banned. Thats not to say that other guns didn't sell but hunting guns didn't go as fast as protection guns.

Do you think right now the handgun/gun market is like the real estate market? People with the means to buy are buying because some deals are to good to pass up? There must be a huge market right now for used guns and not so much for new?

Would you rather buy new or used if you had a preference? (asking anyone interested in responding)

selling

your talking about NEW ENGLAND here they cant keep pistols on the shelves.wal mart had ammo not much but enuf.as to mags there cheap
GI contract $12 20/30 rd same
get the CDNN cat.go on line.
your screwed in Mass.but Ii think thats changeing a lot of people are peaved and turning on democrates.

Would you rather buy new or used if you had a preference? (asking anyone interested in responding)

I tend to try to buy used because (at least in CT) you can often find a hardly fired handgun for $200 less than new.

Also, as far as revolvers go, I tend to like the older heavier revolvers that were made in the early 70's etc (S&W Highway Patrolman .357 N frame for example). The newer ones just don't seem to be made as well like they used to. (my own opinion of course).

Back
Top Bottom